Jonathan Klinsmann at St.Gallen (Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr.Phil, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, I hope he gets some good training.

2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it possible to make a sub-sub academy?

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Jonathan Klinsmann at HHAHAHAHAHAHAHertha Berlin

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I think "HAHOHE I didn't even notice Jonathan Klinsmann was at Hertha Berlin until phone notified me" is too long for a thread title.

Dervos, nbstriker8, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best thread title evah!

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think it's appropriate

taylor repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick video interview -- questions in German, responses in English:

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Then why is it?

9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A move to Europe would be really good for his development. I hope something works out

ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Jurgen got his son a contract.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People get work because of connections all the time. It's Jonathan duty to nkw do something about it. He's very young and raw for a GK. Just because he's not the best in his age group now doesn't mean that can change.

Namdynamo, Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and 2 others repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Completely agree. I think its good that he got this contract.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I could see that if Jonathan had signed with Stuttgart, where his father is a legend. Or if you were talking about the trial at Hertha. But a contract there? What does Hertha owe Jurgen?

Also, Vom Steeg had a Bundesliga contract, but then Dusseldorf chose to let him go. How does that have anything to do with Klinsmann?

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He doesn't have to have played at the club to get a favor. Maybe he knows the coach, the sporting director, an assistant coach, who knows? Its really not asking that much. Do you think they are bringing in Klinsmann to start? No, its probably for the second team, not like its a 10M transfer.

As for Vom Steeg, I realize its not related, I'm just saying that I don't understand that. Vom Steeg is much better than Klinsmann.

15. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Jonathan has been well-known to German clubs, but Hertha had to have seen something in his U20WC performances and trial to actually pull the trigger. It's not every day they see a foreign youth international GK who speaks German and is available for free.

With respect to Vom Steeg, he may just be sizing up his options between 2.BL and MLS so I think it's early to say if he is getting a raw deal.

Namdynamo, Scotty and Winoman repped this.
  16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Meet Jürgen Klinsmann's son, Jonathan Klinsmann, the new USA goalkeeper at Hertha Berlin

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/B...hertha-berlin-s-new-usa-goalkeeper-454869.jsp

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I've moved about 40 posts containing an argument about Jonathan Klinnsman's tweet to a different, currently inaccessible location. I'll think about placing it in the USA Men forum so people can continue arguing once I stop being pissed off about the fact that I have start remembering "one 'n' in the first syllable, two in the second" all over again. It's kinda like having to remember Don..o..a...dammit.

Please remember that YA threads are for discussion of club related events, not for rehashing national team events. Please also remember that personal attacks (eg calling somebody a psychopath because they disagree with you) are not allowed.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Quote today from Hertha's sporting director, Michael Preetz:

"We were not surprised by the media interest upon signing Jonathan. I think the best thing now is to let the young lad get on with things in peace. He wants to get a chance in Europe and wanted to take his first steps towards that with us here. He is under-23 but will train with the first team. We were looking for a new second team goalkeeper as well. He must now decide if he wants to study or go into professional football. It’s a first step for him, who we definitely wanted because we see a lot of potential in him."

http://www.herthabsc.de/en/teams/preetz-interview/page/513--4-4-.html

Namdynamo, sakibomb523, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, Scotty, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.
  20. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Played the 2nd half in a friendly at Erfurt - Hertha won 0 - 3

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can anyone explain to me how the only move that came from the us u-20s making the qf of a wc.....is jk jr to hertha???

22. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Who else really impressed you? Sargent, EPB, and CCV are the only ones I think warrant a move to a good club. I'm hopeful for De La Torre, but not sure he did enough.

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i mean i didnt watch the games (out of the country) but followed the scores and math reports and they had a good showing as a team...a 6-0 drubbing of new zealand and a close quarterfinal loss to a team that made the finals...they proved they are one of the best national teams in the world for their age.....

and usually i would think that would lead to at least a couple of moves.....

i guess foreign clubs are just boycotting buying mls players at this point or something....but i thought derrick jones, tyler adams, sargent, lennon, epb, ccv, redding all got good enough reviews to maybe get some options...i gues the fact they are mostly under contract with MLS prevents any team from signing them...but if they were free agents it would be different.

24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You had to watch the games to understand why I said what I said. We didn't do anything really spectacular, I think maybe met expectations with that roster. However, we were dominanted in that match vs Venezuela. It was ugly at times.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Brady Scott also moved to Koln.

I'm really surprised at the lack of reported interest in Glad, thats just about the only one I don't understand. I think its a near certainty that we'll see moves from EPB and Sargent within the next year. Carter-Vickers is already at a big club, he won't be leaving, unless its to a lesser club.

I think we could see eventual interest in Redding, Acosta, Ebobisse, Adams, Williamson, maybe Kunga eventually, but they are probably players who'd move later in their careers than immediately. Lennon also, but he's already at a big club. If he moves, its probably to a lesser club.