Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #226 punintended_13, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

Started in the friendly this morning. Got a goal and an assist, plus drew a penalty. Game finished 6-3 in favor of his side.

Game can be seen here on replay.

TheFalseNine, TxEx, Namdynamo and 10 others repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored the third goal of a 6-3 thumping. He also drew a PK on the fourth goal which a teammate converted.

FCN had a 6-0 lead before taking their foot off the gas pedal

3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cheery picked statistics time:

Emre Mor in his first 5 league games for FC Nordsjaelland- 1 goal, 0 assists.

Jonathan Amon in his first 5 league games for FC Nordsjaelland- 1 goal, 2 assists.

In all seriousness, a quick look through their recent transfer history shows that this could be a place for him to really shine and be sold on. I don't think Amon is getting enough attention. He seems like a special player.

TxEx, Namdynamo, RayRay616 and 3 others repped this.
  4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Be still, my beating heart.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Looked like he got some nice bend on that finish. Impressive

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    brjohnson, neems, Namdynamo and 12 others repped this.
  7. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Honestly they should cap hip now. He can offer some speed and danger on the wing the team is lacking right now.

jjmack and bballshawn repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't cap him because we have no dance to go to, we just have to wait and invite him to friendlies.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His favorite move is pushing the ball forward to himself, is a simple move but because he is so quick it always seems to work for him. He needs to be invited to the next friendly.

10. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly he should have scored three. Still fun to watch, very quick. The Emre Mor comparisons seem appropriate until Jonathan shows a bit more substance/end product.

11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    At FCN they keep comparing him to an obviously younger version of Emre Mor but with a much better attitude = an excellent work ethic and with both his feet on the ground, which is what Emre Mor never had...

.. and btw ... remember that this was a friendly within a long winter break, so all the players are very rusty ...

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would make sense that they are rusty but Jonathan just came off of a long camp with the US U-20 team. He should have been less rusty than most

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  13. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    That's Pulisic's bread and butter too.

No substitute for being really quick.

LouisZ repped this.
  14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FCN have told their 28-yo Norwegian left-winger/forward Mohammed Fellah not to join their training camp, but to stay at home so that he can find himself a new club ... so Amon now seem to have one less rival ...

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still unimpressed with Amon. How far do speedy players with average ball skills go in Europe? I wouldn't know because I mostly watch MLS nowadays.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I haven’t seen enough to have a strong opinion of his “ball skills”. Let’s just assume average. In addition to his speed and quickness, I’ve really liked his decision making after getting past his man. The majority of the time, I’ve liked what he is trying to do even if he doesn’t pull it off. He shoots when he should absolutely shoot and passes when that is the obvious choice. In his last game, there was a play wher he probably should have shot, but another defender was pressuring him and the goalkeeper was closing the angle and the instinct to lay a ball off for the trailing runner was a good idea.

In terms of MLS players, Kekutah Manneh is the only player I can think of to compare him to from recent years. Amon turns 19 at the end of April and Manneh turned 19 after the end of his rookie season. How would you compare the two at similar ages? Many are disappointed with Manneh’s development in the last four years but just got signed by Pachuca. It looks like Amon is ahead already mentally and in a better environment to develop than KM in Vancouver.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have high expectations for him. He does look better than Manneh. I'd rather see Amon called up instead Manneh. Hope he does get better but I just don't see it happening.

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You do not get to play for FCN in the Superliga if your ball skills are only average by MLS standard, because they play "Spanish" style short passing, so they have no use for players with just average ball skills... and FCN are by far the team with the most skilled players the Danish league... but they only got 5 players in their squad above the age of 24, including Fellah who is on his way out, so they got the youngest top-flight squad in all of Western Europe, which is why they are less likely to actually become Danish Champions.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-nordsjaelland/startseite/verein/2778

Namdynamo, Sandon Mibut, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm calling bullsh*t on that. There is no evidence of him being a baller, not even as an American youth is he one of the best. Your league may get it right most of the time but with Amon, he got picked for his athleticism. The club will probably get a nice transfer for him but if speed is all he's got, he is gonna be another flop. People need to quit comparing him to Mor, that guy is gifted.

20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be a relevant question if he truthfully had average ball skills.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. you dont sound like you've actually watched him play.
    2. manneh's ball skills and speed are better than almost every wide mid the usmnt has used in the last 10 years. so if he's better than manneh, he will definitely be important to the usmnt.
    3. if youre unfamiliar with a player and the leauge he plays in and his chances for success....why come on here and cast so much doubt on him?

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #248 Ceres, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    It's not "people" but his FCN team-mates and coach who keep comparing him to Emre Mor and actually think he will do better than Emre, because he has a better work ethic...

Here is what the FCN coach has said .. and there is no better coach in Denmark at developing young Superliga players, so he surely know what he's talking about :
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/jonathan-amon-fc-nordsjælland-in-denmark.2052223/page-5#post-36132672

Namdynamo, adam tash, bballshawn and 4 others repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #249 Sandon Mibut, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Completely disagree with this.

He has some moves to get past players that few players in Europe have, at least consistently.

Watch the move on this video where he sets up his defender with a juke to the left and then scores with his right. It's as good a move as you'll see anywhere in Europe. And he does it consistently.

https://streamable.com/f3y5d

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I've watched both and you're wrong about Manneh having good ball skills. Have you seen Carleton, Pynadath or Llanez? Those guys have ball skills.
    2. His potential as a player is between Gatt and Arriola's.
    3. I'm not unfamiliar with the league and player, I've watched enough of him to know if he's special or not. I've watched other players in the same league.