Jonathan Gonzalez at Queretaro (OLF from CF Monterrey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by genom, Feb 26, 2014.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Na, it turned out to be Taitague. But I'm saying it should have been Gonzalez all along from the description.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Watched all 55' on replay. Immediately you can see he has great touch and close control with his right foot. A little bit later it's obvious he has no use at all for his left foot, but ok.

He was tasked with managing Monarcas counter attack basically, choosing when to press high, understanding any forays into the attacking third risked the ball going behind him.

They got him a couple times, once he got nut-megged, the other he put the ball in a bad spot in the middle when he had advanced an extra 15 yards.

Both times Monarcas countered and had a chance. But Liga MX teams trap like that and with an 18-year-old debutant, they were always keying on him.

I feel like we always gush about technical players because we have a shortage of them, and his technique stands out, but he clearly thinks the game too. El Turco (who also really gave Joe Corona his first extended run at Xolos) put so much trust in him to play him as the fulcrum of midfield in a game where he'd be trapped by a team with less possession. I was impressed with him tactically.

Nothing spectacular but very solid. Nice little player. El Gringo Castillo is there too still and Rogelio Funes Mori, for those with a long memory of US-influenced players. Rayados worth a watch this Torneo.

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went the full match as Rayados won 3-0 over Ascenso side Celaya.

Pl@ymaker, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  5. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    I also saw JG's whole 55' and I agree 100% with your assessment. I also think Monterey could be a challenger this Torneo.

I am new to this forum. How do I rep your post?

sakibomb523, Winoman, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  6. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Jonathan appears extremely fast off the ball, as well. He covers the ground box to box very well, which allows him to venture forward and track back more quickly than most players. I like his potential. It is impressive that he is starting in the spine of the team at such a young age.

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and 4 others repped this.
  7. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    I think you have to post a couple of times before they start to let you rep people's posts. And welcome to the forum!

Winoman, Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Thanks!

9. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Welcome man! Are you a current student at UCI? I'm working in Irvine on Jamboree

Gacm32 repped this.
  10. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    UCI is my alma mater. I was a student when Brad Evans was on the team.

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and SlyEli repped this.
  11. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Ha! Not to derail the thread, but I work on MacArthur and Main

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Haha I used to work down there at Sparton Corp, off of McGaw and Jamboree. Man, such a small world.

SlyEli repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can't be good...

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Darn, subbed off in the 42' due to Monterrey getting a red card.

He was looking solid. Made a very good defensive play on what would've been a good chance for Veracruz.

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So i recorded it for nothing lol

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monterrey win 1-0 despite playing down a man from the 39th minute

Pl@ymaker, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why are you subbing out a CM though?

Overachiever repped this.
  19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This dude @Overachiever just lurks in pretty much every yanks abroad thread and waits to like 'negative' posts in regards to the subject player lol you would think an El Tri supporter wouldn't care that much to follow every single yank abroad thread.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, so long as the "rep" cashes...

Wait, these are meaningless? Nooooo!!!!!

Ironbound and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Maybe, the manager preferred a more experienced defender to play with a man down.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Monterey plays at Tijuana on Friday. Monterey juegar a Tijuana en Viernes (practicing my Spanish).

I hope Jona Gonzo and Paul Arriola both start.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reporter says Jonathan was subbed off due to the red card, and received recognition from the crowd as he departed the field.

These fans, among others, say he didn't deserve to be taken off:

And Jonathan "liked" this tweet, so I don't think there's real worry about him switching (also, in the third photo, look at how happy Jesse Gonzalez looks):

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I watched all 90'. He was good before he went off. Plays with maturity. Just one of those times when a cheap red meant he had to be taken out. Nothing to worry about his class is obvious to see. Actually I thought he looked like he learned from jornada 1. Some good plays - good head on his shoulders good feet on the ground. We have a good one here boys.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile at ASN. Seems he turned down Chivas to play for the US:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/jonathan-gonzalez-18-off-to-great-start-with-monterrey

Gonzalez was one of the top players at Alianza in 2013 and he attracted the interest from just about every Liga MX team. One of the team’s interested was Chivas de Guadalajara which, along with Real Madrid, was one of Gonzalez’s favorite teams growing up.

But signing with Chivas would prevent him from playing for the United States due to the club’s long-standing policy of only signing players who are eligible and willing to play for Mexico on the international stage. So in the end Gonzalez opted for Monterrey, which has won Mexico’s top flight four times, the Copa MX once, and the CONCACAF Champions League three times.

“At Alianza, we don’t develop players, we showcase them,” said Alianza’s Joaquin Escoto. “It’s really up to the player. He has earned everything. In 2013 he was a winner. Every Liga MX team invited him. He was one of the youngest players. He was definitely a standout. Every team was pretty aggressive to get him—especially Chivas and Monterrey. Chivas really wanted him but he wanted to play for the United States. So he went to Monterrey.

“When it comes to Mexico or the United States, most say they’ll go with whoever calls them first because they just want to play internationally,” Escoto continued. “But Jonathan always wanted to play for the United States.”