Rumor: Jozy Altidore - New European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I've seen nothing but stuff that seem to lead back to the Carlisle and Usry articles, and on cryptic tweet from Jozy that was quickly deleted.

Perhaps a Dempsey-style loan after MLS season?

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Technically, it's football. Lot's of clubs pursue lots of players. I could see Nagbe improving Celtic. Why woudln't they pursue him? I take it you're saying that until there's a contract on the table and the player has to sign or decline, it's all sturm und drang? but isn't this how recruitment works? You identify a player, intensify the scouting, bring in the player for a chat and see where it heads from there?
    Smart players use this as a contract tool, but that doesn't mean there was no mutual interest. Also, while the JA rumors seem hazy and perhaps agent driven, Nagbe to Celtic was a bit too specific to fit your narrative. Clubs don't like being used as a contract tool.

The Irish Rover and wsmaugham repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do Arena teams use a high press?A player can't high press on his own, it has to be within a system and that cycle didn't seem to be all about the high press. Hell, didn't we trot out a 5-4-1 at times? You can't high press in a 5-4-1.
    Also, beyond the notion of high press, didn't Arena earlier in the same campaign say that playing Howard in back to back short week games was a bit much at his age, as he needed more recovery time. Didn't he do just that?
    Didn't he trot out a short week 11 that was pretty much identical to the outing a couple days before? Again, this goes back to my always go with youth in nats idea. We had too many in their prime or on the far end of prime players to use the same players in both matches. Their bodies actually do need the bounce back time.
    JA and MB did not put the US on their backs and carry the side to the WCup. It's tough to blame someone for that, though. It was beyond a team failure.

4. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re right. The guy works his socks off. All the time. He’s also reliable. You know he’ll show up for the big ones.

My bad. I’ve obviously been wrong about him before. I take it all back. I see it your way now.

5. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    no they don't like being used...thats why it went away quickly and they never talked about it after that.

nagbe was looking for a raise from mls thats all.

nagbe can't improve anyone he is literally the most overrated player in the league right behind bradley.

laxcoach repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? Looks like it was a real thing. The Jozy rumor, however, looks to have been just a rumor (at least for Italy, as Italy's window closed).

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #132 The Irish Rover, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    A key player for a playoff-level MLS side is plenty good enough for the SPL; a star player could be useful in Europe. If his contract is up, he'll be a cheap, fully-fit addition to the squad in the winter window. If not, does the transfer fee make sense? If the numbers stack up, it's a no-brainer for Celtic.

For Nagbe it was no different from any of us. You're under contract with an employer where you're the/one of the rainmakers in the operations department, but you want better terms and you get an offer from a company you like that's also much better-known in your industry. However, the second offer means uprooting yourself and your family and travelling halfway around the world to resettle. You do what anyone does, you weigh the options and you take any opportunity to kick the tires.

If you take 12 hours of flights (plus layover time in New York) to be shown their facilities and meet potential workmates it means your're seriously interested, doesn't it? Otherwise why spend at least 15 hours on the road just for a quick guided tour and watching a CL game? OK, it was Barca, but you could watch Real or Bayern instead, no? And if Celtic weren't definitely, unequivocally serious why would they even let you past reception? As for them giving you the VIP treatment when you arrive . . .

It fell apart because Celtic wouldn't meet the Timbers' valuation and Nagbe wasn't prepared to force the issue. Happens all the time, everywhere, in football.

The move was real. End of.

Gamecock14 and mschofield repped this.
  8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so real...thats why they traded him for much less. most of that time half the league made the playoffs relax with the 'playoff level team' stuff. it was a ploy everyone knows it was there is a reason one team was interested and it disappeared despite the team trading him a year later. Also just an fyi..players can force transfers when there is real interest.guided tour...yeah you can actually go to their website and fans can get a guided tour I heard its pretty good. Dude had zero intention of leaving mls. Also an fyi...portland didn't own nagbe...mls did. portland's 'valuation' isn't a thing sorry to break the horrible news.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nagbe arrived in Portland through the superdraft, and had been there for more than three years. Portland's valuation made a lot of difference in this matter.
    From MLS:
    Transfers and Loans
    An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a non-MLS club (subject to the receiving club's applicable Federation's transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player. Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement.

Transfer and Loan Fees
    The revenue share from transfers or loans for clubs is as follows:
    A club shall receive the transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Generation adidas Player or player acquired via the MLS SuperDraft based on the number of MLS service years:

The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone shut this thread down? It's going nowhere, and neither is Jozy.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I laughed so much I spilled my beer.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Old Jozy thread is closed, so I guess I'll bump this one?

Goff's reporting that Jiangsu Suning FC are interested in paying Toronto a lot of money for the privilege of paying Jozy even more money:

Goff then speculates that Jozy probably doesn't want to go, given he just got engaged and all that... still, $25m over 3 years is hard to not at least consider.

14. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't hesitate if I were Jozy. We know he's not losing his roster spot for the national team anytime soon regardless of where he plays.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t either. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to sign on the dotted line. But...... Joz does have to consider that he is recently engaged to Sloane Stephens and how such a move would impact her tennis career.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    There's also a pretty massive cultural gap... Jozy wouldn't be the first person to turn down a huge contract because they didn't want to move to China. That's not to pass any sort of judgement on them as a society, but most of the large Asian nations are extremely foreign to Westerners... the gap between US and Europe is much smaller by comparison.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Jozy seems pretty frugal for a big-money athlete. I'd say at this point it's probably a life-style choice. How badly does he want to fund his foundation/Haiti work and how much he wants an adventure. But I think it would risk taking him out of the USMNT set-up if someone else were to pop up.

18. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be kinda intriguing. If Jiangsu is paying $8m/yr for Jozy, they'll expect him to score loads of goals and generally perform at the level of their other marquee import strikers (Hulk, Pato, Pelle, et al.) while destroying the mostly domestic defenders. It might actually be good for his game to have that kind of burden. I also think he would handle the environment transition well and wouldn't put it past him to even become conversant in Chinese.

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I've actually kind of wanted to see an American make a big money move to China for a while now. Not the kind of transfer we're used to.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I am not saying that your opinion is incorrect. I just wonder how you come to the conclusion that Jozy seems pretty frugal. Do you hang out with him much?

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think he would, at least within a year. Sargent,Weah, Soto are all coming along. Also Zardes and newcomer Boyd.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His fiancee also makes seven figures a year I think.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm honestly surprised that Donovan never got such an offer.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep... Jozy and me, chillin' in my Nippissing ice shack, bolting blues and snagging walleye.

(No, I do a lot of business in TO and if I have time off I tend to hang around the stadium and TO FC folks, and have gotten that impression - or let's say I have not gotten the impression he is exceptionally profligate, but I certainly have no first hand knowledge whatsoever.)

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I doubt he will go. Not much fun living in China, and he makes $6.3M now. Jozy is a humble guy with modest needs he will survive on those $6.3M somehow. No reasons to screw up his lifestyle.