Jonathan Gonzalez at Queretaro (OLF from CF Monterrey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by genom, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic.

The arguments for Bradley going 90 every game over giving someone like Gonzalez some time were so flimsy that people were bringing up Totti saying nice things about him 2012 as a reason for his continued starts.

But yes, Gonzalez's work rate, hustle, just his general presence never mind his passing at tempo would certainly have helped the NT.

It's just amazing to me how we went out, with Bradley casually jogging all over the place and Nagbe doing his regular dribble and turnover while Gonzalez, Williams and McKennie were deemed not good enough. Those three with Pulisic in front and we're in Russia. Just imagine Gonzalez at the 6 with Williams/McKennie as the 8's in a diamond with Pulisic up top. The work rate, hustle, just general ambition would have been off the charts compared to what we saw.

KUSA77, ChuckMe92, chrisdon72 and 3 others repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams was hurt but anyway not the right forum to disagree with you here.

Gacm32 repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams for me would have been a prior inclusion but you're right, wrong forum for this.

4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jonathan Gonzalez plays pretty good for an 18 year old! I don't understand why he was never called to play for the USMNT. What I have seen his age is not a factor. Yes, he needs improvement and will get it over time.

What will prevent him from playing for Mexico, if in case he does get called up, for this coming WC? The offer will be very tempting, even if he doesn't play a minute, just the purpose of attending a WC at 18 years old is a great accomplishment. He wasn't in the U20 WC either. That must be frustrating for him since he is showing that he belongs or at least deserved an opportunity with both the U20 and the USMNT.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams may be a bit too old to be put with this group for the long term. That formation of 3 should only see the light against Brazil/Germany opponents.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opportunities will come. If I see the older players at the next friendly...I'm going to throw something at the tv.

ChuckMe92, Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You and I and everyone else thinks that new blood should be called up to the USMNT but will the new coach actually do it? That is my concern. We might lose a player. I saw a video before where Turco Mohammed had asked Osorio to take a closer look at Jonathan Gonzalez as he will be an asset to Mexico. I just hope he won't take the bait, like I said on my previous post, if he gets called up for the WC. That will be one very tempting offer that no dual national will pass up, specially if the other country didn't qualify.

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    We get it...you don’t like Michael Bradley.

And since we are in the Gonzalez thread, my initial concern is that his club team won’t release him for the November friendlies especially if they are in Europe. We will see I guess.

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Aren't they on a FIFA date?

KUSA77, ChuckMe92, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Could be true...which in that case disregard my previous note.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Tab Ramos is the coach, expect him to be called up in November.

TxEx repped this.
  12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    IMO the US has a huge advantage in luring in young duals. Mexico is not going to call up a player just to cap-tie him and I agree with this. Just has the unfortunate side effect, especially right now, of turning 18-19 year old duals away and toward the US. They have a much higher chance of getting minutes there. I'm even slightly worried of Abraham Romero getting lured into the USMNT. As of next season he'll be playing all secondary tournaments at club level which is a huge deal.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already provisionally cap-tied to the US. It would require a change of affiliation for him to even go to a Mexico camp...

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been many tug-of-wars between Mexico and the US players. However, if Jonathan Gonzalez pans out and becomes an impact player for someone, he'll be the first contested player to really be important. Torres, Castillo, Ponce, et al. Who remembers Jesus Padilla and Sonny Guadarrama?

ChuckMe92, Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan's meteoric rise has been Pulisic-like

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic was our starlet player at the u17 level.

Gonzalez wasn't deemed good enough for the last u20 squad

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here, but his rise to the first team has been just like Pulisic's if not even faster.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean his age then yes but Pulisic was always a highly rated player so his breakthrough was less surprising and at a higher level than Gonzalez who was relatively unnoticed by the US crowd

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Not sure how you can make a sweeping statement based on a few ML games? He's a promising young player. If I've learned anything in all these years on this forum, it's to not get ahead of the hype. To anoint a 5'8" midfielder as the next Jermaine Jones based on a couple videos is stretching optimism to its extreme limit.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess only Tab knows if he wasn't available or just didn't rate him high enough.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just confirmed my statement. "Seems to be showing" is like a synonym for being a promising young player. Unless you really want to get hung up on semantics

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's started like 13 games, many people have watched most of them, not just highlights, and he's not just been out there rather he's excelled.

But it's not anybody's spot for the taking. It's very up for grabs. He's just one of the best candidates. Should be a great competition there. I thought we wanted our players to compete for their spots and not just have it handed to them.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It seems" = Looks like, it doesn't mean "he is".
    The kid may plateau at that level or he may continue to meet the challenges of tougher opponents. He looks promising, don't confuse a player's current ability to another player's past accomplishments.

I think this kid is already beyond youtube videos, he is doing it day in day out.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic wasn't playing up a level. Gonzalez is eligible for the next U20 cycle.

TxEx, Gacm32 and Real Corona repped this.
  25. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Already been clarified here...