John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could add that he has all of the tools to succeed both physically and technically but lacks the mental fortitude to succeed at the highest level. It's fustrating watch a player that could have been great not achieve the level of success we'd like to see for our national team.

Could some of his shade be about his color... possibly. But 90% is a gross exaggeration.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. Jozy did OK while at Villarreal. Maybe he wasn't cut out for the hustle and bustle of a relegation fight in the PL. It's not the worst thing. He might have succeeded in Germany or maybe Italy. Any American would be content with that. He has rediscovered himself while at TFC, I just wish he might try going abroad again to see if he could make it in a top 3 league.

raza_rebel repped this.
  3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    OK players generally do not get loaned out to a lower league.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And they also don't score 40+ international goals.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Black guy doesn't have the mental strength to succeed at the highest level.

Donovan McNabb could never be a top-level NFL quarterback.

90% isn't a gross exaggeration.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/B...nd-team-mates-brush-teeth-training-461965.jsp

Wolfsburg are in 14 th place and play Hoffenheim 4th this weekend.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan didn't have the mental fortitude to do it either. That's always been his biggest knock. He had the technical and physical abilitys to be top class but never had the right mentality. Plenty of white QB's didn't have what it takes mentally either.

I'm not denying that racism isn't still very prevalent. Or that it can effect some people's judgement of a player. But 90% isn't based in anything. It's a made up percent used to drive home your point.

Namdynamo, adi21 and DeCoverley repped this.
  8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we not do this here

adi21, eliwood, sakibomb523 and 8 others repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right we shouldn't do this here as Jozy/LD and any other example isn't the point of this thread.

So in the spirt of getting back on track... glad to see JAB is back out on the field doing some form of training. He's one of the most talented CBs we've had at our disposal and I hope he comes back full force. I think he has a great opportunity to take the lead with what shapes up to be a young backline going forward.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i guess you mean a "higher league"?

i can't imagine Italy or Germany being seen as a lower league than MLS.

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Jozy was loaned out to Xerez of the 2nd division before he was loaned out to Hull.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    This discussion took inspiring turn. Urgently getting national anthem playing while falling on my knees. Has Howard, Pope and DMB were also attacked for lack of mental strength?
    Is Landon who's been attacked consistently, a black quarterback in disguise?

adi21 repped this.
  13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Sunil Chhetri for India has 54 goals, and he's definitely a below mediocre player.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's clearly the main factor, and for the casual fans the fact that he was playing for a dumpster fire each time is something that doesn't register. Another factor is the culture of the EPL and of American soccer: stamina, endless running and aggression are prized, while his best skill is combination play. On top of that, a guy with his, shall we say "meaty" physique who has decent pace is expected to be a battering-ram who does hold-up play, even if that would make him a less effective player.

Add to that his personality. He's genuinely likable and quite thoughtful for a pro athlete, so he's also pretty mellow and relaxed, which feeds into stereotypes about the easygoing black guy who gets by on talent but isn't too fanatical about improvement. There's no real basis to that: I highly doubt Josef Schulz would have taken on a lazy kid and if he did, the kid wouldn't have stayed lazy for very long ;). Neither would he have succeeded in Holland or MLS either.

IMO, the real reason is the simple one. He was much too good for MLS 1.0 and the Eeredvisie, which meant that he cost too much for teams that were a match for his real abilities at the time - the likes of Freiburg, Augsburg or Nantes in 2013 - while AZ's finances were and are based on bringing in +$10 million a season in transfer fees. Desperate EPL bottom-feeders are the only teams willing to pay that kind of money ($13 million for Jozy) for a still-developing 24 year-old and expect him to make an immediate impact on his own.

15. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Available for Selection

Deeneaus, sakibomb523, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  16. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Wow, nice, most have been a mild strain. Hopefully he doesn't re-aggravate it Blake Griffin style

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It would actually be fairly easy to assess, if anyone wanted to do the datamining.

There's tons of posts on BS over many years specific to all USMNT players that can be sorted by poster. It would be easy to write some data mining tool to ID + or - posts about players from all posters, see what the patterns are.

I have no idea what the outcome would be, but if someone wanted to invest the time and money it would not be hard at all.

18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not selected today. not sure if he's on the bench.

19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Not on the bench either. Still listed with thigh injury.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't in the 18 today

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol what? Jozy has tried to succeed at the highest level, and failed. On three occasions. But I guess injecting racial politics into this thread when you are bored makes sense.

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get this stuff out of JAB's YA thread please.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t bring it up bro, but I agree we should toss it.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what the thread you're always involved. Take your shit to 4chan.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are one of my biggest followers around here, making me famous. i'm glad I keep you interested in following bigsoccer.com. I don't think 4chan specializes in USA player criticisms, but you should save your race-baiting tendencies for huffingtonpost.

adi21 repped this.