Jonathan Klinsmann at St.Gallen (Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr.Phil, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in friendly:

Note: it's 17-2 in the 2nd half.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That seems not-so-friendly.

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The appearance fee checks smooths over a lot of things. ;)

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Ger90 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    1st game of the season is in 2 weeks.

I checked and he's just 22. I hope all the training and atmosphere at Hertha pays off for him.

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's good that the Hertha GK coach criticized him as well. In a more recent follow up, the coach said that Klinsmann Jr was not angry about the criticism and it made him work harder.

I recall the uproar here when it happened.:D

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one cared that Hertha's GK coach criticized Klinsmann, people were annoyed that he insulted the work ethic of all American players in how he phrased his criticism.

adi21, frankburgers and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    eh I don't recall it was about all American players. If it helped the player than no one should be annoyed.

coaches and management openly criticize players all the time.

and I've seen some Hertha fans who stated that Jonathan did not have good GK training in USA. That he essentially had to start from scratch. And his move to Hertha was mostly based on connections to his dad just like his move to Gallen seems to be.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "These last two or three months haven't been good. We aren't happy with his progress, he's still a little too American," Petry told the domestic media

https://www.chicagotribune.com/90mi...o-american-for-bundesliga-20180307-story.html

It's a dickish thing to say. Of course the overall quality of coaching in the US isn't the best, but if this guy who coaching Christian Pulisic, there's no chance he ever would have credited the American training that Pulisic received.

HScoach13 and frankburgers repped this.
  12. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't stray into this, but I'm curious.

What does "...there's too much American left in him" mean to you?

Or the German quote:

"Das ernsthafte, das konzentrierte, das fokussierte betrifft. Das hat ihm noch nicht so ganz erreicht. Er ist noch ein bisschen zu amerikanisch."

Winoman repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    your taking him saying he's too laidback, needs to get more into. Not the right mentality that's what he means.

it's not dickish at all. He wants him to be better than he is.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on.

If he doesn't have the right mentality, then say he doesn't have the right mentality. There's no reason to say it in a way that implies that all Americans have a shitty mentality.

Unless he was trying to be a dick. (Which he was.)

BTW, for all the sins and flaws of American players, having a bad mentality historically has not been prominent among them.

USSoccerNova, Grumpy in LA and adi21 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the American mentality? That we are laid back or that we work too hard?

Had he said "he's too African or too Croatian or too Vietnamese" that'd have been far more controversial.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean people shouldn't complain about "treatment" if your the one going to another country to work. No one forced you to leave and go there. And once there, different standards are applied.

just seems like taking offense due to the American mention even though he's talking about only 1 player.

he also left Hertha because he wasn't really making progress either with younger GKs getting ahead of him and more than 1 as well. Seems like 1 GK, a year older was ahead and then 2 GKs one 2 years younger and another 3 years younger were all getting ahead of him. Had Klinsmann Jr stayed he would have dropped to like GK #6 at the club

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

********ing hell this is a bad opinion.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, let me try this in another context.

"Ger90 keeps missing the point. He's still a little German."

See? That's dickish on multiple levels.

I don't think Klinsmann is very good, but that's not the point.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean Klinsmann Jr was not offended by the comments and it made him work harder. Why is it a bad opinion?
    I didn't find your example using me to being dickish. I really see more USA fans getting offended.

besides Klinsmann Jr is a German-America dual as well. He's not only an American maybe the GK coach wanted to see more German traits? Could be as simple as that.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "People shouldn't complain about how they're treated if they go to another country to work" is a horrifying opinion to hold. Like, a re-evaluate everything about yourself type of opinion.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, I'm not talking about any sort of abuse. We are talking about footballers only not every line of work out there. He wasn't harassed or abused by anyone just criticized for his not good enough standards at that point in time.

22. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    In fairness having been all over the country, I could see the Californian mentality really grating on German football coaches. Klinsy Jr seems pretty Californian.

That being said, I hope his move does well. It's fun watching goalkeepers travel.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    This guy is just here to not like the players of a country that performs lower than his own internationally, all while this country has no relevance to him, his national team, or even his confederation. It’s a strange hobby, it’s literally trolling, don’t let it get under your skin.

adi21 repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    discussing a player is trolling?lol. I have interest in the progress of German-American players even if they don't play for Germany.Is Klinsmann Jr not born in Germany to a German Legend father? I neither like nor dislike Klinsmann Jr. I call things as I see them your welcome to agree or disagree, makes no difference to me.

I thought it was said numerous times by mods not to bring NT discussions in the Yank abroad forums anyways. This is more about club talk.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how do you figure that about him?