Jogging stroller recommendation

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Ringo, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're gonna be in the market for one of these. Does anybody have any experience/advice they want to share?

Are there features we should look for? What's a decent one gonna cost? I don't want a cheap one, I want something sturdy that will last -- but that doesn't mean I want to go broke, either.

Any brands people have liked/disliked?

Thanks in advance!
    :)

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, you'll still be able to use it when the kid's much larger... VERY sturdy!

[​IMG]

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got the BOB Revolution when it was on sale at REI a few months back. It's acceptable. But we didn't do a lot of comparison shopping before hand.

I found that most of the jogging strollers at Babies R Us seemed cheap (both price and quality), and the ones at REI were much more expensive but seemed to be much higher quality, so we went with one of the ones from REI as soon as it went on sale.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm a 9+ year parttimer at REI.

Don't skimp on a jogging stroller to save some money. It's your damn kid!

The BOB line of strollers are out biggest sellers. We also carry Chariot which sells very well also.

When looking for a jogging stroller, make sure it has a hand brake on the handle that is easy to use. Also make sure there is a harness on the seat to secure your child safely. Some strollers will have quick release wheels so that it makes it easier to transport around. The bigger the wheel, the more smoother it will feel for the kid.

Some strollers can be converted so that they can be used behind a bike, but most of the times you will have to buy a seperate kit for that.

Most strollers come with some type of covering over the top, while some are much more weather proof and have a cover that encomposses the whole area where your child is sitting.

If you buy anything from REI and you are a member, you pretty much have a lifetime guarantee. So let's say five years from now you don't like it for some odd reason, return it.

And please....do go running with your kid. Ingrain them with the concept of fitness. We don't need any more fatasses running around this world.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    And like running shoes....please feel free to put in your kid and head outside to test out how you like the feel of the stroller when you are walking/running with it.

Most real good running parents will be able to run while only using one hand to handle the stroller.

Here in Boise, since this summer I believe, there is a workout group specifically aimed at parents that want to get in a workout, but still have their kid in the stroller. I think they do some circuit workout in a local park. You should look into those in your city.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One bit of advice that has nothing to do with brand: if you go the two child route with the stroller, consider pilot-bombadier style rather than pilot-copilot. We went the latter route and found that if we ended up anywhere (at that time, we often trekked to campus as I was in graduate school) only to find that we couldn't fit through any doorways (even wide ones). The double wides in the jogging models tend to be significanlty wider than the non-jog models.

But I like the wheelbarrow idea, too (unfortunately, I popped a tire each of the last two summers whipping around the yard with my now larger kids in them! :) )

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some very good advice. I hadn't thought of REI, but I'll definitely check that out.
    Those are pretty pricey .... how often does REI put stuff like this on sale? I'd rather spend the extra money and buy one stroller than get a cheap one that I'll have to replace.

Thanks again!

:)

8. Lestorke

Lestorke New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Hmmm, Baby Jogger ... love it.:)

9. wendy pearl

wendy pearl New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    I have a Bob Stroller Stride stroller and wouldn't trade it for the world!!!! We ended up getting rid of 5 other strollers
    because it was the only one we chose to use. Comfortable for baby and for mommy and daddy as well. Well worth every penny.

10. Lestorke

Lestorke New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Baby Jogger comes with quick folding system, longer seat - enabling relatively taller or bigger toddler to fit in comfortably - retractable canopy, and patented universal accessory mounting bracket which benefits to accommodate several car seat adapters. It's affordable without necessarily cheap. You might want to click on: http://jogging-stroller-reviews.net/baby-jogger-fit-reviews/ for further details and reviews about this BJ FIT.:)