John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're already through, so I'm not surprised to see Brooks (with his injury history) getting a rest.

Winoman and justinkicks repped this.
  4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a lot of high numbers on the squad list.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Uly wasn't on the list. Hope to see him in the new year.

justinkicks repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Wow huge win for Wolfsburg....a late strike by Arnold gives them the 2-1 victory in stoppage time. Looks like this pops them up to 4th in the table. Brooks goes the full 90+

freisland repped this.
  8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Wolfsburg gets the winner in stoppage time to beat Gladbach 2-1. It was a pretty good, back-and-forth game. I thought Brooks was very solid throughout. He won some headers, intercepted a bunch of passes, and had a clean passing games, even if I didn't see him attempt as many long balls as usual. There were times when he looked like he was going to be too slow (Gladbach has some quick attackers), but he almost always made up for it with his reading of the game and long reach.

freisland repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I only half-watched this as I hung Xmas lights, but looked like Brooks had a great chance to be a hero on a late-ish corner - great header down, but unfortunately too central and the keeper blocked and did well to control any rebound.

The few sections I did hang out to watch were fun - looked a good game. Brooks was very composed. Wolfs looked like a team with some upside potential.

DHC1 and largegarlic repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis from the last two.

Brooks has been quite good over his last 3 starts. Seems like he is back to being the general of a very good defense. I have been screaming for them to get the ball to him on corners and as freisland pointed out... they finally did.... but while he hit it squarely and into the ground... alas, it went right at the keeper :-(

Weird to think that Brooks is one of the only USMNT players in top flight Europe left standing considering his history with injuries. Wolfsburg look good and are pretty much the only Bundesliga team I can currently look forward to watching.

Weston, Morales and Sargent all out right now. Watching Stephen just gets me depressed because it is like watching a guy trying to catch tennis balls shot out of a cannon due to his porous D. Who knows?... maybe Timmy Chandler will get another start?... he looked quite good after finally returning to the pitch.

freisland repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wolfsburg gets Malmo in the Europa League R32, with matches on February 20 and 27.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland and Winoman repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JAB vs. Gall. Let's hope Malmö's new coach gives Romain more chances.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another solid game from Brooks. Perhaps not as clean as the last game.... but a solid presence in the back who wins almost every header from the keeper and is a danger in the box. Had a couple of gaffs... but he actually got the ball back on a couple of them. Coach also sent him forward towards the end of the game again... which I find odd at times because he is the furthest player back for most of the game. At any rate, that was one of the best offensive games I have ever seen from Wolfsburg outside the final shots. I think they had almost 30 shots. Schalke looked poor on O and were lucky to get a random ball at their feet in the box during one of their corners. The young GK that had to step in for Nubel during his 4-game RC suspension looked like he would be the man of the match until he mishandled a ball to allow the tying goal. Pretty entertaining game.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Brooks is having an excellent game against Bayern, 0-0 in 2 half. When he is healthy brooks is fantastic!

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    that could’ve been a straight red - even if unintentional

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    By Arnold, not Brooks

Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    absolutely. Didn’t mean to imply that it was brooks.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Brooks has played a nearly perfect game. So far!

DHC1 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Don’t jinx him....

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Bayern score in 86th minute.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And other in 89th. Ugh

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Wolves gave Bayern a damn good game. It was 50-50 the whole way!

Dr.Phil and Winoman repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Brooks is always surprisingly composed on the ball for such a big guy - and has a really good long bomb. And so dangerous on corners - surprised he doesn't have more goals. Hope he stays healthy for many years more.

Winoman and Bruce S repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... he is a key part of a very good D. Really disappointed they couldn't hold out today... but BM always seems to win in the end. They even talked about "lucky" bayern in the game. IMO, even though there is some chance involved... I think it is just their skill shining thru... and I hate it. I literally disdain that team and I expect them to knock off my beloved Chelsea in the CL.... To make matters worse.. it will probably be the young phenom Davies that does it. Kind of hope Bayern send Richards away on loan somewhere as it would be painful to root for him on that team.

At any rate... back to Brooks... Stay healthy and keep putting up solid performances.