John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I watched. He got robbed while playing the ball near his goal, didn't see the second attacker, which led to an immediate goal against. He also had a poor, sliced clearance that nearly caused disaster. I didn't see him being the worst player, but he did directly cause a goal against. Not a good game by any stretch.

Tom Collingsworth and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So the next game he's going to be good.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Play can be seen here early on. Not a good play but not sure id call it horrible. He probably should have expected the second guy as he was in front of him when the ball was played him. He took the ball nicely and evaded the first pressure but should have known their was high probabilty of being double teamed and should controlled it off his chest and cleared it.

5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    The video link is dead but, if I remember correctly, the guy who steals the ball in the end is actually the first guy JAB was covering, so when JAB saw a second player (that he evaded) he has to know that second guy is there. It was difficult, but when your entire job is to defend, and you know you are the last guy, you have just boot it clear. But, also, it was a tough situation and no teammates were helping him out. I like JAB's play and I think this is just one of those things that happen.

bsky22 repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Today JAB was solid. I skipped a bit of the game, but I saw no notable mistakes. He came inches from scoring a nice header on a set piece.

Tom Collingsworth and bsky22 repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Your memory is correct. The initial pressure was from the attacker being marked by the other central defender. I think we both came to the same conclusion.

Weird about the link as it was from Fox and assumed they have rights to publish on youtube... apparently it just cant be embedded. If you clink on the link it will take you to youtube.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #3759 freisland, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    It's Kinda crazy that absent CP's hammy this week could have seen the Bund starting Muricans on the #1, #3, #4, #6, #12 (I missed that Morales got the start) and #14 side and late game sub on #10 and #17 and not a keeper in sight. This would have had to be the highest we've had in a while (ever?) (Did I get everyone - missed Morales the first time.)

Winoman repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #3 Fabian = tie
    #4 Adams = win
    #6 Brooks = win
    #10 Sargent = tie
    #12 Morales = loss
    #14 McKennie = tie
    #17 Wood = loss

2 wins, 3 ties, 2 losses.

I don't know if we've had any other week with more guys playing in the Bundesliga, but with only two losses this could well be the most successful ever (9/21 = 43%).

If we expanded to Top 10 leagues, we'd have to add Horvath and another win.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brooks with an assist to make it 3-0 vs Gladbach.
    https://streamja.com/R7pk

lol at the Gladbach defense, they look like they already gave up.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JAB had one of his good games. When he's good, he's quite good.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched on Univision. Brooks and Wolfsburg looked good. Nice win on the road. 3-0

16. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    JAB got beaten cleanly on the left edge of the box 1v1 early, lucky it wasn't a goal. But that is not his strength. Later he helped save what seemed impossible to not be a goal when he slid through and forced the shot high and it was headed off the line.

Deeneaus repped this.
  17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The TSS guys really big upped our guy, saying he looked every bit the part of the top CB choice in the US pool.

I don’t think there was much doubt about that, though. For all of his flaws, he’s still a clear level or two above everyone else competing for one of the USNT spots in defense. There aren’t just a ton of $20-odd million CBs in the world. It’s nice we have one, especially since the tactics should allow for some line-splitting balls from defenders.

LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, yes, he has very good games. Just never pair him with another Mack truck.

Gorky repped this.
  20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid is a solid passer. We need to array our defense around him in a way that maximizes his skill set, which ain't 1 v 1 defending. He can marshall his line, clear balls in the air, make great passes out of the back, and has good positioning. He needs ball winners around him. But a pretty solid part of a back four.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay so which usmnt cb is the best 1 on 1 ...fastest etc and covers for the gaps in brooks' game?

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Long. CCV isn't quick enough, Parker is too prone to dumb errors, Zimmerman is a little clunky, Miazga's defensive game is too similar to Brooks, EPB's skill level is a complete mystery, and the other options aren't good enough.

Long reads the game well and is quick on the turn because of his midfield background, and he's both quick and fast. He has flaws, but he's the best compliment to Brooks.

23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ttrevett and Winoman repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    IBrooks seems to need to become more consistent (as does MM) but to me they pair up well on paper. Both are comfortable in the "holding CD" system. Either, while not super speedy, is athletic enough to play a "sweeper/CB" role when the other (mostly Brooks) gets forward. Either one can thread a decent pass... And they are both beasts in the air. We need to become more lethal on set pieces.

I'm not saying the others shouldn't be in the mix, I'm just not convinced Brooks and MM (if both smooth out their games) couldn't be a pretty decent pairing. But I do think against tight-passing, small-but-quick teams they may not be ideal.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Richards.

eliwood repped this.