Jozy, Rossi: Villareal v Getafe (R) 12/6 2:00 pm EST, Gol TV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by austieaust1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Rossi's speed surprises me--is he getting faster? I remember him being especially quick, but not very "fast." I grew up with a few guys like that, who were not particularly fast all though their teens only to get pretty fast around 20-21. Not normal, but does happen.

2. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree...i was frustrated when he had numerous opportunities to do something if they gave him a good nice pass....but overall...he is waaay better than franco...that heel pass to rossi was beautiful

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. I've just never come to that conclusion. You've tipped me off so maybe I focus on that aspect of his game the next few times I watch Rossi. but right now, I just attribute it to being a competitive striker. When given a chance they all go for glory. They are paid to score.

4. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Jozy looked really tired for the last 10-15 minutes. I'm also wondering if he was slightly injured on that awkward fall in the box...he was hunched over a few times after that and was moving around a little gingerly.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    He seems to draw three defenders as well. Not sure if it's cuz he's an unknown quantity for other teams, or they see him as someone you don't want to give an easy breakaway, but this is giving Rossi a lot of space to work with.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitness has never been one of his strengths. In fact, it is one area where he must really improve. It's not that he's not a 90 minute guy. I think he just has to learn when and where to channel his energy in order to conserve a bit. He plays so physical it times it drains the battery. It's part of the learning process. I think a few coaches has spoken of this.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with that. In the past, whenever the game dictates that he make extra runs (or he thinks it does) and find positions not near the goal to start from, he has always had a tendency to get winded late. He's never been the kind of player who could run 10k+ and have that not be apparent. I would hope that with experience that will improve.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Did Jozy have any good chances on goal? I got all excited when I saw the final score...then instantly bummed out when I didn't see Jozy's name.

9. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    On the first goal, he headed a cross right at the keeper, it bounced around in the box a bit, and Pires scored.

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  11. b1gs341

b1gs341 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Rossi is a greedy POS. Could have easily set Jozy up for a goal. [Rossi whining deleted.]

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude you clearly have not read the sticky on Rossi. I suggest you do.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little low for my liking. I would say in the 5-5.5 range. But I don't disagree with the comments following the rating. He showed he wasn't up to speed and wasn't in sync with everyone. I still contend that he did contribute and did show some good flashes. Also I would flip Pires and Rossi's ratings. Both were good but Pires really got the ball rolling to spark the comeback.

14. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    [​IMG]

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ADUEDUALTIDORE

ADUEDUALTIDORE New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    From what i saw I would not say he was the worst player on the pitch. I would definitely give him at least a 5.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
  18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He isn't the forward type whom you'd want running 10K anyway.

It's just one guy's opinion.

19. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way that Jozy did worse than any of those awful defenders, that's for sure. Not his fault that no one could get him the ball (in the first half).

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but he needs to be able to if called upon. Fitness is not his strong suit. He still has to be able to dig for that extra bit of endurance. With Jozy it could mean the difference between having the legs to leap for a powerful header or a weak header or a weak shot versus a good one. He gets into positions late in the game to score but sometimes the endurance lets him down and he can't put those chances away. I saw it a few times in New York and with the Baby Nats. But with that said, I think it's just a matter of learning where and how to conserve energy without compromising his game. I have no doubt it will get ironed out.

21. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    No doubt, and that guy gave a 6.5 to Javi Venta, who was very poor.(he was ok going forward but at fault to varying degrees on all 3 goals) I thought the Villarreal defense settled down once he had to come off. I'm not sure if that guy was watching the same game. He blames the 2nd goal on Gonzalo, when it was actually Javi Venta that screwed up. Also, I don't think Pires was good at all and he got a 7.

22. HailHail redded

HailHail redded Red Card

Dec 6, 2008
    He never said Rossi wasn't a YA. He just called him a greedy POS which seems like simple criticism to me.