José's first signing. Welcome to United Eric Bailly!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i really really hope this thread won't need to be closed as well due to derailment...

Gilma1990 repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Who do you think said the following:

"Rio has been the best defender in the country, if not Europe for a couple of years. His maturity and leadership have been key factors in his and the team's success. He is someone that young players learn from and that more experienced players respect. I have not seen a better defensive pairing than him and Nemanja for a long time."

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Vidic was voted player of the season by representatives of the governing body, members of the media and fans. He was voted for as the more immediately visible member of a two man defence that dominated the league.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Being more visible as a defender is not necessarily a good thing. Rio wasn't as noticeable because he was a step ahead of the attack most of the time. He didn't have to lunge into crazy tackles like Vidic because he was in position to cut them out.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's stick with where Ashur is going with his post.

At this rate of "debate" Jonny Evans will be deemed better than Vidic, the Ballon d'Or won't mean shit, Moyes is a greater manager than Mourinho, and we missed an opportunity to develop one of the all time greats when we sold Memphis.

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Sorry, I was writing a post to point out that Vidic's awards were meted out by exactly the sorts of people who value visible defending, but then I went off and did something more productive with my time. Must have clicked post in my pocket.

Yeah, let's move on. All of us capable of forming a remotely logical argument who get that personal awards will naturally go to the Gerrards and not the Scholes', who agree that Darren Fletcher was not better than Carrick because of an armband, are agreed that Rio was the better of the two (excellent) defenders.

On topic, I'd certainly hope Bailly can be the Stam to Lindelof's Johnsen. He might not hit those heights but if he comes close he'll have done bloody well for himself.

J'can, Stud83 and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It is. If his "opinions" were valid or defendable it would not require page upon page of irrelevant and assine remarks with a sprinkling of desperate diatribe.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What I can say in your defense, Teso, is that you understand the distinction between a "fact" and an "opinion". That a few others here fail -- and in some cases even refuse -- to understand that distinction is not unusual for an internet forum.

I may not agree with all of your arguments (Memphis was brilliant, Ibra was terrible, etc.,) but at least you make a sincere effort to construct an argument on a body of facts that are reasonably related to each other.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Bailly at the funeral of his compatriot and friend, Cheick Tiote.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It really is fascinating how much better Bailly is than Smalling and Jones. Not a wee bit better and not even somewhat better, but substantially better. All the tools are there and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Real come knocking for him in a season or two.

As for Smalling being so disappointing, what a shame. There was never greatness in his boots, but he could have been a reliable piece on the back line for a decade but for whatever reason never developed the mental fortitude required for success as a United CB and, inexplicably, never became a footballer who was comfortable with the ball at his feet.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bailly's return will be great to bring back the solidity at the back we've missed since he went down. He's also a player who apparently makes his partners better also. Practically have no qualms to play anyone of our current CBs next to him, if the situation demands it.
    In league or FA Cup games, would rather see him play next to Rojo or even Jones. Woudn't mind seeing Lindelof get the shot next week though vs Sevilla as we'll need guys who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Plus, European ties are nowhere as physically demanding as games in England, which should suit him well.
    Fully expect to see an improvement at the back though. That much is certain.

17. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Outstanding performance today against Huddersfield in the FA Cup

18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Mourinho has been put off by his play right before he dropped him. He was dreadful in that first half vs City, for some reason, making lots of fundamental errors (especially in positioning).
    Still, should not be reason to drop him completely. Conversely though, it's not like that choice has backfired on him either: Smalling, Jones and Lindelof have all actually been pretty good in the past 2 games.
    I think in the end that this is Jose just sending Bailly a reminder that he can't rest in his laurels or that he has no competition, and he needs to be sharp at all times. If that's the message he's trying to send, then I'm fine with it. Especially if it only helps Bailly to become even better long term.

22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    With Lindelof out its another chance for bailly and hopefully he will not screw it ..

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.