John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure on bund euro spots- is herta in the europa league next year? in any case, (not being overly familiar with the league) im not seeing moving to a team that just avoided relegation as a step up. you can get a fresh start someone other than a team at the opposite end of the table than yours just finished.
    is there any real argument against this being a step down with more money?

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks what are you doing?

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3305 The Irish Rover, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    The only way this move could be reclassified from "a step down in return for a bigger paycheque" is if Brooks is one of about 3-5 new signings of equivalent or better standing for a total outlay of about 50-70 nillion.
    The problem is, 1) there's no sign of moves being made for that number of players for that kind of money, and 2) all the media reports over the last year have been of VW scaling back their commitment to Wolfburg.
    Maybe the relegation scare has changed minds in VW's boardroom, but I'd be very sceptical if I were advising JAB. "Make two other 15 million signings and then we'll talk" would be my response.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool that he smashed the US transfer fee record(until Pulisic has something to say about that) but this move makes little sense.

If Wolfsburg of all clubs is willing to splash 19M I'd wager he could have found a better situation for an even larger fee. Why jump on this before June 1st???

Just weird to be a regular for a side like Hertha, be entering your prime at 24 and choose Wolfsburg. Whatever. At least he'll be fresh and in form for the WC.

ShortyMac and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath has a shot if he can get the nod.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolfsburg will bounce back they have too much talent not too but I think it would have been better to wait and see if any other options were there but we aren't privy to that info so we'd never know.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha BSC to Wolfsburg really isn't a step down in the grand scheme of things. The reality is Wolfsburg is a big club which happened to underperform this season.

Hertha Berlin may have a little money as well Wolfsburg is the bigger club culturally and competitively.

I mean Wolfsburg were Bundesliga runners up the season before last. They've won legit trophies and competed in the CL proper within the past 3 seasons, never mind actually winning the league in the past decade.

Watching the relegation playoff this weekend, the players and coaches looked hungry and grateful that they survived this season's debacle. If the Brooks deal is final, one or two more high profile signings this summer and they may not be in bad shape next year.

Zinkoff, russ, HartwickFan and 10 others repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its a step up. Not as much of step up as I think he could've made, but that can come in a few seasons.

LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  10. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a step up. Wolfsburg has the $$ to bounce back. People on this board rely to much on how the table finished for the current season. Hertha Berlin are lucky to be in the Group Stage for the Europa League and not in the playoff round, only because BVB won the Pokal. I'll never forget when people thought Michael Bradley moving from Chievo to AS Roma was a lateral move.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So Brooks broke the US transfer record with an $18 million dollar move?

I recall Jozy moved to Sunderland for $13 million while Dempsey moved to Spurs for $ 9 million.

Any other big transfers?

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  13. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    The move was for €20 million ($22.4m)

14. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Brooks rides with Volkswagen
    Brooks catches the bug to leave Berlin.
    Beetle Juice Brooks to Wolfsburg.

15. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Keep in mind they may still have cash from the Draxler sale, the Schurrle sale, and Ricardo Rodriguez looks likely to leave so he'll command a pretty hefty fee as well.

I suspect John Brooks won't be the end of the purchases for Wolfsburg this summer.

Zinkoff repped this.
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The Wolf chasing the Brook - JAB at Wolfsburg

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bestill my beating heart

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, CCV is supposed to get minutes with Spurs according to Pochettino and Villareal are in Europa League if Akale can make the jump.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did make it clear at the beginning of my post "then from the Bundesliga", wasn't talking about all of Europe based US players.

superdave repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

How about none of this? It seems like those who have the catchy thread titles struggle. I say keep it John Brooks at VfL Wolfsburg.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the local sports radio station, they have a segment called "stoppage time" that they throw in randomly, where the producer talks about soccer. They mentioned this transfer. Then the host talked about how Wolfsburg was awful and barely avoided relegation.

I was really impressed.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gorky repped this.
  22. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    The size $$ of the transfer is what is a really big deal here. Tooling around on Transfermarket, this is the 29th largest purchase by a bundesliga club ever. When filtering further to Defenders it is #6. JAB's price tag is in some lofty territory for Germany, forget about the American part. That alone may have been a motivating factor. Short of moving to a Champions League team in one of the big leagues this money is a big as it gets. Could speculate he'll be on a healthy wage as well.

23. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is actually pretty impressive if all of those numbers are accurate. I feel like he would be lower than that, but everyone is getting paid more now so it I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

Zinkoff repped this.
  24. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    a nice move for brooks... should set him up for an even larger move in a couple years should all go well.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.