Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And until getting hired by Cleveland he hadn't been involved with American basketball since 1986, so I think the point stands.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I love this guy, but when you look at his stats this way, good god, it's bad.

[​IMG]

Or maybe he just needs to find a right situation. He's not a striker that makes something out of nothing.

3. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Disappointment causes some fans to lash out and Sunderland is an easy target. It's easier to just blame Sunderland and is probably cathartic for some.

Jozy's poor time cuts really deep for some, for a lot of reasons. There's a lot of emotional attachment to Jozy that isn't there for a lot of other players and so it results in some pretty strong reactions.

I may be off but I think other than some outliers people realize that Jozy got a lot of run and was a flop for a team that needed goals, but its easier to just blame Sunderland.

GalacticoX4 and Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, enough of this stuff.

Let's give Jozy's Sunderland thread a musical sendoff.

Here's my pick:

EruditeHobo repped this.
  5. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I know the background of my team's HC. I'm sure he was inspired by Carill and learned some things, but the bulk of his development as a coach is as a Euro guy. He has no experience coaching here. It has been a big deal that he is broken into the league.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #11756 The Irish Rover, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

Allardyce, still in the sandbox?

Dude, whatever it is you're smoking, I don't want any of it.

@ringo, GalacticoX4 and Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. I think many of us realize that Jozy has a huge ceiling and could be a world class striker if he found the right situation.
    2. I think many of us shook our heads when he chose to go to Sunderland over other clubs or simply staying put.
    3. Blaming the club is not off base to me. They've done nothing to address basic concerns within their squad that any pundit, fan, or professional can see. (1) There is no strength in defense. No distribution out of the back. Not even average defending. (2) No holding play in the midfield. No creativity in the center of the field or to distribute wide. (3) Aside from Adam Johnson, who I do admit is a quality player (and deserves to get the F out of there), there is little width and creativty/attack on the wings. Nor do they get back and defend. (4) They don't have strikers who create chances. This is on Jozy (though any scout could have told the brass this), Wickham, Fletcher. Wickham makes as many mistakes as Jozy does, but he gets an English pass from the mejeeuh. Fletcher is never healthy. He cost 12m, which is a lot of money for very little return. (4) Top brass selection of managers have been horrid. Jozy was fooled by Di Cano's revolution, unfortunately - one that was never going to get a chance. Even still, Di Cano is an infant in the managerial world. Poyet, a toddler. Neither have the chops to (a) attract stars (b) get the best out of players, and (c) get more out of average players, which is what a team of below average players need. I mean, look at this squad that they have. The management is doing the bare minimum. So why can't we blame the club?

8. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side I will never have to watch Sunderland play again.

SamsArmySam, nbarbour, moork23 and 6 others repped this.
  9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, since people seemed determined to piss and moan, I can just close the thread.

So long, Jozy. I wish you well and am looking forward to making the drive to Toronto to see you play.

10. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    [/QUOTE]
    Poyet has done more than Bradley too, he did a great job at Brighton.

Allardyce and Hughes have had very good careers, both qualifying small unfashionable teams for Europe. Hughes has never finished outside the top 10 when give a full season at a club.

The Irish Rover repped this.