Jonathan Gonzalez at Queretaro (OLF from CF Monterrey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by genom, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Wow dude, @Overachiever I understand having a thing against american players because of the rivalry but liking a post about a player getting injured is just sad.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Hope it just serves as a nice break for him.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Behold the power of hope.

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, was just about to post an update. It doesn't seem to be that bad, and he should be able to face Club Leon after all.
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/2017/08/18/celso-ortiz-quedo-descartado-para-enfrentar-a-leon
    Snip (translated):
    Young Jonathan Gonzalez, meanwhile, had to leave the scrimmage game due to a blow in the left ankle, which ignited the alarms in the camp of the Monterrey, nevertheless after the medical examination it was determined that the canterano yes it will be able to face to The Green Panzas.

"Nothing happened to Jonathan, he had a fall and was withdrawn from training because of caution, but he is well," a source told Midway.

On Twitter, there were bunches of Monterrey fans up in arms and unhappy, before more reassuring updates came out. And you can see in the article above that even a hint of injury "ignited the alarms" for the club. Clearly, Gonzalez is an asset for them -- and for us.

Winoman and DeCoverley repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should probably check it with an MRI before clearing him. They could do an x-ray immediately, but they aren't going to see any potential ligament problems.

In a vacuum though it's great and relieving news that he'll technically be available today and it was an ankle injury as opposed to other body parts where problems traditionally have worse prognoses.

This is a player who may be pretty important to the U.S.' future. As a bonus, I love how committed he is to playing for us, instead of waffling, or even favoring the competition. If an nt prospect has a dual background, that's definitely vastly preferable to those alternatives, both in terms of securing their services and how they project to perform for us relative to club after they do.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bummer. I suppose caution is warranted. At least he made the 18.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.com/club/monterre...jonathan-gonzalez-making-strides-at-monterrey

9. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Midweek games in Liga MX today/tomorrow. Monterrey at home vs 4th-place Toluca Wednesday night. Hope he's recovered...

Gacm32 and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sounds super ambitious.....then he says he's aspiring to transfer to Holland. I presume he just means as the bridge to the top leagues?!?! If so, that's not a bad plan. Otherwise it's a weird thing to say.

11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's a very intelligent thing to say. You can't jump from Liga MX to the top leagues all the time and hope to be successful, especially for a really young player. Yeah, some players have done it, but it is intelligent to realize getting a move to a league like the Everdise will help you develop well, and get your feet wet all at once.

chrome_vapors repped this.
  12. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    It's very Big Soccer of him to say.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, it depends on what he means. It didn't clarify and then go on to say and then to Spain, England, or Germany. Then, like I said, that's not a bad plan at all, and shows awareness of the landscape.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Back in the starting XI tonight, match kicks off at 10est on UniMas

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and Ironbound repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Contemplating watching in low def.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, BeefEater, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    LigaMX uniforms are hard enough to follow in HD.

Jonathan is playing CM tonight.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  18. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Get it young man. Get. It. Get it.

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to watch for him. But I'm not sure I even know what color shirt his team is wearing. Maybe the blue?

If so, and if I have id'ed him properly, seems to be doing pretty well so far.

Ironbound repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    He is quick.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Recovered the ball in midfield and made the first pass that started the break for Monterrey's second goal in the 43rd min.

22. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    The statements by el director tecnico Mohamed are reassuring, because it was not clear if J Gonzalez was starting only because of international duty for Jesus Molina or because of injuries in the midfield. As the article points out, Monterrey has shelled out big money on this roster. The midfield is deep and experienced. It's non trivial that JG is starting and I don't expect him to start every game and play 90 minutes every time.

ielag repped this.
  23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Not people in this thread, but people on this forum are seriously underestimating how impressive this has been so far for Gonzalez.

LigaMX struggles to play someone his age because of the cut throat nature of the Apertura/Clausura set up. And he's keeping a 29 y/o almost 30 El Tri cap Jesus Molina on the bench.

If he was playing for say Sparta Rotterdam in the Eredivisie (whom Monterrey would throttle), this thread would probably be 20 pages longer.

comoesa, BeefEater, frankburgers and 3 others repped this.
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I turned a corner last night. I want him on the list next week.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen from this kid is he comes from the same mold as Charleton, small in size but quick first step and can change directions on a dime.