Joshua "Josh" Pynadath at AZ Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 31, 2013.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that the clip opens up with him talking about flag football. A friend was posted to the embassy in Madrid and his son played with Pynadath...I was told that athletically he was a freak, able to do whatever he wanted.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I posted at some point that he might be the best American dribbler I've ever seen and still suspect that he is.

Lookingforleftbacks and Gacm32 repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. There were critical comments about his play.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How highly is this dude regarded?

8. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    #309 Luksarus, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Played 12 minutes in the victory of Ajax 4-1 against Feyenoord

UniversalAdvice, bsky22, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the squad for the U-19s at something called the “NextGen Series.” Looks like they’ll be trying some new rules as well. Maybe our buddy @feyenoordsoccerfan can fill us in.

1144227666440196098 is not a valid tweet id

BostonRed repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Those wacky Europeans gotta quit messing with the rules of the game.

BostonRed and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Does anyone know how these rules work? Do they kick the ball in instead of throw ins? Also why no throw ins? Is it like something to limit headers? Also by shootout, are we talking NASL penalties with the run up? Because in all honesty I’m for that, here in NOVA we used to do those in tournaments and I think they still do for the youths.

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure those run up penalties claimed a few ACLs and that’s why they stopped

14. #314 feyenoordsoccerfan, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    The Dutch FA, the KNVB, has been experimenting with alternative rules since last year to see how these impact the game in friendly club matches and unofficial tournaments.
    It's a bit like with the VAR, in which case the KNVB was the explorer for the FIFA to learn from it how to set it up.
    What's alternative is mentioned on instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLHv_FCv3M/
    Afaik it's limited to swapping throw in with dribble the ball in or kick it in and when the match is a draw there's no penalty shoot out, but players dribble one on one the ball to the goalie to score.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #316 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Throw-ins do sometimes seem kind of incongruous -- "You can't use your hands, except for this time!" On the other hand, like they generally help the game keep flowing. If every throw-in became a kick, you might see games turn entirely into an exchange of set pieces. That would probably be bad.

Lookingforleftbacks and largegarlic repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    The rules about having to use two arms over the head and keeping both feet on the ground always made me wonder the evolution of the rules. But I’m betting now that it prevents you from really serving it super deep, which jives with the whole keeping it from being a bunch of set pieces.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It would totally change game strategy. Poor FBs, giving up a corner would be preferable to kicking the ball over sideline.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of “fixing” things like that, why don’t they fix diving and ref errors that decide games

19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    @feyenoordsoccerfan

Has anyone over there experimented with two referees? Hockey added an extra ref because the speed of the game was such that one man couldn't see everything. Soccer has such a big pitch, plus all that running back and forth that a 2nd ref, plus the linemen might really help.

20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were in fact kick ins vs throw ins it would fundamentally change the game. I think as "money ball" continues to break the game down, set plays and throw ins in the attacking third will be more and more relied on for advantageous attacking positions. The game will get broken up to maximize those moments. Kick-ins would truly be revolutionary and would lead to more and more teams playing towards the sideline, hoping to get as many of them as possible.

21. Not that I'm aware of.
    It's not that long ago they added the two extra "linesmen" to watch the goal mouth area. I think with the VAR the need for and the costs of (and the logistics to find quality for that xtra job) that change is prohibitive.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We're way off-topic here, so I'm waiting for the smackdown, but in the meantime it's fun. So, what would be the arguments for getting rid of throw-ins?

They aren't perfect, notwithstanding the semi-randomness of them being allowed at all. Refs waste a lot of time telling players not to creep, players constantly try to game it, they're often used to waste time, and the need to observe the thrower's form pulls attention off the field.

But those issues don't seem THAT bad. The no offside rule is a good one. Long throws can be exciting, considering that they're relatively rare. (It's kind of weird more teams don't have long throwers.) Probably I'm missing something.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started for U19s:

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1145350089319297024 is not a valid tweet id