Jozy: Headed back to Villarreal? The Altidore off-season thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I gave you all two hours to come up with something else, so I'm jumping in.

To continue from the other thread, it looks like Villarreal will be in a selling mood this summer.

2. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re: Jozy: Hull Breached, Steadily Sinking

Jozy: Hullelujah, the Season is Over?

It's going to be an interesting summer. I'm wondering if Villareal tries to sell the bigger names, like Rossi and Nilmar, and keep Jozy and whoever their other strikers are. I imagine Jozy's wages are probably lower than Rossi and Nilmar's, and it might be cheaper to keep him around.

3. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The World Cup is the big variable in all of this. Rossi has not had a good season (7g, 3a, 28 games in La Liga) compared to last year. Napoli is the latest rumor for Rossi.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

You are correct. The change in Villarreal's financial fortunes may make them MORE LIKELY to keep Jozy.

Who's knows.....................

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hard to say, because the variables remain:

1. His World Cup performance
    2. Further interest from EPL teams.

I don't think his wages compared to others will be the deciding factor. It will be what other clubs are willing to pay in transfer fees.

Villareal are in a pretty good position with him. Worst case scenario is they sell their other strikers and play him next year and perhaps he matures into a superior forward.

Best case scenario is he looks great in South Africa and an EPL team buys him. He is an known quantity in England and while has not necessarily excelled there, has adapted to the EPL game and to living in England. That is ALWAYS an issue with players coming to England for the first time. As has been pointed out, some very good international strikers never make the adjustment to life in the EPL.

So from an EPL team's viewpoint, he is fairly low risk as a buy as well. Worst case scenario is that he doesn't get better than he was this year. At age 19, though, that remains unlikely.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Rossi is firmly on the bubble........

The soccer rags seem to think so anyway.

Here's one article for instance....

http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-...-cup-2010-italy-coach-marcello-lippi-picks-16

Vincenzo Iaquinta and Alberto Gilardino pick themselves in the forward line, with Luca Toni being an alternative to the Fiorentina man over Giampaolo Pazzini and Marco Borriello. Francesco Totti is also expected to play, but this has not been confirmed.

Giuseppe Rossi, Fabio Quagliarella, Antonio Di Natale and Simone Pepe will all fight each other for the final shirt. As for Balotelli and Antonio Cassano, they will be waiting for a future call-up in hope more than expectation.

Rossi could easily be sold by Villarreal for quite a bit of money, paving way for Jozy to get playing time. And Nilmar would also surely be in demand. We'll see.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with those who see the situation at VR as good for Jozy. He's a low-cost option for them to keep, so I don't think they are going to rush to dump him on the first team to come along with a low-ball offer. I think a club will have to really want Jozy to get him, and those situations tend to be good for the transferred player as they are seen as a key acquisition and likely to expect playing time.

8. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know these are (more) desperate times at VCF, but Jozy is the type of player that they like to buy -- buy low, sell high. I don't think they can sell him high enough at this point (but the WC awaits).

Getting into Europa would have a huge financial impact, as well.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's all good for Jozy.
    He has a good WC and a team in England buys him.
    Or, he returns to VR and plays.
    They have to field a team.

10. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look at it this way...Pellegrini will be back at Villarreal next year and he liked Jozy enough to bring him in...dream sequence over...I hope Jozy stays in Spain...

11. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On a side note, lets just think about how wonderfully ironic it will be if Rossi doesn't make the Italian squad this summer.

Carry on.

12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis

Agreed. Rossi could be heading into his second WC with one or even possibly two more to go. As it is, he might not make his appearance until 2014 at the earliest. No pity for the man, as he got what he wanted.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

I believe he turned 20 last November, but otherwise I agree - he should continue to improve, and he could be a real bargain for the right team.

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Nice dream, but Pellegrini is very unlikley to come back. If Valverde was still the Mgr, I would say yes.

Garrido has been w/Villarreal for 10 years, worked in the youth Acdemey.

Then he was the Mgr which took Villarreal B to Segunda. Villarreal B were Top 5 in Segunda before he was promoted to A team .

No way he gets fired, especially when Villarreal B Players will be promoted to the A team as replacement for A team that will be sold.

There are 2 forwards who have already played under Garrido in Villarreal B and were recently used in Liga and Europa..
    Ruben is likely to get promoted and probably Montero..................

...Jozy main competetion in A team will be Llorente CF and may be Nilmar (if he stays)

Jozy WC performance will have a major factor where he is next season and in what capacity...

Here are the options
    1) Sold
    or 2) Loaned again
    or 3) Play between B and A team
    or 4) or be backup to Llorente in A team, till he gets rolling..

15. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Jozy is already giving big, physical and experienced centerbacks in the EPL fits, just imagine what he could do to the more (on average) diminutive backs in La Liga! I've always liked the idea of Jozy in Spain and I hope he stays there.

16. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on who feeds him the ball...guys that you know, like Senna, Pires, Cazorla likely will be sold, as well.

And as good as the first two are, they are old, anyway.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

At least Dowie isn't letting himself get distracted by the little things like, ya know, the fact that his club is going to get relegated.

Any word on if Jozy is projected to get the start tomorrow?

19. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Word has it he is starting alongside Big Jan.
    Amr Zaki, the much heralded direct descendant of King Tut, has returned from Egypt where he has had treatment for his injured knee and word has it that he wishes to go straight back home rather than see out his loan period.
    Attacking midfielder, Richard Garcia, has done his knee (again) in training and looks to be out for the rest of the season and also sees an end to his World Cup dreams representing his native Australia. Richard's contract runs out in June this year.
    With Stephen Hunt out for the rest of the season we have been plagued with injuries (Bullard, Captain Ian Ashbee, Gardner, Zayette, Dawson, Mendy and now Garcia) and our 'Walking Wounded' reputation is such that we are now referred to as the 'Return of the Living Dead'!
    Couple this with our reputation for conceding goals in the last 5 minutes and injury time and you can see why we are in deep sh!te!

20. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Further to the above:

Jozy on the bench. Big Jan up front as lone striker!
    The mind boggles!

21. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amr Zaki got his wish. Loan terminated.

22. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who needs Jozy when you have Jimmy Bullard launching it from beyond the box every possession? :p

Seriously, I think Hull might be realizing they can't play Jozy every minute of every game over the rest of the season. Remaining schedule:

Villa - 21 Apr
    Sunderland - 24 Apr
    @ Wigan 3 May
    Liverpool 9 May

The schedule is packed next week. 20+ minutes today as a sub along with a couple starts is quite a bit of work. That's just my guess but I think we're seeing Hull try to spread out some of the workload. I suspect Jozy starts on Wednesday with VoH coming off the bench. Just a hunch.

23. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jozy looked good today against Birmingham City. He came on in the 75th and had quite a few solid plays. He had a couple decent counters and a nice 1-2 with Bullard but it ended with a Bullard shot.

Hull looked like a team that could have won with Jozy in. I still think they're spreading out the PT among players with the packed schedule. Don't know how much of that luxury they can afford though. They look set to go down unless they start winning games. Getting draws isn't enough at this point.

24. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

honestly i think that is by far the best thing that could happen to jozy. Short of having compromising pictures of Pep Guardiola. But Pellegrini signed him, didn't want to loan him last year, and gave him minutes. And the football will be more sophisticated then at Hull.

i didn't see the game so i can't comment on Jozy's play. I would say though that it would seem to me if you are brought on as a striker in a nil nil game when you're team needs to score that is precisely the situation where you want to be brought on and deliver a goal. So not sure how happy he can be with just a few solid plays. Hull need their strikers to score. That being said i think it's just plain fricken stupid that they don't play JVOH and Jozy up top from the start. And it produced Jozy's one goal. Just stupid.

25. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008

I agree that HE can't be too happy, but as fans I think we can be pleased. He played well. If you have watched Hull at all this year, you can understand why it's difficult for Jozy to score. So, scoring aside, setting up his teammates with a few good chances and showing good hold-up play in 15 minutes is about as good as it's going to get.

With the form he is in right now, I think he will be poised for a big summer. Algeria and Slovenia are the types of opponents that he can take advantage of. Is it obvious that I already have World Cup fever?