Jonathan Klinsmann at St.Gallen (Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr.Phil, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from last season Hertha did mention later on during the season that there is no fixed 3rd keeper. That after Jarstein #1 and Kraft #2 it's open.

I think what happened is this, Jonathan joins Hertha in 2017. While he's at Hertha during the 2017-2018 season he's the 3rd keeper as Gersbeck (currently injured) and Korber (on loan this season) were both loaned out last season to get match practice at a higher level. 99-Smarsch who was the #1 in the U19, still made 4 1st team bench appearances last season. A season where he played a major role in Hertha U19's historic 1st Championship trophy. His impressive run made Hertha give him a pro contract until 2021. Jonathan is only signed until 2019.

believe Bild last season stated that Smarsch is being prepped for 2nd keeper as Kraft's contract expires in 2019. Then he'll eventually take over from Jarstein. Who knows if thats true or not.

as for Hertha II, believe it was said that there is likely to be rotations there. And for tomorrow's matchday reports said that Smarsch was preferred over Klinsmann.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If Smarsch is their #3, it's logical they want to keep him match fit by playing him in the Regionalliga.

Guess #4 is between Jonathan and Klatte. This season Jonathan has played two games, got scored on four times, no clean sheet. Klatte has played once, no goals conceded, so he got a clean sheet.

JK needs better numbers or he's going to become the #5 soon.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any idea how good JK really is? like could he find himself as a no.1 at a lower level Bundesliga squad like 3 or 4 Bundesliga?

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually Wednesday he got his first clean sheet of the season, in a 2-0 win at home vs. Fürstenwalde.

The only highlights I've seen of him of late were against Altglienicke. I doubt he'd get minutes in MLS.

The video was on Youtube but got taken down.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm quite amazed that he doesn't speak German fluently. Did JK not bother teaching him? How does he speak with his German grandparents?

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He grew up in the US and his mom probably is American/not German, so he likely didn’t grow up with it being spoken around the home.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well yes, but I'd imagine JK would have tried to keep him knowledgable in it. Maybe summers in Germany perhaps?

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely. Dad was coaching the US national team for what, seven major years of his childhood?

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fast-track rising through the ranks as a German keeper or getting stuck in the Regionalliga as a Yank. They're going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But what do they see in him that his own club doesn't see?

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IIRC, his mom was an American model that Jürgen met while both were in living in London. At least that’s the story I remember hearing. So yeah, like you, I imagine German was not the household language spoken.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has all the physical tools, plus decent reflexes. The rest can be learned, but you need to get enough chances, probably more than the chances given to a foreigner.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is funny. The basis of the article is that the DFB has supposedly extended an invitation to Jon to attend a GK camp for players in the German setup...since after all that wouldn't require any kind of affiliation switch.

Sounds like more of a favor by the DFB for Jürgen (and the US, I guess) - who wouldn't mind the kid getting some extra training reps?

KenC, TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and 4 others repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK senior is behind this I presume.

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Last year, 24 keepers born between 1997 and 2003 were invited to take part in the DFB keeper camp."

Exclusive!

Also, please go.

18. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    this has been the worst year for goalkeeping in MLS in quite some time.
    bad/terrible GK-
    sanchez (chi)
    Willis (hou)
    Miller (LAFC)
    Bingham (LA)
    Bednik (orl)
    Tarbell (SJ)
    Howard (col)

19. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    IIRC, the mom is Chinese American. May be she won on the discussion about which second language should junior learn! (I don't really mean that).

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for those of us who don't follow the league; can you explain why?

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pulisic with no German parents pretty close to fluent German. That another guy has been living in Germany longer than Pulisic and still doesn't know language? Very special kid.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and whaddaya know....mls single season goal scoring record is broken as well....

behind the scenes, MLS probably loves poor GK ...cuz, ya know, more goals.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He probably hangs out with ex-pats. That's not a good idea if you want to assimilate.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he arrived, he had that common pattern of understanding German, but his spoken German wasn't strong enough without practice:

25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    none of those, save howard, have been starters in the league for a considerable time before. Bingham got called into USMNT camps before----LOL---- bednik is a good shot stopper, but is terrible at literally every other facet. sanchez is USL level. Miller makes a lot of mistakes, and has cost LAFC points. Tarbell is trash.

in all honesty, I think the American GK gets too long of a leash in MLS, and the league needs to start importing more foreign keepers to push some of these trash GK's to the bench or to USL.