John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What is Pope doing nowadays? I recall him supposedly turned down European contracts so he could stay in this country to help inner city kids. Is that what he has been doing? What a noble goal if true!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Some more info:

http://www.immerhertha.de/2017/04/25/hueftkranker-brooks-und-papa-langkamp/

Personnel problems are nothing new. It was only on this Tuesday that the next one came: John Brooks suffered a tear in the fiber of his hip muscles. How long Brooks will be out exactly, no one could say. Hertha has to do without the American at least in Bremen. Pal Dardai was naturally not amused:

"There will be a ten-day break. I already asked our fitness trainer today about the remedial exercises. We did not practice a lot of shooting, nor many long balls. And, according to Hegeler, Brooks has a tear on both sides [of the hip] and Plattenhardt has again trouble with a small muscle. That's not ideal. We must keep things in check to avoid doing too much or too little."

4. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this REALLY what happened in the qualies? I wasn't buying the "dehydration" bit. It looked like a leg/hip issue from the beginning.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he appeared like he was struggling to stay upright. He was not struggling with a muscle issue there. I immediately was worried about his knee, but his demeanor looked like he was dealing with a more global issue rather than limping on a bad wheel. He was likely just pretty ill at that point.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Pope is the conversation at this point

Sufjan Guzan and Winoman repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks had a rough one tonight. He was getting run around, jumped over and in between, and was lackadaisical on the ball; for which RB Leipzig punished him and Hertha ruthlessly. It wasn't quite the shambolic performance that we saw at Costa Rica, but it wasn't that far off. There may be a tendency here to go in the tank when things start to go south, before he can get them to go back north again. When he's good he's really good, but it's fair to classify him as inconsistent at this point. I think he was getting some flack for a stint earlier on in the season before a good run of form.

8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

Well he is coming back from injury right? For that reason I don't think it's fair to file this performance in any folder. If Brooks is inconsistent then what is Gonzo? Incompetent? What is Mike Bradley? Grossly incompetent?

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The evaluation of Brooks stands on its own. Don't need to hyper-protect him and throw others under the bus in the process. He has been up and down for club and country. Periods where he's the best player on the field and then the worst. Ale Moreno, not American, gives him flack for it. The announcers today, not American, were giving him the business. I think he got some criticism locally in Germany for a stretch earlier in the season. I think last year or the one before he was playing great then all of a sudden he was out of form and benched a while. It is what it is.

Incidentally, Gonzo is actually very consistent, at least as it pertains to his club play. It's much lower highs, but higher lows. He does win a ton of trophies. Whether they were in easier competitions is immaterial to the matter of his inconsistency.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    When JAB has a good day, he's truly excellent.

When he has a bad day, he does stink up the joint.

A fascinating player to follow. You could make money (or lose a lot) by betting on which JAB is going to show up.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    *Spoilers*

They didn't get the job done

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's been terrible. Partially at fault for goal 1 as he was beat for pace. And then on goal 2 he coughed the ball up to Brandt who then ran by him, and put the ball across to a runner for an easy goal.

Sam Hamwich, edcrocker and JRB92 repped this.
  14. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Pulled at half. Game to forget for him.

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #3290 Ger90, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    well Hertha went from Europa GS to Europa Qualifiers.

but I think if Dortmund wins the Cup than Hertha go to the GS.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JAB is the type of player we used to call "mercurial."

17. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014

18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like the move

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be happier if BVB bought him. They could really use an upgrade at CB.

Alexisonfire and RidiculousLichaj repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay away from Wolfsburg, JAB! They are a mess from top to bottom. They may have a star-studded lineup but they have majorly underperformed the last couple years. I am not sold on Jonker as a amanger but who knows maybe he can turn it around at Wolfsburg. Hopefully there will be more options for JAB.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if he goes there then from the Bundesliga, Puli would be the only US player that would be playing in Europe going into the WC season.

22. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible move

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Can anyone come up with some positives for a Wolfsburg move? I assume his wages would go up, but that's about all I've got.

24. dsm_lime

dsm_lime New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Wolfsburg has a better recent history and is probably a "bigger" club in a general sense, although it's not like they're Bayern/Dortmund.

25. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    He would get a change of scenery, which could be useful if the relationship between him and the Hertha technical staff, front office, and fan base is beginning to sour.