Jozy, Rossi: Villareal v Getafe (R) 12/6 2:00 pm EST, Gol TV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by austieaust1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must've been watching a different game, but the fact that Altidore got a lower rating than anyone on the backline is ridiculous. Javi Venta was being abused on the wings in the 1st half. Neither centerback did well at all either, especially with the first goal.

And I would say that Pires was a lage piece of the ineffectiveness of the first half. He didn't move the ball quickly and with both him and Santi Cazorla not tracking back, it allowed Getafe to counter at will.

Not saying that Altidore was any better than mediocre, but the worst on the team? That's ridiculous.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pires was a lot more active than Senna, Capdevila, and MIA Cazorla.

I had to go check Marca to see if Cazorla even played.

Jozy isn't expected to play like Rossi; Rossi is a CF, Jozy a striker. They both played their positions as instructed; Pelligrini adjusted in the 2nd half and had his men play down the sides and cross more.

I agree about Javi Venta, too. Gonzalo and Gidin were suspect, too, but contributed offensively.

BTW, I love Rossi's free kicks / corners -- he had a direct kick near the goal line that could've been tapped in.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The post was edited by the mod.

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Interesting" first post.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought so, too, Probably easy to figure who is it. ;)

6. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007

But he's right, that's real douchebaggery to red card someone for a simple comment.

I mean christ, Rossi plays on the same team as Jozy. If Rossi blows a play, we can't mention it? Who the f*ck is the Nazi that came up with that piece of Stephen Hawking-level genius?

7. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Pretty idiotic of the mods to red card AND delete the post in question. I made the above post based on what was in actuality a "cleaned up" post.

Really mods, we're big boys and girls, it won't scar me to see why someone was carded, so that when people start commenting on it, we know what we're talking about.

I, for instance had to go back 4 pages, and find in another poster that quoted the red-carded guy to realize I was commenting on a mod-edited posted.

oo, when you edit someone's post, you could say [edited by MOD]. That would prolly clear up confusion.

8. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming -- I have no clue -- that the new poster was simply created to antognize, and was red-carded. A duplicate account.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, though. It's like stepping on the field and seeing red within minutes. Hell, I shouldn't laugh that happened to me in my first college game. Super excited came in as a sub saw a player on the dribble and came sliding in on a tackle. Problem was he made a cut and I got no where near the ball, all ankle! Opps, on the pitch literally 45 seconds! Needless to say after a suspension I didn't play for a while! :D

10. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahaha sorry to hear that...it happens to the best of us :D...

anyways...um rating was waaaay offi would give all those 4 backs a 4-4.5, Jozy a 5, and Rossi a 7, Capdevilla lost the ball quite a lot too...w/e...its just one guy who did those ratings right?

11. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    This isn't my line. I don't remember who used it first on here:

I hate how much I love this game.

12. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only saw the second half, and despite being off his timing and missing great chances, Jozy got little of the ball. His header led to the first comeback goal by Pires. But you could really view his presence on the field and despite low ratings, I've got the faith he'll play well vs Mexico in 2 months especially if he starts for Villareal some more.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Jozy was on an island for much of the game. It helps to on track earlier by receiving the ball in good positions and start developing a rhythm. Unfortunately, his teammates were not looking for him early. On the few occasions there was a centering pass/cross into the goalbox there did seem to be more of an effort to pick Jozy out. When he was passed the ball it was usually on the wing or in the corner and it is a little hard to make much out of that. Even good wingers lose the ball quite often in those circumstances and Jozy isn't a winger.

When Jozy's played well running with the ball at goal it usually comes in the final third in a more central position. On this team it will take some time for him to dial in with his teammates so that they look to give him the ball where he wants it. I saw him getting in position to receive the ball several times where the potential pass was never made and often this resulted in wasted possession. He is a striker, so for a team looking to score goals not to try and get him the ball where it is useful is pretty ridiculous.

VCF played like crap defensively and were lucky to get bailed out. I don't think that goal Pires hit was even intentional, not one replay angle I saw showed him actually trying to strike the ball.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jozy had an uneven game... he still has a lot of holes there... he seemed off with his teammates way too often... a pass is made, and Jozy didnt make the run or vice versa...

he also needs to work harder... im still stunned that he didnt make an effortat that ball from Rossi at the end of the game too...

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing it's more like getting tossed while making an ass of yourself on the field, then putting on a disguise and getting subbed back in, and getting a red when the ref sees right through it.

16. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Might as well burn the flag with these anti-American comments.;)

100% true.

17. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with most of that, but I don't think there is any way he is getting to that ball, and it's easy to sit here and criticize the effort, but sometimes the legs just aren't there that late, especially when you've been playing as a lone forward. Rossi is a striker, but Jozy was a lone up top with Getafe's defender hanging all over him for much of the night. That does wear you out. Like you said, uneven game, but I don't think that play was the biggest problem.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Bobby Valentine ploy?

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    never said his play was the biggest problem with that team... 3 goals in the first half and their midfield getting ran over was THE problem...

in saying this, I know Jozy was tired... first time playing 90 mins all season and he never really had the fitness for 90 mins... but you have to make an effort there, even if he doesnt get it... their was a lot of that too the last 20 mins of the match, so again, he was probably tired... it was just uneven from him... he will do better in the future

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Villarreal 3 - Getafe 3
    5+ Min Highlights
    http://videos.sapo.pt/e35zDgnTUwELSq43O1aW

Edit:

Vid shows Jozy was offside when the ball was passed to Rossi on the last play.

Hence, even if Jozy scored, I don't think it would have counted.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't re-watch the play, but it sounds like you've got the offside rule wrong.
    Unless Jozy was involved in the pass to Rossi somehow (I saw it once yesterday and I don't remember that being the case) then it isn't offside. It only matters where Jozy was on Rossi's attempted pass to the back post.

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Maybe I have the offside rule wrong...

When the ball was passed to Rossi by Eguren, he was on even level w/Gatefe Player..(Rossi was onside)

However, Jozy was Offside, hence if Jozy ended up scoring, Jozy goal could have been ruled offiside. ............

Also, looked like it could have been a Pk too, the defender did knock Rossi
    down...

23. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is, or have chosen his birthland to represent

24. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Determining offside would be done again at the time Rossi made the far-post cross. At that point, Jozy was in an onside position when Rossi played the cross.

Offside is not a continuation of the first play, it is determined at each time an offensive player plays the ball forward. There could be ten or more determinations of offside in an offensive build up to a goal.

25. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    o.k...........thanks..