The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always like when the club is as excited about a prospect as we are.

Winoman and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    poor aron, sargent is about to take his spot on the bench.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't be in academy forum much longer.

wixson7, Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down with Bobby Wood!! All hail the new king!!

5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! And @Clint Eastwood's going around trying to kill my buzz, being all reasonable! :D

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’d rather Bobby snap out of it because the two them would complement each other well... they’d also be the start of a strong pressing defense.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    always a promising sign seeing tweets about sargenet doing something good written in german

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /joke

KicksNgiggles and bsky22 repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody should be surprised given his physical, mental, and technical maturity level, how he was arguably the best player at the u-20 World Cup at 17 years old, and Werder was confident he'd be part of the 1st team before long sight unseen. All they had to do was see it in person and the timetable was moved up even more. Thought the most likely outcome was he'd be part of the 1st team waiting to come off the bench if they were needed a goal from when he was eligible. Starting may take a minute because they're straddling the relegation line. But given they have some time left and if he makes an impression off the bench that could even happen before the end of the season too.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got the answer to the question is the former FCKer Thomas Delaney even a Yank. The answer is yes, because he gave an interview for Werder, and it was in English, even though they spoke over him in German for their audience.

Anyway, they asked him about Sargent. From what I remember of taking German throughout high school, he said something to the effect of: "It was my first training session with the kid. He is very good. At 17 he's big, strong, and technical. Compared to when I was 17 myself I was a little pipsqueak playing with the other boys. He has a big future in front of him. But he should be given time, and I think he'll get it. (I take that to mean not playing time but leeway to fail a bit...taking the pressure off after hyping him).

https://www.deichstube.de/news/werd...fers-josh-sargent-lustigen-kruse-9533462.html

Namdynamo, sakibomb523, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Kicker article says he can't be registered for Werder Bremen's Bundesliga or 3. Liga teams this season. Also of note, the manager calls him an "absolute top talent".

Weil er seinen ersten Vertrag als Profifußballer erst mit seinem 18. Geburtstag im Februar unterschreiben darf, kann er in dieser Saison weder für die 1. noch für die 3. Liga nachgemeldet werden. Bleiben also vorerst bis zum Sommer nur Testspiele und viele Trainingseinheiten bei der Nachwuchsmannschaft und im Bundesligakader

Because he may sign his first contract as a professional footballer only with his 18th birthday in February, he can not be registered this season neither for the 1st nor for the 3rd league. For the moment, only test games and many training sessions will remain with the junior team and the Bundesliga squad

Namdynamo, wixson7, sakibomb523 and 6 others repped this.
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. So only U19 games until next season? If true, that's a little disappointing.

neems, Lookingforleftbacks and Gacm32 repped this.
  13. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Build up that chemistry with Zwetsloot

Gacm32, TarHeels17, neems and 1 other person repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I’ve been having a Twitter conversation with Adam Belz (@zlebmada) and Alex Chaffer (@alexchaffer), who is the content manager for the English Bundesliga website. Alex said Josh won’t be playing this season. I’m trying to confirm with him if this means for all official matches for the first team and Bremen II. But what Alex said does seem to confirm the kicker article that @Mario Balotelli posted upthread.

Real Corona and Winoman repped this.
  15. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, last week Alex said Josh would be able to play right after he turned 18 because of the pre-contract he signed. Maybe he can play with youth sides is what he meant.

Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. This is what he tweeted on the 14th:

And this is what he tweeted early this morning (the 18th):

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm skeptical of his original comment. I don't think simply signing a pre-contract makes any difference at all. Junior Flores (March birthday) signed a pre-contract and he had to wait for the summer to be registered.

As far as I know, there are really only three paths:

• Have the right second passport, allowing you to be eligible for registration prior to your 18th birthday. (N/A for Sargent)
    • Wait for the first registration window after you turn 18. (The Flores route)
    • Register immediately as an out-of-contract professional. (The Haji Wright route)

Unless Sargent very quietly signed some nominal contract with someone in the US, he's going to have to wait. And if he's going to have to wait, history shows us that he won't be able to play in any real games - Werder, Werder, or Werder U19.

He'll just train and play in the occasional "testspiel" until August.

neems and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Balerion, thank you for that. Maybe the most informative thing I've read about Josh's status up to this point. I'm tagging @zlebmada so he'll be sure to see your post too.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's pretty simple. He has to be registered by like Feb 1st. It's not a soft registration date either.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Wait.....@zlebmada is on big soccer?

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not very knowledgeable about these things and this is why I'm asking the question but you can't be registered even with a pre-contract?

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is!!! My sales pitch worked. :)

23. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He played some u23 matches for St Louis FC so we were assuming he'd be qualifying under the third bullet point

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pre-contract is just a locked-in agreement that a contract will go into effect at a later date (when a player turns 18, when a previous contract expires, etc). But it's a PRE contract. He's not technically under contract until he turns 18 and because he's not under contract, he can't be registered.

PDL is an amateur league, so it doesn't count. Otherwise, the rule would be rendered effectively meaningless. Every player under consideration for a pro contract from a Bundesliga club has played in amateur/youth games sometime in the past.

Bob Morocco and TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he didn't sign a short-term contract in the states, can he be loaned out to another league to play right after signing his Bremen contract?