Jones signs with the Revs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Aug 24, 2014.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    breaking news post thoughts here

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I hope he lives up to his paycheck.

3. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not crazy about the price but then again its nice to see them get in the DP game. so we basically have him for 1 season

5. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I have thought for the past 18 months or so that he'd be the perfect player for the Revs. Just what they needed. I think given the buzz he'll bring, the on field product and his age that 1.5 years at around $5 million is good for the Revs and good for the league. Let's hope he can keep up that World Cup form.

6. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arguably the best US player at the last World Cup. A cdm with bite. Adds what they were missing when the revs lost Dorman with a size able upgrade. Great news for the revs. Bravo on this signing

MLSinHD and patfan1 repped this.
  7. ntolman

ntolman BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I feel right now

patfan1 repped this.
  8. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a JJ fan; but I will give that he is better than we now have. I was hoping for someone to put it in the back of the net. That is what I believe to be the major issue with the Revs; not that we are overly strong in any area of the game.

9. mloyko

mloyko Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better we won the "blind draw". This should by the Krafts 5-10 years of being able to say "see we do spend money" when the fanbase is complaining. Keeps up the appearance. Ecstatic though. At least we have something to get excited about.

KaptPowers repped this.
  10. ntolman

ntolman BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did someone drug the Krafts or replace them with pod people?

11. mloyko

mloyko Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who was that guy in the picture from yesterday?

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am thinking this has to be another signing. According to Lalas Jones signed this morning. That tweet from the Revs was yesterday.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My big worry is that most players struggle who come into MLS mid season. They are paying a ton of money for likely one good season. I hope JJ bucks that trend.

From a financial point of view it should help the Revs slightly at the gate (at which they have been steadily improving) but no where near enough to cover that huge salary.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this is all a lie. We all know with absolute certainty that the Krafts are cheap and would never pay $1 million much less $5 million and a DP :devilish:

rkupp repped this.
  15. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched or followed the Revs in a while, I may have to turn the tv on again on Saturday.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time in 18 years. You act like they've done this before doc. :rolleyes:

I'm happy Jones is coming to MLS and staying out of Shitcago. It's a lot of money for a 32 year old guy and goes against the Krafts' disciplined "value" principles that underpin how they've done business since day one.

That said, I hope he does indeed have a positive impact on and off the field to give them impetus to open their check book in the future.

He is certainly a big signing for "name" value, if nothing else. If he is able to adapt to the turf and travel and contribute on the field, it's a bonus.

mrt/MLS and patfan1 repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different player. We have a striker that has signed as well, according to BB.

18. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Jones has touched a ball much since the WC. To say he might be out of shape/touch is not far fetched.

19. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Even if he is, he'll still be a major upgrade in our MF. Lets just hope they don't try to get too much out of him right away and he ends up pulling something....

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revo just became a lot harder to play against.

The money though? Hey, I'm not writing the paychecks.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah come on, don't you think all those who said--NEVER- NEVER- NEVER -deserve a little ribbing? :)

Look I've been around since day one with the Revs so I know how frugal our ownership has been. It will be interesting to see if this is a one-off or the start of a different pattern of funding players

NFLPatriot, metoo and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    it was a coin flip - and JJ was only coming here for money $ than Chicago and it was still a 50-50 chance.

At least it wasn't televised so we could see his face-Danny Szetela style.

Now Heaps on the clock to bring his A-game, or Jones will not be impressed.

I'm glad he is here. But this better not be the last move the Revs make.

23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs to be more than just a nice signing, otherwise it will have no real impact on the franchise's place in the region. Starting now, money needs to be spent on real marketing (not just slide handing out papers on the street) to capitalize on this buzz. Come up with some promotions, have Robert Kraft just show up at a game long enough to be caught by the cameras, make another notable signing between now and the start of next season.
    This franchise is at the point where it will take much more than one fancy signing to gain any relevance. Also, if they handle this poorly (which is my biggest fear) and JJ is unhappy or otherwise feels like he is playing for some minor league organization, it will make it even harder for us to attract quality players in the future. Hopefully they roll out the carpet for this guy, make him feel as comfortable as Darelle Revis and use him to sign a couple of other quality players that otherwise would never be caught dead signing with them.

Anyway, I am happy for the Revs to make this signing. Even if they simply piggybacked off of league rules and were able to win a draw, they still have a big-time player coming to town. Hopefully they don't botch it like they have with Benny and the rest of the list.

RevsLiverpool, ToMhIlL, mrt/MLS and 2 others repped this.
  24. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping this isn't just a one-off strategic overspending to appease the fans. If this is a start of something new, great, if not...

25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] And Jones should go look up Danny Szetela's face to understand how grateful he should be that the draw wasn't televised.
    [2] So far it has been hard to tell if the Revs are a young and gifted team held back by an inferior manager, or if they are an averagely talented team led by a mediocrity. If Jay Heaps has believed that the problem is his players, not himself, now is his chance to prove it. More exactly, if you don't prove it now, Jay, you don't deserve any future chances to prove it.
    [3] I'm glad he is here. But I fear this will be the last move of any note that the Revs make for this year.

RevsLiverpool repped this.