John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have more posts like these where people make good, concise and well-reasoned points that support different perspectives.

Nice one, fellas.

Monarch Bay Beachbum and Woodrow repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, beat me to it. That was my first thought as well.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays a lot of really well weighted balls that are played in a way that allows the receiver to make an effective first touch, as opposed to balls that most defenders play out of the back that are coming with no weight behind it or that of a mack truck that they are lucky to even settle at all.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and 1:10, 1:34

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm happy to see them together more, particularly when Miazga is in decent form. But, when they played together at Wembley, against an England team that I wouldn't describe as "tight-passing, small-but-quick," they got absolutely torn apart.

Mitigating circumstances and all that (temp manager, Miazga not playing for Nantes), but they looked terrible together in that game, and I tend to put a bigger weight on performances I saw in person.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's the irony, because of Long's quickness and ability to cover a lot of ground, he is not only the guy you want on ball 1 v 1, he's also the one you look to for sweeping up messes. But Brooks is an imposing stand-up defender, you just don't want him as the last line of defense, especially since he is injury prone. You've got to assume that Berhalter is looking at pairings that allow Brooks to stay mainly in the center, cleaning up crosses and supporting the midfield, while his partner does most of the running. It does beg the question, given the relative strength at CB, and thin pool at the wide positions, whether the Nats might go for a 3-back set-up on occasion?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Agree - on paper they should work together, but I've yet to see it in action. I'm kind of interested in Beerholder's CD selection. As a technically proficient, smart but not overly athletic CD I wonder how he will manage his pairing. Brooks/MM in a way is a modern version of Gooch/Beerholder - two CDs with decent passing skills (Beerholder better than Gooch) who were very strong in the air, but neither was the quickest kitty in the litter. Brooks and MM are better on the ball than Gooch - probably about = to Beerholder. But neither are quite as flat-out good at ball-winning as Gooch was. And all 4 of those guys are very slow on the turn (relatively speaking.)

All academic at this point, but I think it will be interesting to watch. Additional data points. Watching the all-touches above, I couldn't help but imagine Brooks hitting CP on the touch (Short left or long right) a few times with those passes, giving him some room to run. And having speedy FBs allow a bit of leeway in CD as well. I'm not as familiar with Long as some of the other CDs mentioned, but when Brooks is on, he is very good. Just wish he could turn faster.

(one quibble too: England was a pretty quick team up top, if not exactly traditional tika-taka.)

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores:

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Brooks with the header goal on a free kick. I think he's looked good generally (had a sweet meg and drew a foul in the 1st half). My only criticism is that he's going for the long diagonal hero ball a bit too often.

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    m vann and BostonRed repped this.
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that's a team tactical issue. He's not suddenly deciding to do that.

nycfc919 repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1-1. Great ball and finish from Bremen; Wolfsburg's right back completely fell asleep.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tedesco would be playing him as a striker for next game.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    When the trap don't.

appwrangler repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling Brooks is going to get a Woody from Kicker after the 6-nil thrashing today.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    When he's good, he's good. When he's bad... well, look at today. Geez.

Problem is, guy is a bit of a tronco. Put dribblers in front of him and it's game over.

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    getting a new coach next season.

Wolfsburg are doing well this season even with that recent trashing. Competing for Europe spot compare that to 2 seasons in a row where they were off fighting relegation playoffs....

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the 6th, I'm not sure one could fault him on goals 1 through 5. Bayern were just miles better and on their game. Floodgates opened. Brooks quit on the last though. He was in perfect position to defend the striker but just bagged it. Quality header though from the striker.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks had an early yellow, but is getting lots of the ball. He had an amazing diagonal, left-footed line drive ball right on the foot of his teammate. 23 minute right now.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another great diagonal ball from Brooks.

Great save by Burki to keep BVB at 0-0.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33 minute: Lots of pressure from BVB, but Brooks and Wolfsburg are hanging on.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guerreiro smokes Brooks on an initial dribble move, but Brooks recovers to clear the ball away. (35 minute)