John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised, Brooks' value is probably pretty high right now and when he renegotiated his contract apparently he got a considerable bump. Hertha also have a nice stable of CB's in Stark and Langkamp. Lustenberger can play there as well. Therefore, Hertha may look to cash in soon.

Edit: According to that link, it appears they rejected a bid for him from Watford for 12m Pounds (14,9m USD)

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will prob go for something closer to 20m

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hope he stays in Germany for as long as possible. The money in England is, of course, better, but that also means he has a bad run of games, he'll be benched right away and they'll buy some new flavor of the month replacement.

Too much money ruins people and soccer clubs.

Also, the BuLi is a superior league. In England, several of his games will be against hoof-and-run teams from the bottom of the table.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They should. Right now, Chandler & Brooks are considered two of the best defenders in the second best league in the planet.

When have we ever had two such players at the same time?

On paper, our defense should be formidable, no?

FirstStar repped this.
  5. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that the release clause is 100% new information. When they originally got him to sign a new contract last year there was absolutely no mention of anything of that sort.

Eighteen Alpha and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Agreed. Hertha seems to be solidifying a place in the top 6 or so teams in the Bundesliga. If the alternative is a mid- to lower-level EPL team, that's surely a downgrade in terms of quality of play, even if it's a bump in salary. I'd much rather his agent work on getting Dortmund or Bayern to bite.

Eighteen Alpha and Zinkoff repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Stay where you are appreciated and looking strong.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PL and Brooks?

[​IMG]

I know just the place.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do have a need, Klopp is a fantastic coach and ownership is American.

10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matip and Brooks would be formidable, no doubt.

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I like the sentiment but stay the hell away from EPL. Even with Klopp there.

I think Americans should go to EPL for paydays only when they are fully established successes in other leagues. Yes, Brooks is arguably already that, but he is not so well known that "flopping" in England (and I hate how smugly English fans use this word) wouldn't ruin his career.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And Klopp may be out the door by summer for all we know.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a good thing going in Germany. There's absolutely no reason for him to move away unless it's for a better team within his league.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That would be part of the gameplan for a reasonably well-run club - which Hertha seem to have become these days, without anyone noticing. I'd imagine that was everyone'e understanding of the future for Brooks when they signed the new deal: stay on for another 12-18 months to work on his weaknesses while his value increases and a better quality EPL or maybe La Liga team comes calling.

There's not a great deal of upside for him going to a fighting-to-stay-out-of-the-lower-third club like Watford whose goal will surely be to sell him on again to the likes of Everton or another EL challenger. Makes a lot more sense to stay put and move when he's closer to being the finished article and the likes of Everton come calling themselves.

20 million was last season. He's worth more than 25 million right now IMO, and if he continues to improve at his current trajectory he could easily command 35 million next January. More if there's a rich club in desperate need of a CL-quality CB.

15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @The Irish Rover - EL challengers such as Everton? Was going to both congratulate you and take offense at your not-so-subtle dig, then I realized you were obviously referring not just to Liverpool, but ManU and Spurs, as well.

Still hurts, though. Bastard.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. If JAB were to head to England and not perform, he'd still have a home in the Bundesliga. He's been performing day in and out for several years now. Each year his play level rises. The press long ago took notice of him.

Now is the time to move and get that pay day/dominate the EPL. Does he have the notoriety of a Hummels or Boateng...no, but he doesn't need it. Nor will he ever achieve that at Hertha.

It's definitely time for him to shake something, regardless of whether that is to a Dortmund...or Liverpool. Hertha's aight, but I think everyone involved knows that he needs to head elsewhere if he's to make that next step.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #3219 Eighteen Alpha, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    I agree there is room for disagreement and that I am unduly biased against English leagues in general and the Premier League in particular. A Hummels, a Boateng, Sokratis, Alaba or many other can go to England, flop and still have the BL. If an American flops (even a Germamerican like JAB) it is "well what do expect from a yank?" "rubbish." Sure he can go back to BL, maybe at the same level or maybe lower, after he is benched indefinitely or shunted down to the reserves. Germans, Brazilians, Argies, Spaniards, and especially English: they are given the benefit of the doubt if they have a stretch of bad games. I don't see that with yanks.

I will provide the same disclaimer I do whenever I badmouth the EPL as a destinations for Americans:
    I've served on numerous occasions with Brits and most I would trust in a fox hole over a lot of Americans I have seen. I also have a great affinity for the English people and culture, having been carried lovingly out of pubs by my mates after an extended bout of darts, quiz night, or just watching footy during which the Old Speckled Hen or London Pride did flow mightily.

No offense Rover. Jamesons is still my go to when I really want to get serious!

bungadiri, Deeneaus and The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3220 The Irish Rover, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Perhaps i should have said that Everton are want-to-be/self-proclaimed CL challengers. Which, to be fair to the Toffees, is not much worse than either of us are. Everton, Liverpool and United are, erm . . . united (sorry, I couldn't help myself :thumbsdown:) in being in the category of teams that would get into the CL if they could only get it together.

Everton are handicapped by a lousy stadium (in terms of revenue-generation), but otherwise they're on the same level as Liverpool and united in terms of standing within the game. Of course, as a Liverpool fan, you would object to the term "standing": you'd go for "kneeling" instead. ;)

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    But I bet they cleaned up on that Conlan v Creed fight!

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's just turned 24 (on Jan 28th, to be precise). The time to be talking in these terms is when he's turned 27.

He's in a good place, as a starter on a Cl challenger in a top 3 league. His major weaknesses are occasional brain farts and lapses in concentration. Fix those, and he's the complete package. Until then, the pace of the English game will mercilessly expose those weaknesses, game-in and game-out.

Right now, he's on the radar of England's top teams and if he joins the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, United, etc he'll have top CBs beside and top DMs in front of him to cover for those kinds of mistakes, though such clubs probably won't sign him as long as they're part of his game. If he joins Watford or West Ham, there won't be those kinds of CBs and CMs around him and he could be badly exposed.

@Eighteen Alpha could give you chapter and verse about what happened to Steve Sidwell, a very promising midfielder who got a life-altering move to Chelsea, but didn't make the cut. He's got a hell of a lot more money than if he'd stayed at Reading and waited for a better fit as opposed to a better deal, but his career never recovered.

Ever seen a top young CB whose confidence is shot after being "found out"? It's not a pretty sight and they tend not to come back from that

Deeneaus and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1000

24. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    They might have a high standing within the context of English football. But for someone who grew up in a country like Germany and knows little about the history of English club football, Everton is clearly a step/or two steps below the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This sums up the PL perfectly