Jose Francisco Torres at Club Puebla

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Autogolazo, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Jose Francisco Torres, MF, Pachuca

Played the last 15 minutes of the team's opening Mexican League 1-0 victory against Tecos. Attacking midfield, shaded slightly to the left.

Had a nice pass that almost set up a goal and a shot that went just high.

Born in Longview, TX, in 1987.

I found a Wiki on him, but has he been on the general radar?

Playing for Pachuca--even off the bench--in a meaningful match is pretty damn impressive at 20 years old.

2. solid3

solid3 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd never heard about him until I saw him playing for the US on FM (had something like 40 caps). I asked someone who follows Pachuca but they didn't know much about him.

3. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if he's interested in potentially playing for the U.S? Wikipedia has him listed at 5'5'', but certainly if he can start to earn regular minutes for Pachuca at 20 years old, he's worthy of keeping an eye on.

4. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    He should be in Olympic Qualifying, I doubt he will be but there is no way you can convince me a kid who is getting minutes with Pachuca isn't good enough for our dometic based U-23 MLSers and some college players.

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty bold statement. He is listed as 5'5" (unknown) weight. I doubt he plays D-Mid. So that leaves CM, LW,RW

Well our CM/DMid depth is pretty good (Edu, Klejstan, Holden,McCarty)
    LW (Rogers, Alvarez)
    RW (Holden,Alvarez,Rogers)

Granted he might be able to grab a spot on the bench but like I said thats a pretty bold statement.

6. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    From what I could tell, he was closest to a true #10 who could drift out wide and fire in crosses, but also was in the center of intricate passing with Gabriel Caballero, Damian Alvarez, and the rest.

And it's important to note that these were NOT garbage minutes--Pachuca was only up 1-0 and Torres was put in as the Pachuca attack was waning and Tecos was getting chances.

I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked at the time like Pachuca was playing something of a 4-1-4-1 with Cacho up top alone. Torres was the left inside attacking midfielder, with Caballero to his right and Alvarez out wide on the left. He subbed in for Chitiva.

I could tell this much--his passing and ball control were excellent.

7. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Not really, I am not saying he should start but he should make our squad, since there are usually 23 players on it for a tournament. But how is it that he has never played with any of our youth national teams, is our federation racist? We miss out on so much latin talent it is absurd.

8. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It'd be nice to know if this kid has interest in playing with the US. A true #10 would be nice.

9. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I agree but keep in mind we do have a true #10 in the future with Adu.

10. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He may be visible briefly on the highlights show Fox Gol Mexico tonight on FSWE at 11PM eastern. He's #25, who makes a cross in from the left that Damian Alvarez attempts to backheel on frame.

Anyway, I'm going to have to DVR as many Pachuca games as I can this year to keep an eye out for him. I think FSWE bought the rights to their home games from Azteca America.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What television channels generally broadcast Mexican league matches? I never see them on Fox Soccer Channel or Gol TV. Anything in the Comcast offering?

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish Language Networks.

:rolleyes:

13. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    FSC will often re-run a Mexican league match once a week. You know, Monday at midnight or something. GolTV does a highlights show, I think.

If you've got Univision, they show one match every Sunday at 1PM eastern.

If you've got Galavision, they show games Saturday nights and Sundays at 5PM eastern (when Club America plays at home).

If you've got Telefutura, they also show a game Saturday nights.

If you've got the Spanish language package and have Fox Sports World en Espanol, they usually show 1-2 games each weekend.

Azteca America (which I don't have) carries the rest.

Between Univision-Galavision-Telefutura and FSWE, I could see (on average) six of the nine LMF games on any given weekend.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hopefully we'll get him before ya'll get thhis kid he has a Cannoooonnnnnnnnnnn of a leg no exageration, i've seened him play several times. above the level then ur sub-23 players(from what i saw during the pre-olimpic qualifyers), and everytime he comes in the announcers praise him every second.

he was brought up through the youth system of pachuca, where they take developement very seriouse in every aspect, mental,physical,etc. all players that come out of pachuca are real professional and diciplined in the game.

16. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Is he a left footed winger?

17. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is alot of talent in America. Hell there are 300 Million of us, plus who knows maybe even more. So there are many people who dont get a chance to get capped. Also i dont think our federation is racist at all. Im sure his parents are probobly mexican, and he grew up not all gung ho for Uncle Sam but for Mexico. This way he doesnt even bother with the chance at playing college in america, and tries to get a tryout where his parents are from. Also the current problem with latin talent is that alot of the youth clubs in america are very expensive, and many good players just dont have the money, therefore they get overlooked. Hopefully USSoccer will look to fix this.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked a similar question in the USA Men's forum, and received this response:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15336757&postcount=14

19. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    This may be out of date but here's something from Goff's "Soccer Insider": http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/04/nowak_at_rfk.html

Since then, I don't think there's a word. I hate to say it, because I know it caused many here much strife, but this may go (let's hope not) along the lines of a Jersey player who had his sights on playing for the Italian side over the US side. His name rhymes with mossy. :D

20. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Most recent info, I believe discussed on the US boards, is that JFT was invited to the olympics, said he wanted to stay at Pachuca, but hoped that the US would call again next time. It sounds like whoever calls him up first will get him.

I don't see anything wrong with an 89th minute sub appearance, do you?

21. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. But you know that 5 posters will reply after me in vehement disagreement. This is how the game works, though. Does anyone think Joe Lapira's call-up to Ireland was anything more than a preemptive measure?

Despite what many of us think, USMNT call-ups aren't all based solely on merit. Look at Dominic Cervi's call-ups as our 3rd keeper this spring, as well as Steve Purdy & Tally Hall's call-ups last fall. Pachuca is definitely a good club, and if a young JF Torres is good enough to earn playing time with them, he's worth the look.

I really hope we don't lose this guy. I suspect we're not going to get Jesus Padilla, so it would be really nice if Torres came over to our side.

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that perphaps your speculation is ... just that. Just as likely is that JFT turned down the invite to the Olympics and would turn down the invite to Guatemala because he wants to see if he can make it with Mexico before agreeing to play for the US. Now some of you may burn with excitement at the prospects of getting Mexico's rejects, but it leaves me cold.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't.

Ireland came to play in the US, and a bunch of their forwards were out due to injury. They simply didn't have the players. Lapira's uncle, Michael Lynam, works for the FAI so they knew the kid was here. They called him into the camp to make up the numbers, and gave him a cup of coffee in the game.

Each one of these situations is different. Fans on the US boards try to generalize these Subotic/Castillo/Rossi issues by saying the USSF bungled them all, which is simply not the case. People have to want to play for you.

24. ArmasD985

ArmasD985 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Longview
    As a personal friend of Jose, he's thought about moving back but its alot more complicated than what HE wants...im sure we'll see more of him in the near future back in the states.

25. vreleven

vreleven Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that he's not playing for Mexico when we see him playing in the US:p
    I really wish him well and hope that he decides to play for the US.

Thanks for your info.