Jon-Paul Pittman at Grimsby Town

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by arsenalfc08, Feb 2, 2009.

1. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Crawley Town Football Club can confirm that young striker Jon Paul Pittman has joined Coca-Cola League 2 leaders Wycombe Wanderers.

Pittman was the subject of significant interest in recent days with two separate football league clubs submitting written offers and another making a verbal bid on Sunday morning. He has scored 17 goals this season and was on schedule for 25 plus goals so he will be a big loss.

The player moves to Wanderers for an undisclosed respectable five figure sum plus additional clauses that will provide the Reds with future income from the transfer

“He came here at a low time for him in football and we have helped re-build his confidence. We have worked with him continuously on the training ground and his hard graft has been rewarded.

http://www.crawleytownfc.net/newsdetails.php?ID=1044

I'm so excited for him! He deserves this move.

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Nice!

Big up in Salary I think right?

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wycombe is a good bet for promotion to League One, which makes this move especially good.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycombe are leading league 2, I think they are 4 points clear. It's a good move, he has worked hard and fully deserves to be back in league football.

I can't wait tell his first game!

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Isn't JPP 22? BBC is saying he is 24.

Edit: He is 22, BBC are wrong.

Wycombe's next game is Tuesday but I'm thinking it will be postponed because of the blizzard that hit England. Saturday the 7th they play Darlington which could be his first apperance.

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycome have 5 strikers (not including JPP), but we know he can play on the wing. I'm only including full starts for the ST, not sub apperances

Harrold, 24, has 12 goals in all competitions

Zebroski,22, is pacy and has 6 league goals in 21 apperances, I think he may be injured

McGleish, 34, has 3 goals

Grant, 24, 1 apperance and 1 goal

Vieira,23, 2 starts, 2 goals (one of his previous clubs was Crawley)

Balanta (loan from QPR) 9 starts, 3 goals.

It seems like Wycome have a lot of pace upfront, most of them are described as quick/pacy.

8. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Great to hear...good luck to the kid at Wycombe.

9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I emailed Ives about JPP, maybe he will post it. I kinda hope not though, then everyone will probably bash him. There doing it to JJ! You know JJ has always said he wanted to play for the USA but apparently he isn't good enough because "he is only in league 1".

Well we know how good they are. Could you imagine if JJ and JPP played on the same team, they could be a 2 man goal scoring machine.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who knows more about him kinda give us a short story of his career and where he came from?

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He was born in Oklahoma. Played in Aston Villa's youth academy. Moved to Nottingham Forest (zero apperances) loaned to Hartlepool and Bury (scored 1 goal). Signed a 6 month contract with Doncaster before moving to Crawley in 2007 were he finally settled and flurished. Scored 24 goals while at Crawley. He has a lot of pace,very fast. He can play upfront or on the wing. Scored 17 goals this season including a hattrick against Cambridge in the FA Trophy. He has dual citizenship.

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M6O3D3AXE"]YouTube - Crawley Town 5-3 Woking - Jon-Paul Pittman Goal 1 (19/09/07)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVf-XaFlw8&feature=related"]YouTube - Crawley Town 5-3 Woking - Jon-Paul Pittman Goal 2 (19/09/07)[/ame]

12. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John-Paul Piitman

I'm not sure if he's available for the national team, but the English media call him "the American striker" so i'm guessing he could be called up for the USA. He has moved to Wycombe from Crawley Town. More details here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wycombe_wanderers/7865098.stm

And we know for sure that he's an American when the Wycombe manager called him a "very, very quick player" Looks like the lower leagues of English football are going to be taken over with American strikers

[​IMG]
    http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~1542148,00.html

13. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see JP make the jump back to league football, it was only a matter of time. Hopefully he can keep moving up.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Re: John-Paul Piitman

Did you not read the first page? Or even the post above yours? This stuff has already been covered LOL.

Yes he is able to play for the USA, he was born in Oklahoma and has expressed a desire to play for the national team.

He has dual citizenship, that is why he has been able to play in England.

16. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycombe are currently top of the table, so it's possible he could be in League 1 next season. Granted Wycombe don't slip or anything.

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycombe's game against Barnet has been postponed. Barnet have undersoil heating but it wasn't enough to allow the game to be played.

The next game is Saturday at Darlington. I posted info about Wycombe's ST's on the first page. I think he could have a good shot of getting some pt but of course we will have to wait and see.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe it took me two news days to discover this story, since I've probably been the 2nd biggest JPP follower around here behind arsenalfc08. :)

This is a good move. I really enjoyed following Pittman at Crawley Town while learning more about the Conference, but he's been ready to move up all season. He's been terrific this season for Crawley, and I expect that once he settles in, he will have no problem being productive in League Two. This move could end up being a real coup for Pittman if Wycombe holds their good form and get promoted to League One.

Wycombe, by the way, made a winner out of striker Jermaine Easter, who gained notoriety for Wanderers when he scored 6 goals in the Carling Cup in 2006/07 and earned a transfer to Championship side Plymouth.

Welcome back! :D

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Finally! I was wondering when you were going to post lol.

It's a good move for him. He has had a great first half of the season at Crawley. I think he will get some playing time against Darlington, at least I hope. I'm not sure who Wycombe's main strikers are though so we shall see on Saturday.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Sadly the game against Darlington was postponed because of a frozen pitch. This is the 2nd game in a week that has been called off. Wycombe's game against Barnet on Tuesday was also postponed.

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should give him more time to settle with the team before the next game.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to have a busy schedule later.

23. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    The Wycombe manager is very upset because of the "wasted journey" to Darlington. The team traveled 500 miles and stayed overnight in a hotel only to go home the next day. He said Darlington tried to reschedule the game for Tuesday but the Wycombe manager said no way because the forecast calls for more snow and freezing rain. Darlington will have to cover Wycombe's travel expenses according to the Football League rules.

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~1549709,00.html

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Apologies if this has been posted but here's a nice profile:

ELEVEN months ago John-Paul Pittman picked the ball up on the edge of his box, sprinted all the way down to the other end of the field and planted the ball in the back of the opposition net for a stunning solo goal.

As the Crawley Town striker celebrated, fed-up opposing boss Peter Taylor put his head in his hands and then made a mental note of the name of the player who had inflicted the damage.

He has kept tabs on Pittman ever since and on Monday he splashed an undisclosed five-figure sum to bring him to Adams Park.

Taylor said: “I remember that goal really well. He got the ball on the edge of his own box, beat three or four of our players and then finished it off.

“It was a special goal and I didn’t forget it.” ​

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/4105334.Wonder_goal_caught_Taylor_s_eye/

[​IMG]

25. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    JPP has a very good chance of making his debut tomorrow against Bradford. He said that the extra time to settle in has helped him adapt. Wycombe manager said that he has a "great chance of being in the starting lineup. I think he could make the ideal partner for Matty Harold and thats one of the reasons I let Scott Mcleish go on loan to Leyton Orient.

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~1555658,00.html