Juan Camilo Hernandez News & Comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by crzdcolombian, Sep 26, 2016.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    CQ knows U20s futbol better than anyone. I think he would recognize that Cucho's presence in the WC would be crucial for both the team and his own progress. I love Cucho like the next guy but there's no current merit to have him as a 'must'. I just don't see the rush to bring him up at a time where we have sooo much power upfront and players in form:
    Cuadrado, James, JFQ, Falcao, Duvan, Borre, Borja, Diaz, etc... unlike the U20s who desperately need a power player like Cucho.

J-Mezzy and pepinointer repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is simply going to come down to Queiroz and what he feels Cucho can bring to his system. That and Reyes probably on his knees begging for him to be a part of the group that goes to Poland.

I have made my opinions known, If Cucho gets called up for Japan and Korea and does well I think he deserves to be a part of the Copa America process and friendlies against Peru.

Furnaccio repped this.
  3. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Question. If Cucho gets called up to the friendlies in march, he is still eligible for the u20 WC, right?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes he would be eligible. You can play for both your Senior team and Youth World Cup team.

Furnaccio repped this.
  5. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah I know he has fanboyism

But there is no universe where it makes more sense to take him to CA over U20 WC. In one we are stacked and it could be argued hes not even deserving of a call up based on the other players

On the other hand, we have a team in desperate need of talent, leadership, and grit. All things that Cucho provides.

Really a no brainer for me

kromekote, dapip, crzdcolombian and 4 others repped this.
  6. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You could make a case for him going to Copa America but only to play a different role than a 9. A false 9 / 2nd striker is not good enough, we have that covered already. I don't think Queiroz is going sacrifice any of the strikers available.
    As an AMF he would have to compete with James, Quintero & co. Not gonna happen. As a winger maybe. But it's not clear how he would perform in there. And there is Muriel already for that role. And Quintero and James could be used there too.

Then there's the problem that Queiroz might want to play it safe in the beginning of his career as the coach of the Colombian NT. I can imagine him relying on proven, experienced players while introducing his own tactics. I'm not totally against him playing in the senior team, but still think this is a difficult moment. And the sub-20 WC is not a bad option, is it?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Did you watch the Sudamericano?

Cucho's potential teammates could not even score if the goal was the size of the Brooklyn bridge.

Maybe he can help out with his creativity and his aforementioned gritty ways and never ending determination but it might be very frustrating for him if he is double marked and passes it to bums who will kick it way up into section 300.

8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I believe Cucho is good and gritty enough to turn that attack around. They need a go to guy upfront. He is perfect

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Your perception of reality might change like the Matrix if he Neo's his way past Japanese and Korean defenders in March.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly. Sinisterra and some other reinforcements can bring positive changes too.
    I just don't see this team doing much. Much like the 2015 team that lost to USA in the second round.

11. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But isn't the poor attacking play in the Sudamericano the perfect reason to bring Cucho? I'm sure Cucho has also learnt to deal with frustrations in Huesca.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Your making the case that the World Cup is not a bad option. I am saying that compared to the Copa America it is the bad option.

13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Idk. You could hand him the team and give him the leadership role that quintero had. Or he could most likely sit on the bench in CA.

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #414 HomietheClown, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    I think the issue is would it be more beneficial for him to be at a Youth World Cup managed by Reyes with a bunch of guys that don't know what they are doing and maybe play 4 games, 5 if they get a good draw/bracket.

Or be integrated with a real manager and real National team Senior players who have already started a bond with him in October when he looked like he belonged (albeit a friendly).

I think players learn more within the higher levels even if they are on the bench. They learn what it takes to get off the bench eventually.
    In Poland he will learn that his team is not that good. I hope I am wrong but they just don't seem to get it offensively.

15. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cucho doesn't have enough merit for the senior team to desperately make room for him. Even from Cucho's perspective I see no problem him playing in the WC instead of Copa America. Would he learn more in the bench of the senior team vs playing 90 mins in the sub-20 team? Only God knows.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With all due respect, No one is making the argument to desperately make room for him on a roster. That is something you are just making up on the spot.

What is being suggested is that he get called up for the March friendlies and if he looks like he belongs to get called up for the Peru friendlies.
    In that case he will not be going to Poland.

17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'd be all for cucho going to CA even if he doesnt deserve it because of his development

But not on a u20 wc year where that team actually needs him and badly

18. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    The way I see it, unless Cucho destroys it in the March friendlies (very possible, but less likely simply because there's not enough minutes to go around) he would have a limited role at Copa America.

Likely a super sub position since getting both James and Quintero, our best offensive talent, on the field at the same time requires us to make sacrifices since neither is particularly fast nor particularly physical. With both on the field, you NEED a pacey winger, or a strong second striker, or a pure 5, etc etc. Not saying you can't get get a system that benefits all three players, but I'm just highlighting that there's SO little time between now and then for Quieroz to figure out the best core of players and the best ways to use them. Given his pedigree, Cucho is fighting for a last roster spot, not a position in the starting 11.

So, if the idea is doing what benefits Cucho, the WC is clearly the better option. He'll play every minute of that tournament and get some exposure. If the team is trash, the team is trash, but that wouldn't hurt Cucho's reputation (playing in the last sub 20 didn't, and he was awful in that tournament).

However, when our teams are successful, like in 2011 and 2013, the European clubs come calling. I'm personally very concerned about Cucho having to continually play for club teams that fight for promotion or against relegation. To me, he's not going to develop at the rate he should until he gets to a team that can actually attack. So, my hope is he plays the u 20 tournament, kills it, and a mid table team grabs him for next season.

Again, this is my thinking if we're doing what's best for Cucho. It's yet to be determined whether he could be more valuable to the senior squad now, but I'm more concerned about his long term career with the NT, and his club will play a huge factor in that.

PS. I just hope Reyes doesn't pin all his hopes and strategy on Cucho like Piscis did a couple years ago. He's not that kind of player...

Bomb8 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    If he plays well enough in friendlies, better than others, than why not?

I just wouldn't bet on that given that Falcao, Duvan, Muriel, Borja, perhaps Bacca, and maybe even Borre or Diaz are all basically making first auditions in 180 minutes. Too little time for too many options.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Did it help any of our players development in 2015 looking as mediocre as they did in the World Cup? I can't honestly think of any beneficiaries from that New Zealand squad. They basically are where I think they should be and some worse off than what I initially thought.

Maybe Cucho goes out there gets a golden boot and leads the team to new heights and gets so much exposure it does get him into a better club situation.
    I am not so stubborn to close the door on it. I have already said if the Federation and coaching staffs feel it is best for him to go to Poland than so be it.
    I just think it is already a lost cause at that youth level. As I said, I hope I am wrong and we do well but the team looks so anemic.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As of right now since there is no Cuadrado and Villa's playing time situation is in limbo his best bet would be to be an option at right wing. Not sure if it is his best position but I have seen him roam around the right wing in many of his games. We shall see.

I have a feeling Cucho may not even be called up for the March friendlies if Reyes gets his way.

Azucarero repped this.
  22. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    That squad had an awful showing. Like I said, Cucho's benefit really is contingent on the success of the team and how far they can go. I have hopes they can turn it around.

BTW, I think that tournament definitely helped Borre get signed by Atletico.

J-Mezzy and pepinointer repped this.
  23. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope too that he will be called up for the friendlies. But like Azucarero said, there isn't much time for him to impress Queiroz. If there happens to be injuries, the senior team might need him in Brazil. But whether he goes to Brazil or Poland it's not going to determine the direction of his career. This looks like a win win situation for all the sides.

The only unfortunate scenario would be if Cucho himself gets injured.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He was playing well at Cali but you know that team better than I do.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know this to be true or not true.
    It will be interesting to see how it develops or if it even develops.