Jonathan Suarez at Tijuana

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Somewhat vague, but:

His scoring ability has captured the attention of various scouts, including representatives from a pro team from Tijuana, Mexico.

"We're talking about it (going pro) right now, but nothing's for sure yet," he said. 'It's a big chance for me, and if I get a chance to go for it, I'll go for it."
    http://www.fontanaheraldnews.com/sports/article_56ef8e68-8d22-11e4-be13-a78fd8c8607c.html

Probably this same guy who was part of the Sueno program:

M Jonathan Suarez
    Fontana, CA
    Training Invitations: Zacatecas​

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/60846/seven-players-receive-contract-offers-from-mexican.html

Fontana is just west of San Bernardino, about halfway between LA and Palm Springs.

Gacm32, Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It sounds like he signed in Argentina, apparently for a lower-division club called Dock Sud:

While Suarez’s high school career is over, his dream to continue playing soccer is not. Suarez left Fontana High following the Steelers playoff loss, and turned pro, signing with Dock Sud in Argentina.

“I stopped going to school following the last game of CIF because I had to be here (in Argentina),” Suarez said via e-mail. “I feel blessed and all my hard work is paying off.”

Teams from Argentina were not the only ones after Suarez.

“I had offers to play for Club Tijuana and Club Zacatecas De Mineros (both in Mexico).”
    http://www.sbsun.com/sports/2015033...ntanas-jonathan-suarez-leads-the-all-sun-team

Pl@ymaker, Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just call them Sock Dud from now on.

They play in the Primera C division, which I think is the fourth level.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pretty sure this is the same guy -- no news on his pro career here, but another accolade and some background:

“He had many options. Going to Mexico to play and a couple others,” Fontana High varsity coach Erik Espino said. “Me and Johnny had a lot of conversations in the summertime, just seeing where he was at, if this or that was the best option.”

The pull of his teammates and his senior season at Fontana proved too great, however, and Suarez returned to help the Steelers run away with a league title and advance to the second round of the CIF playoffs.​

http://www.pe.com/articles/suarez-764958-fontana-player.html

Pl@ymaker and Testudo repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's fairly uncommon for Americans to move from Dock Sud to the Liga MX.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Querétaro is located at nearly 6,000 feet above sea level, raising the question of whether they have any docks of either the Sud or Nord variety.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I asked in the YNT forum, but if anyone here knows -- I'm wondering whether he might be part of Queretaro's team currently competing in the Dallas Cup.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's registered with the U20s, but his stat page doesn't show any appearances.

Gacm32 and BostonRed repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Registered with the U20s again for the upcoming season.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called into U20 camp:

Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California; Newport Beach, Calif.), JT Marcinkowski (Georgetown; Alamo, Calif.)
    DEFENDERS (7): Marcello Borges (Michigan; Kearny, N.J.), Robert Castellanos (Nomads SC; Palmdale, Calif.), Jeremiah Gutjahr (Indiana; Bloomington, Ind.), Aaron Herrera (New Mexico; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Andrew Lombard (Ohio State; Montclair, N.J.), Chad Poarch (Continental FC Delco; Middletown, Dela.), Miles Robinson (Syracuse; Arlington, Mass.)
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake; Salt Lake City, Utah), Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Cameron Lindley (North Carolina; Carmel, Ind.), Jonathan Suarez (Queretaro, F.C.; Orange County, Calif.), Eryk Williamson (Maryland; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (UCLA; Bloomington, Minn.)
    FORWARDS (6): Sebastian Elney (Maryland; West Chester, Pa.), Jeremy Kelly (North Carolina; Chapel Hill, N.C.), Jonathan Lewis (Kendall SC; Plantation, Fla.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic; Libertyville, Ill.), Yosef Samuel (Philadelphia Union; Philadelphia, Pa.)

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...asking-ridge-for-training-camp-and-friendlies

USvsIRELAND, ChuckMe92, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only has two appearances for the U20 team during the Apertura (and none from before).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's how his season finished. One start, one sub appearance, 97 minutes. Of all the players floating around Mexico, he seems to have been a strange choice for a U20 call up.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the dearth of playing time for Queretaro, he gets another U-20 callup:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...or-january-camp-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifying
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake; Salt Lake City, UT), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls II; Wappingers Falls, N.Y), Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, TX), Jonathan Gonzalez (CF Monterrey; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Jonathan Lewis (NYCFC; Plantation, Fla.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Park City, Ut.), Jonathan Suarez (Queretaro F.C.; Orange County, Calif.), Eryk Williamson (Maryland; Alexandria, Calif.)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored vs. Santos -- in the first minute of play, no less.
    848581002381455360 is not a valid tweet id

18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has started the first 2 games for the Queretaro U-20s during the 2017 Apertura.

During the 2017 Clausura, He made 10 appearances (9 starts) and scored 3 goals.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    892194258085654530 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    951225193074253829 is not a valid tweet id

Made his debut in Copa MX, seems like a good dribbler with decent touch.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a bit confused about his debut in Copa MX, as Querétaro don't have a game in that competition this week.

Turns out he's on loan at Cimarrones de Sonora.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ... and, it appears, a natural lefty...

:whistling:

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made his first start in Copa MX and helped Cimarrones de Sonora defeat his parent club Querétaro.

956305259294535682 is not a valid tweet id