Rumor: Jozy Altidore - New European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donovan was already washed up by the time China began throwing around funny money to "stars"

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually China can be a lot of fun.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    To visit or to live for 3 years?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Heck Gazza went in like 2002 or something... of course after 4 games he ended up in AZ in rehab so perhaps it's all for the best...

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Everything is relative but, compared with other pro athletes on his income, he is the complete opposite of the guys who wake up in the morning going "hey, it's Tuesday; let's buy a black Ferrari to go with the Porsche!"

The contrast was especially obvious at Sunderland. Some of their board posters - who were harshly down on him as a player - expressed sympathy for a decent human being who at least gave a shit and didn't flash his cash like too many others, especially the dicks in the Tuesday Club

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Obviously a visitor from the Mexican MNT threads . . .

7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tfc doesn't jump all over this? Not that I follow mls closely but got the feeling that Bradley and jozy were overpaid Americans?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    How is this different than being a DP in MLS?

adam tash repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to live for 3 years for 24 mil?

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I dunno. I think TFC was kinda ok winning things a couple years ago.

I don't think there's any overriding urgency to get rid of Jozy - he's well liked in TO, esp in the Haitian/Carib community, which is pretty big, but few clubs are going to turn down huge money for an older player.

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's see,
    1. US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, so no tax advantages.
    2. separated from fiancee for 10 months of the year, or her $10 million a year career takes a significant hit (fewer tournaments in Asia & they pay less)
    3. off the radar/shitty commute for MNT duty
    4. Breathing Canadian air versus Eastern China air https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Eastern_China_smog
    5. Further away from the USA and Haiti => family, friends and his charity
    Why the hell would he move? $2 million a year extra is worth it when you're on, say, $200k annually: when you're already on $6.3 million a year it isn't.

ChrisSSBB, Gacm32, Deeneaus and 4 others repped this.
  12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -millionaire/athletes change their living situations all the time for 2 mil more a year. -very few millionaires get to be/stay millionaires turning down millions of dollars.
    -i would think two athletes in international sports are pretty used to spending some time apart
    -no one (in us soccer) is going to forget jozy is there, and i dont think he (or anyone) thinks there are years and years left in his intl career

im not interested in this argument i just think acting like its nothing is...unusual. the argument you laid out though, would you feel the same if it were, say, used to argue morris staying in seattle vs signing with bremen? or any player choosing comfort, worse money, familiarity over a better opportunity?

cause THATS the argument to me. i dont see china being any better for jozy OTHER than money. but if he wants it, or the experience, or whatever reason id be fine with that.

your argument, however, looks a whole lot like "sign this homegrown deal with the fire, you wont know anybody in southhampton/hoffenheim/whatever. navy pier! family and friends!"...

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say that it's ridiculous to suggest that moving to China is an automatic major lifestyle downgrade. A good number of American students move there just for the experience. It is true that a lot of soccer players come back from China early because they (or their partners) get homesick or couldn't adapt, but many are totally fine with it - guys like Paulinho seem pretty happy there, and I remember NBA guard Brandon Jennings talking about bullfrog becoming his favorite food during his stint in China.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Then again, maybe the Chinese can fix his hammy with acupuncture and salves. He could come back a Shaolin Assassin/number 9 and really lock down that striker position for the USMNT he has been chasing

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's not my argument. At. All.

If this was Jozy being offered $4.3 million to play for, say, Fiorientina I'd be all for it, Serie A being a far better league than MLS and Fiorientina offering EL footy: plus it'd be a chance for Jozy to silence the naysayers. The Chinese league isn't any better and, for the reasons I gave above, has a number of associated quality of life trade-offs

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    being with sloane stephens is not a consideration here...tennis pros travel all year long....the portion of the tennis calendar that is even in north america is a matter of months out of the year....besides, either one of them could hop on a flight easy....which is what they'd have to do now with jozy at tfc.....just might be a little longer on the plane...not really a factor, imo.

BostonRed and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's pretty striking that McBride got a move to a PL club at age 31 though maybe that was mostly due to a good loan at Everton and solid showing at the previous WC.

Jozy is still only 29. If it wasn't so much the case of his wages, I'd like to see him get a shot at some midtable French or Italian club to prove himself.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just thought this bit needed repeating. Did he ever understand a single word they said?

freisland repped this.
  19. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posts on the MB and Jozy rumor threads. You're really trying to gas me up this morning aren't you?

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    conversation overheard in Beijing...

Q: "Sir, would you like some wine with the bullfrog?"

A: "Absolutely. You choose, just make sure it's mighty fine!"

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can only fantasize how he'd have performed in france or italy.

i wonder why he never returned to Spain.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice.

By which I mean Patrick Vieira's team.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing for Jozy to do there except visit his boy Rossi.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah epl was bad fit for him...germany woulda been good....imagine a team like dortmund....after he did well in netherlands wish he wouldn't have gone to EPL.

he needed a team that was ball dominant and created many chances not the Hulls and sunderlands of the world....

25. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    He definitely found his level. A 29 year old is in the league he belongs in.