The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh is on a good pace. He’ll appear in the Bundesliga this year. The team is being patient and seem to have a plan that prioritizes his development. I’m astonished people are already up in arms about this.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um no.

What he's going thru right now is fairly normal. Getting coached up and trained for a 1st team debut.

He hasn't earned shit yet.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh made the decision to stay behind so he could advance his club career. That happened. I don't know how you think running around like a chicken with his head cut off against Brazil would have helped Josh progress more than scoring in front of his club manager for the next few years.

That point about Josh not making the team this year is pretty ridiculous. He's 1 month in, and Bremen are 2nd in the Bundesliga. Kohfeldt likely feels it would hurt more than help to integrate him right now, for obvious reasons.

The point with Arp is that he's scoring goals for Hamburg II in the Bundesliga, is the highest rated youth German striker, and yet he still has barely played for the first team in the 2. Bundesliga. It's really !@#$ing hard to jump from youth football to the pros. People think it's easy to make the jump in Germany because it's comparably easier than England/Spain/Italy, but it's really only marginal. No one does it as fast as you're expecting Josh to.

Lastly, possibly the main reason Josh hasn't debuted yet is that Kohfeldt has no reason to even change what cereal he eats in the morning right now with how well Bremen is playing. He'll wait until the team needs a little kick to bring up Josh.

4. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Considering Sarachan encouraged that decision, it seems you're pretty off-base.

5. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Would England supporters be sitting around saying "it takes time" if Sancho was tearing up regionalliga yet still buried on the Dortmund depth chart with zero Bundesliga appearances? Of course not.

This "it takes time" is the stuff of minnow soccer nations. Sargent is not a trailblazer here. Pulisic has shown an American can succeed at a young age in that league and will soon leave on a transfer north of $50 million. Josh has checked all the boxes and done the hardest thing in the sport: score goals. He has earned first team time. Now.

He has been there long enough for the them to know what they have. He has shown loyalty to Werder spurning other offers and declining a full international against Brazil. In return he's gotten basically nothing as far as I can tell. I won't give Werder a pass on that. Sorry.

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Some of the stuff you read on here.

18 year old kid who has never played a minute of professional football is 6 matches into his first season and hasn't played, while his team is doing great no less, and you're ready to burn the club to the ground.

Good Grief.

7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow, this is some of the most delusional shit I've read on these boards in a while.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Rivaled only by the self-flagellation over Carelton.

gunnerfan7, chad, punintended_13 and 4 others repped this.
  9. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience is a lost art.

Nastrabrahmus, Dr.Phil and Winoman repped this.
  10. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sancho joined before the 2017-2018 season. He didn’t start a game until after the winter break. He didn’t even make a cameo appearance until late October (6 minutes).

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that I can't believe that someone is bitching about Sargent's progression already, except that I would be lying if I did so.

ielag repped this.
  12. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You want to know something? I thought I was in the Mukwalle Akale thread for a second. Weird

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Two ends of the patience spectrum

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have stopped right there.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is really SAYING something here.

16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    My point exactly. Smh.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on how I rate Josh and Bremen's current striker core he should have no issues making an 18, imo.

18. gruenweiss87

gruenweiss87 Member

Werder Bremen
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    #993 gruenweiss87, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Milot Rashica, the guy who scored the game winning goal against Frankfurt, didn't make the 18 last game.

Right now the pecking order is Kruse, Osako, Harnik, Kainz, Pizarro, Rashica, J Eggestein, Sargent, Osabutey. Bartels will be in 2nd or 3rd spot of that ranking when he returns from injury.

sakibomb523 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always love the team is disrespecting our player argument.

superdave, wixson7 and onefineesq repped this.
  20. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right? True Napoleon complex...

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had a dream last night that I saw Sargent play against Fulham at Craven Cottage. He had a chance right at the start of the game and completely whiffed and fell over.

Josh Sargent can't even succeed in my dreams. :ROFLMAO:

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sounds more like Eddie Johnson

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic didn't start at Dortmund right away either. He went at 16 I believe and became a standout on their U19 team. Josh had to wait until he was 18 to be able to sign in Germany since he didn't have a grandfather from a Euro country and is moving up about as fast as any 18 year old could. You want players to earn it. For themselves and also for the teammates they will be playing with who also had to earn it.

24. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Pulisic went at 15 IIRC

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution