John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Villa could probably double his current wages easy. Even though Villa is trying to lower their wages, they still are one of the largest clubs in the EPL and can easy afford a player like Brooks.

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Hertha gets some stability, won't they try and challenge for Champions League spots again

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Champions league. They've lost their top striker and the other top teams of added power

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Didn't they pump a lot of money in the 2000s for Champions League and then got relegated?

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midtable Bundesliga vs midtable EPL - the main difference is probably the salary

6. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in not pay taxes and pay players off the books and that is Kaiserslautern.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can't imagine he gets paid much. Probably like 10 K euros a week, if that.

8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Brooks actually got a pretty nice contract after Bayern Munich came after him I think

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any specifics?

10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I don't sorry thus the 'I think'...Transfermarkt lists his market value at 3M pounds though which is probably a good ballpark figure

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2012 Brooks was offered a 3 year deal with Bayern Munich but instead forced a good 4 year deal from Hertha.

Made sense for playing time

ckl26 repped this.
  12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you characterize a move to Villa as lateral? Villa is traditionally a much bigger club, has a bigger budget, and until recently was regularly in the top seven in the EPL. Hertha was just recently in 2. BL. Just curious as to your reasoning.

13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your point, but Villa haven't finished above 15 in the three years, while Hertha finished 11th in the Bundesliga this year. He could make more money there I'm sure, and they could turn it around, but it still strikes me as a pretty lateral move at the moment.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of the quality on the squads, it's lateral. In terms of wages, it's definitely not lateral. Aston Villa probably have twice the wage budget of Hertha, if not more.

15. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Sports is reporting that 5 Premier League teams are interested in signing JAB.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...brooks-wanted-by-host-of-premier-league-clubs

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  16. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, which is why I said I'm sure he could make more money. I meant lateral move in sporting terms.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hertha was recently in the 2. BL" is way oversimplifying it. They finished fourth in the Bundesliga in 2008-09 and consistently draw 40,000-50,000 fans for home games.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but hertha is more dsyfunctional than brittany spears.

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    You could argue that Villa are a club on the rise and with a new owner coming in, who knows where Villa could end up. There is that uncertainty factor with Villa though. In a couple years we could be competing for Champs league again or still trying to survive. I honestly believe next season Villa will be a comfortable midtable club then with the new owner pushing in the top 10. Villa were just decimated by injuries this season which really hurt us. We were hovering 8-10th place for the first 10-12 games, but then Vlaar, Benteke, Agbonlahor and KEA got injured and we started slipping fast.

One thing is for certain, Brooks would definitely get minutes for Villa because Lambert does not rate Baker highly, he considers Clark more of a LB than centerback, Okore is inexperienced, and Vlaar is very injury prone.

SoccerKowboy and Winoman repped this.
  20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha had a run of good years in the mid-2000's, granted, but they've been relegated twice in the last five years.

In my opinion, fan base is relevant to size of a club when it results in revenue that is used to strengthen the team. Given that Villa has a much larger budget, I don't think Hertha's revenue from gate sales matters as much. Heck, Leeds have a huge fan base as well.

If you're talking purely from an opportunity standpoint for JAB to improve, probably would be lateral.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Villa have a much larger budget? I thought they were skimping a bit the past few years. Of course if Lerner sells to a really wealthy buyer, he might pump in a lot of cash.

EDIT: Where's @sidefootsitter with his (possibly made up) budget figures?

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was just thinking the same. They've definitely downsized while still having some larger than credible ambitions and just trying to escape being relegation fodder the past 3 years.

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Club is up for sale though. New owner, new budget. Any way I think Villa's budget is still larger than Hertha's right now.

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that our budget has grown significantly with the new investment group. We've already spent a good amount strengthening the squad this offseason.

And if it came down to it, there's no way I'd pick Birmingham over Berlin.

Deeneaus and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You could always get a cheap owner or a clueless one like Venky's