Joey Worthen?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Mar 16, 2005.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any info on SLC-native Joey Worthen?

After great seasons with the Richmond Kickers, a scab appearance at the US Nats training camp during the lockout, and praise from the SLC offic, I was hoping to hear more. I haven't heard his name of seen him mentioned on training camp reports or pre-season rosters. What's going on? If he's not on the full squad, does any one know if he's getting a gig with the developmental squad?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately RSL could not reach an agreement with Richmond for Joey's services.
    Maybe next year.

3. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like David Testo, now with the Crew, needed two seasons to make the jump too. Hopefully, the same happens with Joey. The A-League has to be hard-core and protect their investments, but it's inevitable that the best US players should play in the best US league - that is, until they go to Europe :)

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    DC United had no problem getting Clyde Simms this offseason from Richmond. Until I see a public statement from officials otherwise I think this had more to do with RSL not wanting to use a spot on the 18-man roster on Worthen. Who that's on it would he have beat out? Otherwise it may be that Worthen himself saw a better finanancial opportunity in Richmond. I doubt the club held this up.

Worthen didn't attend preseason camp after being listed
    http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/n...pplementing.A.Real.Roster-853001.shtml?page=2

Given that O'Brien came into camp, I don't think RSL was opposed to the idea of a transfer free. By now this is all not too important but I don't think it's fair to say Richmond wasn't willing to come to terms.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Swed I asked Trey Fitz-Gerald of RSL myself at the Bradenton preseason about Joey. He told me that the Kickers didn't want to lose Worthen even though RSL wanted him. I assume it had something to do with RSL asking for him without any real benefit to the Kickers. Also, RSL probably only offered Joey about what he was making with the Kickers to begin with.

But end result was that RSL wanted Worthen, but the Kickers said no.

6. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was highly touted coming out of college (USC), and I saw him play a few games in the period just after Mathis and Wolff had left. Early on, he was called into some US Nats (U-20, if I remember correctly) training camps, was named a Hermann finalist, but wasn't signed to any MLS team. A small but strong and scrappy striker (I distinctly remember him being a physical presence on the field) then, he has since moved into midfield for Richmond. Hope that this guy blossoms and gets another chance in MLS.

7. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aticle about Joey resigning with kickers:
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3128712

No mention was made of the contract length. If he's still playing well, it'd be great to see him join RSL next year. The kickers lost Testo last year to the Crew and are losing Simms this year to DC. Maybe they have a limit of one marque player loss per year, and next year it will be Worthen's turn.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI
    The correct term is "re-signing", not "resigning". Unless Joey is retiring from the Kickers.
    Just wanted you to know. :)

9. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the clarifiacation

10. cooldude32

cooldude32 Member

Sep 13, 2004
    SLC
    Just curious...When does the Richmond Kickers season start because he is still in Utah.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    and techincally is sounds like he was on a multi-year contract that carries over from last year, so that press release doesn't say he "re-signed" just mentions he's one of a few that were already under contract

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004