Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 3 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Tonerl, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman No.1

Hitman No.1 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 1 Trabzonspor terms set, awaiting sig?

I totally agree with this. People also have to understand that coaches change their minds all the time. I'm not up to speed on the coaching situation at Villarreal, but just because someone wanted Jozy two years ago, or twelve months ago, doesn't mean they want him now.

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 1 Trabzonspor terms set, awaiting sig?

I don't like the analogy. Would Emmitt Smith have been the great RB he was if he played for the Cardinals his whole career instead of the star studded Cowboys? Its not a coincidence that Thomas Jones got better when he went to better teams.

Not to get too deep into a American football discussion but both soccer and football are team sports and players don't operate in a professional golf/tennis-like silo.

3. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 2 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

Now you're just making stuff up. Villareal has never said Rossi is for sale, his agent his just repeatedly said that Gio would like to move to a big Italian side like Juve or Inter. If their situation was that bad Villareal would not have bought Borja or Marchena. They also just signed Iago Falque from Juve for the B team. If you were right, it would be crazy to pay his wage (or even a chunk of it) for someone who won't even help the first team.

4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 2 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

I think given the financial problems at Villareal you would probably be correct in saying that all players are for sale (if the price is right). Although that statement is probably true for just about every player at every club throughout the world. With that being said, I'd also be willing to bet that there are a number of players on the squad that Villareal would not be willing to send out on loan (with Rossi being a prime example). Sending a player out on loan is a pretty clear statement that you don't believe that player can help you out on the pitch (in all but the rarest of occasions, cf see the Bullard situation I discussed above).

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

I haven't seen those quotes. Unless I (or Google) simply misinterpreted this:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21449236&postcount=718

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Would Emmit Smith have gained 1 yard for the whole season for the Cardinals?

OK, that was a tad of a cheap shot.

Would Emmit Smith have scored only one TD for the Cardinals?

Looking at some stats, Smith averaged 4.1, 3.9 and 3.8 yards per carry with the Cowboys in his last three years there - 30-33 YO - clearly a declining production for an aging back.

At 35, he averaged 3.5 for the Cardinals in his very last season in the NFL.

But then again, as a 35 year old, Gerd Müller scored 5 goals in 17 matches for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, a far drop off his 13 year career averages with Bayern.

Yes but that doesn't nullify the premise.

Running backs peak earlier than QB's or offensive linemen.

Strikers, in general, peak earlier than midfielders or defenders (with the goalkeepers and QB's lagging behind the pack in both sports).

And the reasons for it is a relative advantage of strength and speed over the mental understanding of the game for certain spots vs. the others.

7. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Emmitt Smith wouldn't have been playing till 35 if he was on a crappy team his whole career. He would have been deemed too old and teams would go for younger players.

Success is often related to the environment, some players go to the right teams and the right time and others, who might be just as talented, get into bad situations at the wrong times.

As I said, Thomas Jones did not coincidentally become a better RB when he went to better teams.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

eh, it depends what kind of striker you want to be...if he wants to rely primarily on physical gifts, then yes, it's put up or shut up time in the next 2 or 3 season...if you are a more tactical and technical player you can stay at the top a long time and reach the top later...

Henry is probably most famous as a late bloomer - he relied on speed yeah, but also a great understanding of how to open and exploit space, and very good technical ability. But Drogba, David Villa, Forlan...players who have shown that if you rely on technique and awareness you will peak in your late 20's and may carry that into your early 30's.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Good point... I mean they probably have him low on the radar to keep, cuase a loan is always a 'test drive before you buy' contract. So yea, they probably arent going to turn away teams looking for that... cause frankly villarreal need the money right now.

The sale of llorente proves that. He is a spanish NT caliber player... yet they still sold him for the right price. That shows me how desperate they are, compared to whether or not they think of jozy in the plans. They rather get rid of MOST players at this point, and for jozy, even a loan will be considered.... but I still dont think he is still in the same boat as adu though, as far as the mother club goes.

10. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008

Based on what? Has he ever appeared for them at any level?

11. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Running backs and strikers are not very good comparison. Rrememebr Timmy Smith from the Redskins? set the superbowl record and was cut the next year. Jozys situation is subjective in that he has had no consistancy with any team, and it is very early in his career. People need to be patient and see how he does over the next few years before drawing extreme conclusions .

Running backs don't peak early, it's more like after 4 or 5 seasons their bodies are broken.

12. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009

Perhaps Joseba is being mixed up with Fernando.

13. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey sounds scary. The fans are kinda crazy. I'm hoping that Jozy stays in La Liga or EPL.

14. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK - so Rossi isn't for sale?

They aren't even considering offers on him?

Your right - they haven't officially said that they are trying to sell him, but rumors have been circulating for a while that he is available at the right price.

And now Man-U have thrown their hat into the ring for him... and they have a the right to match any bid on him to secure his services (buy-back clause they have from the original sale to Villarreal on Rossi)

Maybe you are right... maybe they have no intention of selling him and all this is just puffery...

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Damn... just looked up his info and am shocked he never got a call up to spain! He isnt bad, and for villarreal has scored a decent amount, and is a decent central forward..... buuut I am shocked he never got a cap! I was just guessing.... so yea. My bad I assumed he had gotten one or a couple in the past. :eek:

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

ya but Timmy had a major nose candy problem.

This off the Green Bay Packers own site. Today's Ted Thompson (Packers GM/Head of Football Operations) press conference.

Note : Breno Giacomini is a back-up offensive tackle.

Q: What about Breno? He’s looked pretty good the first couple days of camp. Was it hard to be patient with him the last two years?

TT : That’s just the way it works out. Especially at this position, development is not as quick as other positions. Case in point would be the running back position. That’s a position that normally you have God-given ability, and if you can do it and hang onto the ball, if you can do it in high school or college, then there’s a pretty good chance you can do it in the NFL. It’s a little different in the offensive line. There are more little strategic things that you have to learn and technique things that you have to learn, and patience and all that. So I think offensive line takes a little more time normally. In the old days, you’d always get them and develop them and hardly ever would they play right away.

17. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

We probably both agree that Rossi can be had for the right amount. But very few players aren't. Its just that people here think Villareal is days away from collapsing, which there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for. Sure they have some debt problems but nothing as bad as Valencia, much less Mallorca.

18. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, not a big deal I was just shocked to see that. He's not in the same ballpark as Villa or Torres, but I guess that you could try to make a case that he could potentially be in the second tier with guys like Guiza, Fernando Llorente, Negredo, etc. I agree with your overall point about Jozy though.

19. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

see Cuper, Hector in re Adu, Freddy.

20. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the stories I've heard, the Turkish league is terrifying place for black players.

I do not know if the league's reputation has been overblown or described to me innacurately, but I have always been against Altidore's move to Turkey. I hope Altidore continues to push for a deal with an EPL or La Liga team, even if it means working for a bottom-dweller.

21. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First! Oh damn I am 1000 posts late :(

22. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoo! Didn't realize I had the 1000th. :p

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    You really can't make that claim when one of the alternatives you're promoting is La Liga.

And I know that earlier in this thread I made reference to the Kevin Campbell/Trabsbonspor story, but I would be willing to bet that for every incident of racism in the Turkey you could find at least that many in Spain.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Looks like Jozy is back and training, and playing "futbol tennis" with Rossi.

http://twitter.com/jozyaltidore17