Jimmy Conrad [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by banbaseball, Jul 18, 2009.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Kindly, please put any updates about our man from Kansas. He looked seriously hurt after that head ball. There was no audio during the game since we watched it at a bar. So I have no idea if he's ok or not.

2. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Conrad {R}

A few points/questions about Jimmy Conrad:

1. Does anyone know his status? That was an incredibly hard knock he suffered in the first half against Panama. He had the look of a lobotomy patient right afterward. I had the sense that he might have suffered a concussion, but I hope I'm wrong.

2. If he's out, does that mean Goodson is a lock to pair with Marshall in central defense? I thought Clarence was adequate at best, and possibly partially at fault for the Panamanian goal. Is there anyone else we could call in?

3. If he's out for the next game it's a real loss. Given the level of guys available to us, he's important both in terms of skill and leadership and will be missed. Here's hoping he's doing all right.

3. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concussion diagnosed, taken to hospital for precautionary eval (more than likely head CT). Missed part of it later in the match, but I think announcers said there was good news from the hospital.

4. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They mentioned later on in the game that they took him to the hospital and that he was concussed but he was going to be okay. That's the latest I've heard.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Looked like a hockey player after a monster Scott Stevens-style hit. Hopefully he's alright.

6. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be fine, but he won't play any more in the Gold Cup.

7. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, mostly precautionary. His face was jacked up, but the consussion probably wasn't too serious. He would be key to the US's attempt to defend their Gold Cup crown.

8. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jimmy Conrad {R}

I'd assume at the least that was a mild concussion. He looked beyond lost crawling around on the field. And with brain injuries, you don't take chances.

I'm sure he'll want to be out there though, since he might not see national team duty again. I'd be surprised if the medical staff let's him back out though.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    with a concussion he won't be the key. he can't play.

10. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope that he's okay. He looked really dazed. So dazed that he didn't even realize he was dazed.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the "would" part of the statement. If I thought he was going to play, I would have said that he "will" be a key. Darn confusing English.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he's okay. While I don't rate him high in the USMNT I highly respect any and all players that wear our crest...even if just for a few minutes...

Hoping his recovery is speedy and that he can serve the country in glorious fashion in the future...

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It was scary watching that. I wonder how long the doctors will sit him. My guess is probably a few weeks, have him reexamined, etc.

14. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Conrad is a very good defender with exceptional leadership qualities. While BB doesn't seem to rate him, I believe he is firmly among the top 5 defenders in the US pool.

15. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Agreed on the ability, but he needs an extra step at this level

16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANY concussion is serious. Conrad looked dazed and unable to walk under his own power when he was leaving the stadium. If he has had previous concussions, the effects of the current one will be magnified. Wouldn't surprise me if he is out for the rest of the year, and quite possibly, that his career is over.

17. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The very general rule for returning after a concussion is 1-2 weeks after symptoms resolve. I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to a month before he's back in a match.

18. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what I'm afraid of. I would not be surprised given the impact of Torres's head-ram into Conrad's temple, that he was scanned and not found to have an epidural, or we would have heard about it. So far so good.
    If he plays again he will wear headgear.

Now, why is there no outcry about Archundia and his refereeing if you can call it that? Our favorite Mexican referee allowed numerous fouls like the one that led to Conrad's heinous concussion. FIFA should replay this match and act accordingly. Shit.

19. introspect

introspect Member

Jul 27, 2007

I fear that is a highly likely:(

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And this, ladies and gentleman, is why the players held out to get more compensation from the USSF for playing for the national team.

Yeah, it's an honor and they play "for the shirt." But they also risk their livelihood everytime they take the field to represent "the shirt."

21. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    For those arguing Conrad's level of play:

If Bocanegra is considered a LB next summer and if Bob sticks with Gooch and DeMerit in the middle, then who are your two bench options? Califf, Marshall and Conrad are the top choices. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Conrade makes the 2010 team.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And it's why the refs need to start doing a better job of protecting the players and not let reckless play like that go on. Just because the players aren't European millionaire superstars doesn't mean they should risk their careers when they play teams like Panama.

23. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Jimmy's Twitter:

Post-Concussion Update: Why can't I get the song "Ring My Bell" out of head? Also, a BIG thanks to all the well-wishers! Appreciate the loveabout 2 hours ago from mobile web

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gotta love his sense of humor.

Once I went for a header against a guy quite a bit bigger than me. I woke up four hours later, in the clinic. Worst thing was that, according to the people around me, I didn't pass out, in fact I walked out of the field with some help and sat there for like 15 minutes until I got my lights out. Then they took me to the doctor. I didn't remember a thing.

Man, that was freaky. I can imagine Jimmy is all spaced out right now. But that he can write and his sense of humor is intact is a good sign.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I wonder if he twittered before the concussion or if it's a side effect...