Jozy on loan at Hull, Part IV [R]: "Brownie, you're doing a Hull of a job."

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I recall Heskey at Leicester as a bit more of a bull than Altidore is. Also, a lot more willing to play it in the air. Of course, that was 10 years ago, and the English game was a bit more aerial than now, IIRC, and also matched Leicester's style of play.

Heskey distribution game came later, I suspect, when it became clear he wouldn't score as often as Liverpool needed, and he was seemed kind of like the EPL's Herschel Walker.

2. JohnMercy22

JohnMercy22 New Member

Sep 12, 2008
  3. brianasher

brianasher Member

Sep 22, 2005
    KY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, no talk about She-ra. We don't want Jozy to get bitz-slapped by the Roy Keane of his day (say, Lee Cattermole).

I've always thought of Jozy as being a Carlton Cole with more upside. Fast and physical, but not a guy who will score beautiful goals.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    altidore to shearer? shearer actually scored alot of goals from aged 17/18

hes mopre like heskey to me

5. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    I'm hopeful that Altidore can turn in a Drogba type more so than a Heskey.

6. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    What's funny is that Heskey first scored 10 league goals when he was 18, Shearer didn't do it until he was 21.

7. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Heskey was better when he was Altidore's age and that's from someone who remember those days (not that it was even that long ago).

Altidore has talent, but I'm not blown away by him.If he's gonna be a truly top class striker he's got a long way to go.

8. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is looking more and more like Anelka with every step. But still, he will not be Drogba or Shearer or Heskey. He will be Jozy Altidore. Anything less or anything more is just pure madness.

9. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    How has he looked anything like Anelka? When Anelka was his age he scored 17 goals in the EPL and showed way more skill on the ball than Altidore.

10. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Not sure what the definitions of "elite" are, but Anelka is pretty damn close. If Altidore can match his career in ten years, he will have become the greatest US player of all time.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Agreed. I mean, I wish that Jozy had the kind of technique that Anelka had at his age, but I just don't see it. Anelka looks quicker to me, too.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol nothing like anelka either

anelka was a pacey/skillful striker with a good finishing ability

jozy is utilised for his strength

13. oshman800

oshman800 Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Jozy Altidore Keen on permanent move to Hull City

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=741521&sec=transfers&cc=5739

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine this all would be contingent of them staying in the Premier League. He wont want to play championship football and it would be unlikely Hull could afford him.

15. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i don't think the point here is compare talent, but styles. clearly a guy with a couple goals in england isn't at the level of the folks we're talking about, but he has a very nice turn and his turn and first stride reminds me of anelka.
    the way he holds the ball up reminds me of heskey.
    When i say i can't remember heskey at 20, what i mean is i'm not sure if i'm picutring his game now, or his game then. never been a huge follower, and so his game merges into one big heskey for me. Still, do remember that heskey at altidore's age was already a very polished player.
    altidore needs a breakout season, and this is clearly not that. I think the raw ability is there, but you are correct, he's yet to prove that these occassional moments are the norm, beyond the lesser moments.

17. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I don't know about polished, but he was simlair in many ways to Altidore (though arguably he's more simalir now than he was then) and he was also better too. He was the best player on the unfashionable Leicester team (which also included a ceratin Kasey Keller) that had a good run in the Premiership and won the League Cup the year after they won promotion Infact Heskey was 19 when they won the League Cup.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think a side like fulham or any other more progressing club would be better for him

unless hull get some big investment they wont be able to improve their team much

maybe he could help sunderland out as their target man jones is the laziest player ever

19. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm not trying to be an apologist for the guy, but it bears being said that local talent will bed in more quickly then foreign talent, particularly at a young age and when the local player has been a part of that set up for a long period prior to first team action. I think the age comparisons are therefore a bit disingenuous.

20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham would be a wonderful fit for Altidore. I think a pairing with Zamora would be similar to the one we're seeing now with JVoH, except that Jozy would also be getting the benefit of service from Murphy and Dempsey. Murphy can drop some sick dimes. Obviously Jozy would benefit from RH's tutelage.

I watched Bolton today, and they might be a good fit as well. They're a very interesting mix of tough and physical players (Muamba, Davies, Elmander) and skill guys (Lee, who is brilliant, and Cohen). Jozy is a good blend of both, and would fit in well.

Incidentally, Tottenham would also benefit from an all-around striker with power to complement Crouch, but I doubt they would consider Jozy. He would be an excellent fit with Spurs. Defoe is a wonderful finisher, but when he isn't scoring, he might as well be in the stands getting filthy with a pot noodle.

21. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the quotes in that article he only says he's keen to stay in England by my reading, no mention of Hull

22. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Not really, Anelka was the other comparison. He wasn't local, he hadn't been at Arsenal that long before he got his first first team game (when he was 17).

I'd say a 19 year-old Heskey was quite a bit better than Altidore is now and eh reason for that is simply he was a better player, not because he was a localboy.

Who knoiws whaqt'sgoing happen to Altidore. Considering his age all in all he is doing well. I don't think we'relooking at a superstar of the future, but who knows. Take Heskey again, he hasn't had a bad career, but he never got to the level people thought he would when he was younger.

23. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now that I think about Hull's finances are so terrible I'm not sure they could afford the 6.5m to keep him, even if they stay up.

If he continues to impress for the rest of the season and does reasonably well at the World Cup I'm sure mid-to-low table clubs will be interested. Stoke and Sunderland come to mind.

24. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I read it too.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Everton :D

Jozy is part of my master plan to build Everton-America (along with Donovan and Bradley) :D:p