Rumor: Jozy Altidore - New European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is definitely lazy. That’s objective. He is the blocker for the US playing a high press. It may we’ll be his own limitation, but it isn’t okay. At all.

He doesn’t deserve more looks ahead of more energetic players.

And yes, Bradley more than anyone deserved the blame for us not going to the World Cup. He fractured the locker room. He’s a self serving punk. The end.

Good riddance to him and all of his allies. And Jozy is one of them. They are both entitled punks.

MisterPinstripe and adam tash repped this.
  2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the entire thing is a contract rumor.....remember when teams were all over nagbe? Celtic was making big bids for him but just couldn't close the deal...then it just disappeared?

nobody wanted nagbe...nobody wants altidore

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t you understand, no one is to blame! Losing doesn’t mean anything. Jozy and Bradley are hero’s! Let’s pass out the orange slices; the Capri suns; and the World Cup qualifying participation trophies.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    portland refused to sell....

5. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah right lol

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You seem nice.

(if not exactly rational)

frankburgers repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Because we field a two man team.

Folks who are silly enough to equate "not good enough to get a team to qualify for the world cup" with "lazy" perhaps don't have their thinking bits attached with all the wires.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team is composed of individuals, some of whom are alleged leaders in their alleged prime, some of whom also get paid many millions of dollars based on their national team reputations. The alleged leaders getting rich off this deserve a special blame for the failure.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If only they'd worked harder...

If "hard work" equaled WC success, Mike Bradley's miles covered would have won the whole damn thing in Brazil 50 - 0...

The narrative is BS, and even the cons selling it know it. It's just primal scream therapy.

Here's some simple reality: We didn't have 11 good enough players on the field at the right times.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celtic ownership flew Nagbe to their stadium to watch the Celtic/Barca UCL match in attendance.

And that was when they were after him.

KicksNgiggles, adam tash and wsmaugham repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They weren't getting rich off of 2017 USMNT performances.
    Exactly how did Bradley's failure of leadership result in OG's inch perfect OG v T&T? That, of course, was the difference between finishing 5th and 3rd in qualifying.
    How did Jones 250 yard prayer of a shot fall on either Altidore or Bradley?
    It was a deeply soggy field, Altidore is a big striker. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't the best choice to play in that setting? Or, again maybe, the blame falls entirely on the entire setup? Managers to players to federation. It was a crap Q effort, all around. Even so, another point and we were in. I really don't understand not getting that final point, but it's grossly simple to put it on two players who did quite well the game previous.

https://www.ussoccer.com/mens-natio...ound/20171010-mnt-v-trinidad-and-tobago#tab-1

Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is nothing objective, at all, in classifying a player as lazy.
    The Bradley lockerroom point is interesting. My own rule, which isn't a rule as I have no authority to impiose it, except in exceptional cases, no one over 26. The US does not now and hasn't since BF/Keller, have any players who would count as exceptions.
    Older players are experienced enough to be cynical about the experience. Younger players are naive enough to think it has a greater meaning. Nat team tactics are simple. The football is generally mediorce to poor. Enthusiasm usually is what matters most. Always go with youth.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, they weren’t the only ones responsible. But Bradley was actively undermining the squad under Klinnsy. He got his way, got his coach, got his team, still didn’t deliver.

So yeah, I’m good with him being enemy number 1.

mschofield repped this.
  14. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him fail to actively press pretty much always when everyone else does. Use whatever word you want - is disinterested in being the first line of defense better than lazy? If it is, we can go with that.

mschofield repped this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You could argue that was their way of saying "nevermind."

16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    oh yeah can't question facts like that ever.

Celtic was desperate to get him and Nagbe was desperate to go to europe like he said.

How did he do with Celtic?

or did he just use that as a negotiation tactic...like altidore is?

I mean portland shut it down right? they said they wouldn't let him go at any price.....how is nagbe doing in portland this season?

its chess not checkers people.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Which is proof of Jozy's "lazy" approach to the game.

Gotcha. The laser sharp logic of the BS posting community continues to dazzle.

kumuyc repped this.
  18. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I replied to two different points in two different posts. So is it really logical to expect that this point would back up a separate, distinct point?

I don't know what sort of logic, laser-sharp or otherwise, is required to see that Jozy exhibits low effort when defending. It just prima facie is.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ah. The "I said it" argument. Gotcha.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t say anything about hard work. Primal scream therapy? Cons? I gave specific reasons that you ignored: 1) leaders in their prime deserve more blame than the fringe players, particularly because 2) Jozy and Bradley have cashed in on their national team reputations (arguably to the detriment of their ability to contribute to the National team). Instead of throwing insults, why can’t you actually respond to these points?

adam tash repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Point one: Sure. But we had more than 2 players "in their prime." Howard, Demps, Jones and Cam were arguably guys who should have most/also led this team. Cameron was, at WC time, a vet playing on what would likely have been among the top rated teams/leagues of our vet regulars.

And if one wants to suggest that MB's problem is he's "lazy" they have to square that with the amount of ground he covered in 2014 (and other games.)

And if one wants to claim that Jozy's problem is he's lazy, ok. But I think they are wrong and that a realistic observation of his career would reinforce that. (But, of course, without some objective measurement of "lazy" it's he said/he said. But it's kind of hard to square the "he lifted too many weights and bulked up too much to be effective" with "and he's lazy." I'm lazy. I don't lift squat.)

As to coming back to the detriment of their USNT contributions... Ok. I guess. I was one who argued that MB would get enough time behind/with Strootman to make staying at Roma worthwhile. (and god proved me correct as Strootman got hurt, but truth told, Stoortman played better at Roma quicker than I expected and absent the injury I'm not sure how much PT Mike would have gotten.

But if you attack MB and Jozy, you have to do the same for Demps and Jones, no? And Wondo, Zusi, for never going to Europe? Yedlin for waiting so long?

I mean, the idea that the US didn't make the WC because MB and JA came back to MLS, led their club team to hardware, but the lesser club challenge meant we suddenly weren't good enough to beat TnT... ok.

I don't know enough to know if Mulligan's charge that MB poisoned the locker room to force out Jurgen, but I can say fairly certainly there were a few others in US soccer who were not huge fans of Mr. Klinsmann, and there were even one or two who felt he should have been replaced earlier, if memory selects.

So nothing your claim speaks to Jozy being lazy. And the rest is kind of... arbitrary if you ask me.

If the claim is the USMNT as a whole failed to do enough to quality for Russia and no one stepped up to lead and save the day: I'm with you 100%.

Singling out those two, however, seems a bit... unreasonable... to me.

22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Soooooo.... Jozy is staying put?

freisland and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Hard for Dempsey to lead the team when he’s not only never been a vocal leader, but can’t really lead by example when Arena decided the guy who was still our best goalscorer was best used as a bloody “super sub”.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This stuff is all way off topic, but is also hysterical in all senses of the word.

It was a collective fail. And trying to pin the blame on two guys or absolve one, or this coach but not that coach or whatever is just folks carrying water for their pets.

We had probably 14 key players in the qualifying cycle. And we came up just short. A failure that reflects badly on all the guys that featured as well as on the coaching staff.

wsmaugham, Winoman and superdave repped this.
  25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I don’t disagree, at all.

freisland repped this.