john thorrington

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Sep 11, 2002.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Thorrington a real talent or a bust? Does he have a future the national team and is he possible Premiership type player? I realize that he plays in the less than desirable English 2nd division and Huddersfield have struggled early on but I was impressed with him in some game footage I saw. He wasn't flashy but seemed consistent with his play. He distributed the ball well and looked to be a average defender. The only real nagative I saw he passed up too many shots.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The word on Thor is that he is a real talent. He suffered a series of major injuries after training with ManU and one major German side, I forget which, which is how he ended up at Huddersfield Town.

He's still been fighting injuries.

He would have been an automatic starter for the 2000 Olympic team had he not been hurt, the same situation Steve Cherundolo was in.

He's still a young player. Last year, when he was really in form, he was far and away the best player in the Second Division.

Sachin

3. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: john thorrington

I agree.

The club in Germany was Bayer Leverkusen.

4. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: john thorrington

Bayer Leverkusen: wasteland for US soccer talent.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And he was called in for WC Qualifier camps but was injured and couldn't go.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would like to believe he is good but really, how good can he be when no team for the 2 or 1st level have bought him. I'm sure there are many A league players who are tearing that league up too. Unless and until he plays at a higher level of soccer, I can't get too excited.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: john thorrington

Sure, and no team made a move to buy him. I have a bridge that you can buy cheap!

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few others on the board and I went to see John play last season. There was no mistaking that he had lots of talent. I really think he's got a shot at playing at the top level. He's the kind of player we really need playing for the national team. I guess he is most like Demarcus Beasley, but stronger (anyone agree or disagree?) He likes to run at players and has a lot of pace.

I think he deserves a good look from Bruce.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: john thorrington

That's because the poor guy was hurt for much of last season.

Southhampton and Birmingham both had scouts to watch him and were impressed enough that, if he had remained healthy, one of them would have an offer.

Sachin

10. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, since I follow 2nd division football, I will give my opinion. Last year, JT was injured to start the year. He came on like gangbusters when he worked his way into the line up. From October through around January, he was the best player on HT in my opinion, and many of the fans loved him as well. He then ran into some injury troubles that kept him sidelined(or at least off top condition) foir a couple of monthes. HT still made the playoffs, but the team really began to take a nose dive around this period. When JT made it back, he perfomred okay, but not as well as he had earlier in the season. HT continued in their slump, backed into the playoffs and were fairly easily elimianted. JT has returned this season, and he has shown many of his skills. However, he has really struggled in the finishing rea oand some of the mental aspects of the game. Thus, the fans see the talent, but are irritated about these lapses. AS for how he racks up against competition in Division 2. While possibly the best player on HT, which was a playoff team last year, he is not the quality of a player like Bobby Zamora Graham Kavanagh, Danny Gabbidon, etc. However, just because a higher level team hasn't picked him up, does not mean he couldn't go there. Bobby Zamaora is still playing for Brighton (in fact he signed a contract extension) in the 1st divisoon (after being promoted from the 2nd and 3rd divisons in consecutive years) even though Everton and otehr teams tried to purchase him. The market has been down, and teams aren't going to sell their best player for cash unless they don't beleive they can be prkmoted to higher revenues. JMHO