Josh Wolff Journal Entry 8/26

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by kebzach, Aug 27, 2002.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  2. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    I can't imagine why he would even mention the possibility of leaving Chicago if he were not fairly certain of it happening. This is the first I am hearing of this. Does anyone know any more details, (ie where he would be headed)?

I feel bad for him...

3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Feel happy for Josh and for me. DC will take him.

4. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    Has there been any talk of him going to DC? Or is this just wishful thinking on your part? :)

Can any Chicago fans comment on the 'trades' he mentioned in his journal? I don't know, of course, but I would imagine he'd want to stay in Chicago if he had his way.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    If he had his way he'd be starting for Real Madrid. The way he is talking it sounds like it is out of his hands and into the hands of his agent or the MLS

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't be surprised if Blackburn or Liverpool or some of the other clubs that he went and tried out for told him that if he got his work permit worked out, then they would put in a transfer for him.

With the leg injury, I would think that was more in doubt.

I guess the Fire are at or near the salary cap and need to make a move. My guess would be one of the last people that they would move would be Wolff. As a result, he has to be going to Europe.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    this is a little off topic and maybe i'll actually start a thread about it. But will the MLS ever get rid of their salary cap? I think that has to be in the evolution of the league. I think once we get a different owner for all the teams, then the salary cap will be thrown out, and then we will have a big time league with money to throw around

8. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I hope at some point the Cap is raised, but I don't want them to eliminate it altogether. Why? Leagues with salary caps: NFL, NBA= raking in the dough. Leagues without salary caps: MLB, NHL= losing more money than Enron.

With that said, I don't see the league selling Wolff in the current transfer market. Josh may be done in Chicago, but there will be a couple of teams that could take on his salary next season and could make a nice trade offer that would be beneficial to the Fire's cap, most notably:

DC United, who will likely be opening up salary by dumping Etcheverry and Mike Ammann in the offseason, will likely have the 1st overall superdraft pick, and they also have a couple of young cheap players they could offer up in trade (Alegria, Namoff and Quintanilla to name a few.)

The Metrostars will definitely be losing the salary of Tab Ramos when he retires at the end of the season. They will also probably dump the max salary slot being wasted by Balboa. Thanks to the Countess and Griffiths trades, the Metros have 2 picks in each of the first two rounds of the superdraft. They may also offer Faria, as was rumored earlier this season.

Either way, I doubt Wolff is leaving MLS until at least a couple of years down the road.

JMac

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolff to DCU. It seems near certain now.
    I have to applaud Josh for his honesty. He did not have to disclose this information on his website. He did not have to share his feelings about his injury. He just shows me what a class guy he is.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    What Mario said, and I want Josh to be on United next year, so it will happen.

11. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I wish the best for Josh. I've been through the same injury, and to say it is frustrating doesn't even begin to describe the feelings you go through.

I'll always be grateful that for one night against Mexico he was healthy enough to tap it back to McBride.

12. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    Did I miss something? Has something been released?

Anyway, I've always liked Wolff, and same as you, consider him to be a classy player. Of course, as a Metrostars fan, I don't want to see him go to DC... ;) ... but I hope he has a quick recovery and is happy wherever he ends up.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Josh is under contract to MLS through 2008, so I doubt that a European move is right around the corner. A trade within MLS? Who knows? My guess is that Wolff has a lot of time on his hands right now and can't help but think about that sort of thing. I mean, if Hristo retires after this season (and he should) and Beasley gets transfered to Europe (which could happen), why the Hell would Bradley want to trade away Wolff?

By the way Josh, the possessive form of the word is "their" not "there."

14. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    I feel sorry for Josh's injury curse and I heard he was going to Metros. I hope if he does leave Chicago that he will go to DC. I would kill to have Josh in a United kit. He could up the scoring at RFK.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It would be unfair to Have our best National Team forwards on the same team. Along with Big Mama. I mean, isn't there a rule or something like that?

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    with Big Mama, the other forwards won't be seeing much of the ball. Passing is beneath him.