Jozy: Headed back to Villarreal? The Altidore off-season thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's really only one person doing that, and that's because he is a Hull fan first, while we are Jozy supporters first.

2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It's those baseball glasses that give us all these other stats you mention. Jozy has done a lot of things well - I think he had a good year - but his #1 job priority is to score goals and he will be most known for his failure to do this before he's known for the other things you mention that he has done well.

3. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baseball glasses? What does that mean?

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just proves you can find anything on the internet.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    [​IMG]

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal against Spain was his only goal in the Confed Cup.

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's lack of goals for Hull doesn't really tell us anything. None of their forwards scored more than three, if I recall. Maybe he has some sort of block, or Hull just couldn't create chances. The latter was, in my opinion, true, but is the first also there? Time will tell.

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If he'd been allowed to take the PKs he won he'd have had more goals. Also, he won tons of dangerous free kicks and had a couple assists (or maybe just 1). For a team that didn't score many goals overall its not as bad as the stats make it seem. He's still got some work to do on the scoring front though, that's for sure.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to break up the riveting stats discussion, but we have news (of sorts):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/villarreal-weighing-all-options-altidore

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    in fairness, he did a great job drawing a penalty on the Italian defender in first game, and was in on goal 1v1 if he doesn't get fouled.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Martín Palermo? Should I be concerned?

12. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so he's on vacation and there is more about interest in Jozy...

thanks for the contributions tigeroo :rolleyes:

13. AWF08

AWF08 New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I have a huge, long arguement to post here about goal scoring, development, service, system, mentality, etc. with regards to Jozy's development and his scoring troubles...
    But, it can basically be shortened to this:
    Diego Forlan.
    A young forward when he joined Manchester United with tons of potential.
    A proven goal scorer in the league he'd left looking to take the next step. Struggled to score goals (really struggled, missed sitters, break aways, you name it--he missed it), but was praised for developing his game in other ways--hold up play, assists, reading the game (...sound familiar?).
    Was ultimately deemed a bad partner for Van Nistelroy and off loaded to Spain.
    Written off by fans and media as a bust, blunder, useless South American forward who couldn't cut it in Europe...
    In Spain he found a league, style of play and team situation in which to continue his development and find his confidence again... Cough--Villareal--Cough
    He is now one of the best goal scorers and most creative players in the world. And, possibly the best player at this World Cup...

Point being, judging Jozy on his first two seasons in Europe--1 being unsettled because his team had no plan in place for his development and the other being a pressure filled survival campaign with a horrible team and a bad coach--is ridiculous. The fact that he didn't score in the World Cup may be indicative of a forward who can't score. Or, the product of two seasons in which his opportunities to finish quality chances week in and week out maybe totaled 20, 25. Total. Over two seasons. Think about that.

Instead of making definitive statements about what he can and can't do as a 21 yr old player--which is a useless debate. Let's hope he goes to a situation where he can develop, play and gain confidence. He'll probably never be as good as Forlan, but seven years ago Forlan was as wasteful infront of goal as Jozy is now and he turned out alright.

14. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is wearing this, yes:

[​IMG]

15. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just talked to Giuseppe Rossi (at a NJ dentist's office, of all places). No longer with Villareal, and said he's going to Fiorentina. What does this mean for Jozy.....

1 person likes this.
  16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think it changes much to be honest -- Rossi was expected to go.

17. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    ^^^
    What?! Give the whole conversation verbatim please, and I hope it included you saying "You could've started in your second WC (and earned a gigantic Nike contract), and with you the US would've gone to the semis."

18. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, it took every ounce of control in my body not to slam the guy in front of the children in the lobby.....

19. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you were at a dentist's office, you coulda at least fixed his smile. :D

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    And though it's off-topic, unless he blazes at Fiorentina or moves to a bigger club, he may miss 2018 too. Dumb$hit.

1 person likes this.
  22. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007
    Here's Villareal's coach talking about Altidore, and it sounds like he's not in their current plans. Maybe if Rossi's moving that changes something.

Link

Jozy Altidore tiene más complicada su continuidad, teniendo en cuenta las palabras del entrenador: “La apuesta por el filial es clara y eso marcará nuestro estilo, por lo que no podemos tener 200 jugadores. Pese a ello, Altidore es un buen jugador y estaría contento de que venga porque pertenece al club”. El internacional estadounidense no estaba ayer en la lista de jugadores que van a participar en la pretemporada del primer equipo y “en principio los delanteros serán Rossi, Nilmar, Ruben, Fuster, que puede jugar como segundo punta, y Montero, que también actúa en banda y nos da otra variante”. Además, el valenciano afirmó que el 4-4-2 será “la base” en el sistema que va a utilizar esta campaña.

1 person likes this.
  23. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's latest twitter post mentions something about "ironing out" some details when it comes to where he plays this season. Another loan move is absolutely certain.

24. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    You're seriously criticizing him for his decision? He is 100% Italian and I'm sure it's very much a part of his life, and it was part of his childhood growing up and idolizing the Azzurri. Not to mention Italy are the 2nd most successful football country. No brainer really for any player, even if they have no ties to Italy, but I can understand the bitterness. I'm very happy for him, and think he'll do well at Viola.

1 person likes this.
  25. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct link -- good find, because that story was buried.

Seems to me that Jozy is 100% loaned this season, too.

(and they are still talking about Villarreal replacing Mallorca in the Europa League)

1 person likes this.