Jonathan Gonzalez at Queretaro (OLF from CF Monterrey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by genom, Feb 26, 2014.

1. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    this situation is akin to college recruiting. you better damn well believe a John Calipari or Nick Saban are doing the best they can with effectively communicating with prospects to let them know they are valued. simply not relaying this, would mean a Coach K or Urban Meyer could step in and have a 'in' with the player, and may ultimately be the catalyst that gets the player on their campus.

it is a big deal.

2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I actually hope we didn’t get in touch with him, because if we did, but he said we didn’t we have more to be concerned about.

Does it make sense to call him up for the Bosnia friendly? I can’t remember if the Jan game always conflicts with Liga MX preseason.

3. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    So what happened to all the buzz about a winter transfer? German and Spanish teams offering $10m?

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Clausura starts on Friday. He won't be available (they have a match on Jan. 27th).

5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea who this guy is or how reliable his info is:

948272148740583424 is not a valid tweet id

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This tweet should be dismissed because it gets key facts wrong.

First off, the Portugal game was a friendly and thus not a cap-tying game. No ifs and or butts. The US doesn't play a cap-tying game until the new League of Nations in September.

Second, Gonzalez is already provisionally cap-tied to the US because he played in CONCACAF U-20 qualifying. Yes, he can switch to Mexico still. But he'd have to fill out FIFA paperwork to do so and that's not a simple process.

Yes, he should have been called up for the Portugal game. But the facts here still matter.

7. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Just an FYI, the guy might carry some weight, he's a higer-up at JugoTV, which is a digital tv show about Mexican soccer backed by one of the largest Latino-American marketing companies.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I think "misinformed on the basics" is a little extreme, he only misused the term "captied". Everything else is plausible... I mean, the Tweeter likely has access to FMF, so you can't dismiss him entirely.

On the other hand, he works for a company that panders to a largely pro-Mexico base, so it's not like he's going to follow that up with "but Osorio and Te Klose's efforts have been falling on deaf ears," so who knows what's true and what's exaggerated? We've seen Journalists on the Mexican-American soccer beat push claims like these before with no proof and no results.

Honestly, I'm not too worried, I think Jona feels slighted but will wait - this becomes more likely if (sigh) Tab Ramos gets the head coaching position. I was just trying to give the Tweeter some context. I googled his name hoping he was just a rando and was felt the need to share that he's actually a guy who likely has sources near/in FMF.

Starman* repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a heads up, Monterrey opens up the league season on Saturday, a little over 2 weeks after the Copa MX final.

Gacm32, Pl@ymaker and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He didn't misuse it. He doesn't seem to understand the rules. You can't claim to be a soccer insider and not know that friendlies aren't cap-tying games.

Further, he completely ignores that JoGo was already provisionally cap-tied to the U.S. That's a huge part of this story and not acknowledging this makes him seem uninformed and thus less-credible.

But other than that....

ArsenalMetro, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

13. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I should have used this on my thesis committee.

ChuckMe92, Deeneaus, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  14. RayRay616

RayRay616 Member

Aug 16, 2013
    For me it shows up as 948272148740583424 is not a valid tweet id

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Looks like the tweet was deleted.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s tough to say that USMNT wants him when there is no coach to place his stake in the ground. The vacuum in leadership now may be hurting our ability to nail down this player.

DeCoverley repped this.
  17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill out everyone - it's a slow news season until the teams start playing again. Lots of journos looking for clickbait.

RayRay616, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN says that Mexico is "likely" to try to call him up for their January friendly vs. Bosnia in San Antonio, Texas, and it is up to him whether to accept. He would presumably have to file a one-time switch if he accepts. The article notes that Mexico has already tried to call him up before to youth teams multiple times but were rejected.
    http://www.espn.com.mx/futbol/mundi...lon-de-su-lado-para-decidir-por-el-tri-o-eeuu

Tom Collingsworth and edcrocker repped this.
  19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English version: http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...o-test-waters-with-us-youth-jonathan-gonzalez

I'll leave the Nat team talk to the proper thread and just point out that Monterrey have a game the Saturday before (ruling JG out for the USA/B&H match on the 28th) and also the Saturday after. While he could play a mid-week game between, I still think his club is not likely to be happy about letting him go for either B&H match.

edcrocker, ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Monterrey is not obligated to release him for the match, as these are not international match dates on the FIFA calendar. Simply put: if he wants to go, he can't. Obviously USSF needs to get in touch with him, but any invite or call-up would be a mere courtesy.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True in theory, but in practice the Mexican clubs are the same people running the Mexican FA, so they often work in concert when releasing players. If Mexico wants him, I predict Monterrey would acquiesce.

22. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Based on previous switches, the one-time switch usually takes longer than a month to push through FIFA's bureaucracy. I'm sure this could be cut-down some, but it would take some serious finagling to call him up for the Bosnia friendly.

23. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    except when its Mexico.

Every LigaMX team bends it for Mexico except for chivas that one time and was heavily criticised for it.

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really...

Julian Green, Aron Johannsson, and Kenny Saief both had their 1-time switches approved in just under 2 weeks. But then again, it comes down to whose desk at FIFA the file lands. It's never a sure thing.

Peretz48, ChuckMe92, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Was this for a friendly outside of the normal FIFA dates? Does Mexico often play friendlies in January?