Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked pretty bad against CSKA Moscow. Fernades shut him down pretty easily.

20:16 - 20:43 and 36:07 - 36:30 is just bad.

bsky22 repped this.
  2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #302 Ceres, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    When you look at their faces, the FCN players may look like boys playing against grown men, and Mikkel Damsgaard who scored the 1-1 equalizer is only 17-yo, but they were still able to keep up physically against an experienced Russian team that narrowly missed out on the CL knockout stages, but are now preparing for the round of 32 in the Europa League..

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #303 Ceres, Feb 3, 2018
    Did you really think an 18-yo talent with only 270 minutes worth of Superliga to his name was going to run circles around much older and CL experienced players from the Russian Silver-medalists who are preparing for the round of 32 in the Europa League ?

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you making excuses? A better player with good ball skills and a higher soccer IQ, would've been more effective.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    How do you think a US youth NT would have done ? .. because this is what we are taliking about ... mainly youth NT players between the age of 17 and 23 being up against a team that narrowly missed progressing from the CL group stage ...

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one of our better U20 left wingers played against CSKA Moscow, they probably would've done a lot better. Carleton, a '00 and Taitague, a '99, are a lot better at that position than Amon.

7. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #307 chrome_vapors, Feb 3, 2018
    I always get skeptical when some people criticize a player's "soccer IQ" with no provided context or without any substance behind the criticism.

Our culture within the sport has to evolve beyond non-contextual jargon. Just because you hear some British announcer utter it on TV doesn't make it good insight.

The eyes can't see (or fail to see) what the mind doesn't know @Pl@ymaker.

If I'm wrong though tell me, you claim to be observing the games, explanatory knowledge shouldn't be out of reach then.

jjmack, Patrick167 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton has played mostly in the USL. CSKA just finished playing (badly) in the CL group stage.

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that but my point was that that Carleton, being more talented, would've done more than Amon did in this friendly.

10. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The extent of his insight into Amon's inadequate soccer IQ seems to be conjecture and hypothetical what if, concerning players he's never seen play against comparable opposition.

Everybody is mad at USSF right now but again as a culture and society within the sport, we have do better with our interpretation and critical viewing of the game.

PalmettoSpur and EricSunRa repped this.
  11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #311 Ceres, Feb 3, 2018
    CSKA picked up 9 points in the CL group stage and only narrowly missed progressing even though they beat Basel away... Benfica that won the championship in Portugal, finished last with 0 points in their CL group ... I would not call that playing badly ... the US U-20's would get run over by CSKA not least du to their lack of experience at this level. ...

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or course they would but that's not what matters. You should be asking if another US U20 winger would've done better?

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And the answer would be "We have no clue".

frankburgers and adam tash repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    CSKA is a good team, it is a preseason friendly, we have no idea how much Jonathan Amon will improve or evolve, what his commitment will be to his profession, if he will take advantage of chances, etc.

But...there was something a little disappointing about how he was a complete ghost in that game.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #315 Ceres, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    As earlier mentioned, Lyngby are on the brink of bankruptzy and so FCN could be signing some of their players for free, or at least the are rumored to do so ... Lyngby now have until friday to find a buyer and the price tag is at least $3.3 million ... the owners of Brighton are out. while the Chinese owner of Aston Villa, Tony Xia, still seem interested ... whoever buy the club obviously get a Superliga license + a club that is known for being quite good at developing young talented players for export (and to FCN), but unfortunately is selling them too cheaply due to their financial problems... If I was in charge of MLS I would be interested in buying ... they could send young Americans to Lyngby to develop them further and also pick up highly talented Danish players for free..

KenC, Winoman and adam tash repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would make too much sense......doubt it happens

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    MLS teams are more concerned with pillaging South American players and making GAM for TAM trades than developing Americans at the moment

neems, jjmack, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is enough sample size to lean either way. You are just speculating on players that aren't even being tested at the level of Amon. Too early for such a comparison.

jjmack repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Imagine a world in which professional organizations can do more than one thing at a time.

The Irish Rover and adam tash repped this.
  20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ever watch Khiry Shelton play? Try it and you’ll see what low soccer IQ is.

I agree with your point in this instance. I disagree with your premise, though.

21. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
  23. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    lol at even making this claim given, absolute lack of data points and observable soccer games played.

EricSunRa repped this.
  24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    why? while mls development track record is spotty at best. buying a club would make sense to some, but simply sending MLS players to a worse league doesn't seem like the best path.

25. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me (not currently a millionaire) or does $3 million for a first division team in a Western European country sound insanely cheap?

Even after accounting for operating expenses (and the threat of immenent relegation) it seems like a steal. I’ll throw a few hundred dollars in the pot if people want go in with me.

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.