jonny walker

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Sep 13, 2002.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I been trying for sometime now to catch a Chilean league game (probably won't see one anytime soon---due to strike) on satelite so I could see Jonny Walker in action. He seems to get rave reviews form the press and has started in the nets for Catolica for sometime now. Has anyone seen hime play? Is he as good as Catolica say he is or is the Chilean League worthless?

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard the rumour that he may be trying to get Chilean citizenship so he can play on their national team?

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that too but if I were him I'd rather wait my turn w/USMNT(and that might not come for a while) than have some naturalization papers say I was eligible for the Chilean squad!

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bigsoccer rumor is that Jonny wants to get Chilean citizenship so that A)he frees up a foreigner spot on U Catolica and B) he may/is likly to become the Chilean national team starting goalie.

Neither has been confirmed that I have seen/read (keeping in mind that I don't read Spanish, and some of the conversation has been in Spanish).

As for seeing him play, I was traveling in Chile in the spring and got to see him play live. He had a realitively easy game, and U Catolica dominated, but he is a monster in size, and his positioning is quite good. I have seen him on TV a couple of times, and his reaction time seems pretty quick as well.

As for Jonny being called up the USNats, I doubt it. He was the best 'keeper in Chile over past 18mo.+, yet still has not gotten a call up. There are enough good young 'keepers here in MLS that would be chosen over Jonny. I do hope he does get called up, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. gringuillo

gringuillo New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Since the summer when Catolica won Chilean league championship there have been lots of J. Walker posts on his background, road to Chile, future (in Mexico or Chile) etc.....

Wrt gaining Chilean citizenship.... I am not too sure... Just in last few issues of Soccer Amer., he was quoted saying he hopes to get a cap someday on the Nats. He respectfully noted that it would be hard due to two great GKs in front of him..... But he said something along the lines of "maybe some day they will be unavailable...."

It seems that people in Chile like Johnny. They acknowledge that he makes some great saves, but they also criticize his judgment.... He seems to still make some rookie mistakes, i.e. leaves his line to chase distant balls on CKs and stuff... In the few games I have seen of him, I have noticed this....

On the legal side, it is complicated for a US citizens to acquire another citizenship w/o jeopardizing your US. Need to get very good legal counsel and proceed cautiously....

All that said, I think it is great that Johnny has found success in Chile! It only helps build the name of US players and the MLS!

6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick note as the Chilean players have finished striking and Walker looks to get back beteen the pipes.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they going to pick up where they left off on the fixtures or are they going to make up the missed matches?