Jorge Villafana at Santos Laguna

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 5, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2015/12/05/jorge-villafana-seria-un-santo-mas

Santos Laguna continues to arm your new template and is in his fourth reinforcement miradapuesta facing the Clausura 2016, yesterday announced the repatriation of Ulises Davila and is now close to the steering wheel lock hiring Jorge Villafaña, from the Major League Soccer.

Villafaña has excelled with the Portland Timbers and Sunday they will play with their first Grand Final.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Villafaña

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jorge-villafana

I assume "steering wheel lock" refers to this:
    upload_2015-12-5_17-50-39.jpeg

Testudo and Winoman repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Nice club to join

USAMEX10, GiallorossiYank and Gorky repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

BostonRed, Rahbiefowlah and Winoman repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the best Yank in LigaMX right now? There are over 20, but I'm not sure any are regular starters. Not a high standard, but I think Villafana would be a good bet to exceed all of them. He's not very big or fast, but that's not going to hurt him in Mexico. He plays a tight, smart, possession style, and is positionally aware. He more than held his own defensively against Fabian Castillo. I think this would be a good move for him and get him into the tUSA picture, if he isn't already by then. I mean Klinsmann calls up a bunch of squad players from LigaMX, he'd ruin his pants over a regular starter. BTW, nevermind when Villafana was a decent starter in MLS.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think El Homie Castillo has had the most extended success and the best reputation throughout Liga MX as a known quantity. Jose Torres after that. Just my impression and opinion.

USAMEX10 and Gacm32 repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you get into Torres it's already guys who don't regularly start. I guess Castillo still does. But if that's the case, it bodes well for Villafana. Castillo is a little faster, but I'd say Villafana is considerably more technical, and a much better decision maker.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Really I just watch Xolos. Castillo was money for Tijuana, esp in Libertadores.

But yea decision making is not on his resume.

So our best guy in Liga MX mostly starts for Rayados and makes bad decisions.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Michael Orozco?

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    el conquistador del Azteca!

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This almost reads like the opposite of the scouting report on him for most of his career. His size and speed are more than adequate for his position at the MLS level and probably Mexico as well -- he's not Yedlin-fast, but his physique and build have never been the issue. He's been a pro for almost a decade, so it makes sense that he'd be rounding into his best form. Especially given that he's a natural lefty, he certainly seems like someone who could contribute at a higher level.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm higher on his speed than some others who commented. They acted like he was a snail. I just classified it as mediocre. I said he'd be a little faster than the guy we're using right now in Timothy Ream.

As far as his size, it kind of speaks for itself.

In recent games he's been run off the ball trying to take opponents off the dribble due to those two factors. He has some capability to do it, but the width he provides would more come from his accurate left-foot and sneaking in behind.

Don't get the defensiveness when my ultimate conclusion was he'd be a good bet to be the best player we have in LigaMX and could contribute to the U.S. in some situations, i.e.: when we're expected to win possession. That's probably in the top 10% as far as being high on him. If he flew under the radar and then became LigaMX standout and regular, that would be something. Would reinforce just how easy it is to do these days w/ the depth of American players and improvement of MLS relative to perception.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't he benched for a team that struggles defensively?

13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I really like the idea of Mexican-Americans who are already established players going to Liga MX. The example that comes to mind is Herc. I'd love to see this go well, Villafana has been great this year.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    We should nickname him Cortés!

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking to some Timbers officials after the game, they said they plan on Villafaña being a Timber next season.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he played like the scouts were watching in the final....and twellman mentioned a bunch of scouts were in attendance (after discussing villafana)....if how he played in the final is any indication, I would expect offers to come in.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nice great story. El sueño is really living up to his name. I hope he can win a starting spot fast and contribute. Maybe we'll see him on the usmnt soon

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Anybody know what Santos' left back depth looks like?

Quick search of their last 6-8 games and they played a different guy there like every game. Looks like a trouble spot for a team that finished 15th in the Apertura.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done deal:

http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2015/12/10/villafana-es-nuevo-santista

Jorge Villafaña is the new player of Santos Laguna team that comes to fight for the starting job with Adrian Aldrete on the left side.

Directive of the region reached an agreement for three years with the now former player for the Portland Timbers.

He comes to Mexican soccer after being chosen MVP of the Grand Final of the Major League Soccer and being crowned American League Champion. He turned pro with Chivas USA to be the winner of a reality show, from there he went to Portland to emigrate to Santos and start a new adventure in Mexican football,

It is said that the transaction was a million dollars, same as Santos would have paid for the rights of the player.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Looks like his competition for the left back spot has earned 19 caps for Mexico since 2007 and is part of the 'golden generation' that won the 2005 U-17 WC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrián_Aldrete

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Villafana has more MLS cup championships.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    675388003280289792 is not a valid tweet id

Testudo repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 BostonRed, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

675390640335667200 is not a valid tweet id

@bungadiri @Friedel'sAccent -- Let's kill off that title question mark! Thanks.

Namdynamo, Testudo and bungadiri repped this.