The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It was his team's only goal in a 3-1 loss.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. TJFtbl

TJFtbl Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Bremen lost their first match of the season to a struggling Stuttgart side so maybe Josh gets in the 18 next match??? (Optimistic probably idk)

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non Europeans cannot sign until they are 18 unless they have a relative that allows them a path to citizenship and then they can sigh at 16. Many kids go before 16 but they are just trials.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are sending mixed messages. They say he's close but they give no dates. I'll be happy if they are setting him up for success and that when he goes up he stays up and slowly becomes an irreplaceable starter. It looks like that's their plan and they know what they have with him.

Plizzle repped this.
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    U17's then U19's

6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  7. AlexFire3443

AlexFire3443 Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Jul 22, 2018
  8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    excited to see him, but im surprised with him seemingly on the cusp. maybe thats in my head though and the team doesnt see it until after winter break

9. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Yeah, I was aware of the 18 rule. Pulisic was able to get a passport from his grandfather I believe.

It was indeed 16 though, you were right on that. Didn't know 16 was the earliest in that situation.

10. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Bremen has seemingly had a plan for him ever since he signed. I'm sure there was heavy dialogue involved between all parties.

11. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    I doubt it. He's blowing up and they had not planned on that. So the manager tried some positive PR CYA spin last week since Sargent is not in their near term plans.

As I suspected (and got roasted for here) it was a mistake for Sargent to skip the Brazil/Mexico friendlies to "get established" at his club since he isn't going to play for the first team regardless.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should try out for the Olympics, because leaps like that would make even Bob Beamon blush.

13. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Considering they said from the beginning that he was going to skip the U19 team altogether once he was eligible and split practice time with the U23's and men's team, and has done exactly that, I would say they do.

14. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    How so? Just a couple weeks ago it was critically important Sargent stay with his club. Now he's jetting off across the world for a couple of minor league friendlies. Something changed, obviously. If the BS groupthink doesn't want to admit that I really don't care.

15. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The notion that Josh doing well was a problem that needed a positive PR spin is comical.

ielag and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Another thread blown up by Chris :/.

What a coincidence he scores one goal, and only one goal nearly every game.

If he continues doing this thru winter break and their forwards go cold and/or 1-2 injuries occur he’s definitely getting playing time.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one goal every game is great, obviously. I remember Thierry Henry being asked about this years ago ... which is better, a few games of multi-goal games, but most games with no goals (averaging out to a goal a game) or a steady stream of scoring a goal, game in and game out? And he said that of course it was the latter, because it gave you a chance to win every single time out. We could only be so lucky. For right now, I just want to see Sargent score goal #1 for the 1st team.

18. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind the Werder II is playing in a Regional League, Germany's fourth division. Man, it's like being a high school star and then thinking that you can just go to a good Division I school and be a shoe in. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like that. The differences in competition levels are night and day. Patience. There is no conspiring against Sargent by Werder. He's developing and gaining professional experience, and practicing agianst/with the first team. Hopefully he'll keep improving but he obviously hasn't consistently been showing all the first team guys up, otherwise he'd be getting first team minutes.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  19. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's only scoring *just* one goal per game because Bremen PR is forcing him to take it easy so that American fans won't blow up their inboxes with death threats and hate mail.

20. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    PalmettoSpur, TJFtbl, Anderson11 and 7 others repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    A tale of two extremes: dress a 40 year old, or debut an 18 year old...

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not impossible that both are linked: the day Pizza retires, Josh gets his chance.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  24. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    1050563510848106496 is not a valid tweet id

Can't wait to see him doing this in the Bundesliga.

KUSA77, USSoccerNova, ChuckMe92 and 8 others repped this.
  25. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Let’s get him, Pulisic, Weah, Amon, Mckennie and Adams on the field at the same time. Please.

Zinkoff, KUSA77, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.