Jonathan Klinsmann at St.Gallen (Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr.Phil, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pass me some of that grass.

taylor and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan, work on your distribution.

If you want to play in the Bund you can't boot the ball all over the place as you do with the U20s.

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #28 beerslinger23, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    He singlehandedly kept us in the game with a chance. The game was a mirror of USA-Belgium and although he had fewer saves, many of Howard's saves were shots from distance with no chance so I think they were similar performances on that basis. You can disagree, no problem man, however, I don't appreciate the drug implication. I am sober and my position is reasonable.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The thing is, I don't think Howard really kept us in the game against Belgium. He had a bunch of saves to make, but very few were actually difficult saves. While I thought Klinsmann had his best game I've seen him play against Venezuela, I wouldn't say he kept us in the game. I think our defense kept us in the game. And I would compare his performance in that game to Howard, although not for the reason you are saying, pretty much the exact opposite reasoning.

I still don't think Klinsmann deserved to make the roster, nor do I think he had a good tournament. I would say he was slightly below average, not Herrera level, but not one of our better players or even an average player.

5. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I was getting hopeful for a little backup and you saw the same thing in that match but then you say he was mediocre over the whole event which is a reasonable position but one I disagree with. Senegal couldn't put a shot on target and there was little to do vs SA but I think he was just bad in match one but then kind of grew into the event as it went on. Point is I think he earned himself a look overseas and will definitely get one. He was going to get one anyway but he needed to put a high profile match on tape and he did that.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Besides that first game, I thought he was about average the rest of the games.

I hope he does get a contract somewhere with a good program in Europe. I want as many Americans playing at a high level as possible, but I don't think he belonged anywhere near the U-20 roster, and I think his name is getting him very overrated.

ChuckMe92 and beerslinger23 repped this.
  7. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However good Klinsmann's combined saves were were pretty much evened out by how lazy his attempt on the second goal was. So I'd probably pump the brakes on the Belgium comparison. He didn't play awful, and you can say the games had similar dynamics, but I wouldn't draw any parallels within the gk play.

Regardless, I think there's a more than likely chance he skips his next year at Cal. It's only a three month season so he could move in the winter transfer window (after the collegiate season), but I think he only goes back to Cal if there isn't anything on the table.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i will never ever be behind him until he goes on oprah with an apology.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    http://www.espnfc.us/german-bundesl...r-jonathan-klinsmann-gets-hertha-berlin-trial

13. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    A couple of things stood out to me in reading this article. Firstly, it says that the trial at Hertha is taking place because of the relationship between Jurgen and Hertha's general manager Michael Preetz. Secondly, it says that Eintracht Braunschweig, Ingolstadt, and an unnamed Swiss first tier club ought to have (or should have) made offers to Jonathan. Unlike what the ESPN article says, the idea being conveyed is that these clubs should be expected to make offers, not that BZ-Berlin confirms that they have necessarily already done so.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    According to today's paper, Klinsmann currently isn't under consideration in Braunschweig anymore. The club didn't want to wait for his trial at Hertha and is looking at other keepers.

15. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Standing up your date to court another is risky, at best. Madness when done publicly. Not sure how it may work out in big time sports. You better be very handsome to keep dating.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, his mom is a model...

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
  19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Hertha have a good goalkeeping coach? Klinsmann Jr needs some polishing.

21. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    http://www.espnfc.us/story/3152901/jonathan-klinsmann-impresses-hertha-berlin-during-his-trial-spell

"He left a good first impression," Dardai told Tagesspiegel of Klinsmann, who had been preparing for his trial spell with individual training sessions alongside the club's academy coach Ija Hofstadt...
    Dardai added: "If he convinces our goalkeeper coach Zsolt Petry, we'll get him."

Klinsmann will join the rest of the Hertha squad for their first summer training camp in Bad Saarow later this week before his trial ends."

ussoccer97531 and Gorky repped this.
  22. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I am still amazed all the time by the depth and breadth of soccer coverage in Germany. It's like the NFL is covered here or the NHL in Canada. Just so much detail about everything.

23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's not that surprising, most popular sport and all. However, due to his last name, Klinsmann does get way more coverage than your average potential 3rd keeper trialist would get. Which does make me kind of glad he's at Hertha rather than here. Having a back-up player who gets the star treatment from the yellow press due to his dad can be kind of distracting.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, WrmBrnr, TxEx and 8 others repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good news, but if he can get a Bundesliga contract, and Vom Steeg can not, I think we know why that is. It's not because Klinsmann is a better player.

DC_Dave repped this.