Jill Ellis is out. Who's coming in? New GM, New Coach

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Jul 30, 2019.

1. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'd be delighted with him-- but I think I'd cast the vote I don't have for Harvey, because I'd give the edge to a woman.

But I'll reiterate what I have posted before-- the thing about coaching searches is it is way too easy to get hung up on what candidates have already done; whereas you are actually trying to detect what they are about to do.

By that standard Ellis was a brilliant hire, and any misgivings I had were failures of perspective/vantage point. Markgraf may choose someone we just don't get at all-- and it may turn out to be a great choice...

3. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Lets hope so Taos....

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Well he sounds good BUT.....when I read that Rapinoe plays for him..... Im not so sure. I want somebody with NO ties to current players. This will insure that ALL players must win their positions every game. Take a look at the disaster that is the mens team. We often start 3 players from the coaches MLS team while players in Europe that play in higher leagues have trouble even getting looks. We do not want that for the women's team and the easiest way to prevent is to go outside the system for a coach

Also we are getting a bit old and we must start a large youth movement. We all know the names of ones that should not be a large part of our plans going forward. We need to start developing the next generation and I think Ellis knows it but doesnt want to be the one to tell longtime players that its over for them on the Nats.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want someone who doesn't know the American game at all? Any one in the American game (and even many international coaches as well) who is also qualified for the job will have ties to at least one player. The woso world is a small world.

And I'm pretty sure that people made similar complaints under Klinsmann when he was calling in European based players over MLS players. Everyone has bias.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    There is only one game and we are playing on the fringe of it. This is why many countries are now catching up and can challenge. We are still basically playing cross and pray under Ellis and maybe need to adapt what were doing. We simply have better athletes and that's been carrying us for years.
    Yes they do, but there has to be a mix. We need to field the best players, where ever they are playing and let them play their natural positions. I am afraid GB will not start exploring with the mix until he's in trouble with qualifying and I know he is not dressing all the best players. I do not want to see the women's team slip and slide in the Olympics due to some coaches "bias." I hope they made a better choice then the Men's side did

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Vlatko Andonovski would absolutely be the best choice for Head Coach of USWNT.

First of all he played the game himself at the highest level.
    Has won Championships on both the men and women's side as a Coach.
    The players LOVE him.
    Great tactician.
    Very nice person.
    Knows American soccer and feeder systems.
    etc., etc.

Mills and Namdynamo repped this.
  9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I think it will be either him or Harvey. He says he wants the job, and I haven't heard whether Harvey is interested. I think USSF would prefer to hire a woman--didn't Margraf say as much recently?-- but outside of Harvey I think the number of viable female candidates is tiny. Harvey has national team coaching experience in England and the U.S. (briefly), which Andonovski doesn't have, but I think he's been somewhat more successful. Outside of these two I'm not sure who else could be seriously considered unless they go with a coach within the USSF now--someone who's coached U.S. youth NT's.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay let me just ask you a few questions regarding your campaign for him,

1. You stated he played at the highest level, no offense but the Macedonian football league was "the highest level"?

2. Has won championships for both men's and women's side. True, but for the mens side, you failed to mention it was for some indoor soccer league.

3. The players love him. I'm sure you have inside information on this.

4. Great tactician. No argument there.

5. Very nice person. Not sure how this qualifies someone as a Nat'l team coach or what "very nice person" even means in the context of managing a team.

6. Knows American soccer and feeder systems. No argument there.

7. Etc. etc. Okay......

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, Vlatko Andonovski has just beaten Lauren Harvey in a key-game in NWSL that could have given his team, Seattle Reign, the last play-off spot over Utah Royal, Harvey's team.

Can this result influence the choice of USWNT's coach? (Of course not, the decision has probably been already made, although not yet made public, but I found funny that yesterday's match could be seen as a direct clash between candidates for NT's coaching duties :D).

Mills, Namdynamo, MRAD12 and 2 others repped this.
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought the same thing.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. The highest level, OK, he didn't play for Germany or France or Brazil but was a very good pro player. I've seen him play. He was very good.

2. It wasn't just some indoor league. It was MISL, which was the only pro league for a long time in the US before MLS. Had many great players in it.

3. Yes, I have talked to players and coaches. He is known to be a player's coach.

5. Nice person. I have talked to him on several occasions, not long but enough to know he is a nice person.

Can I assume you want Laura Harvey? You want a woman as coach no matter what?

I don't like Laura Harvey coaching at all. She has won NOTHING. Vlatko beats her consistently. There is a fake persona/coaching mindset about Harvey and it gets exposed every year. In other words people think she is better than she really is.

I really hope USSF doesn't hire Laura Harvey. It will be a mistake, IMO.

Mills and Namdynamo repped this.
  14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    You don't play pro for a country. You play that for clubs, and the highest level in Male Soccer are the top tier leagues in England, Spain, Italy, Germnay and France one may perhaps add up to ten more more that are close enough to count if one want to be less strict in the interpetation but the Macedonian top tier is not among them.

15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a mistake to hire Laura Harvey? Who in the world besides you has ever uttered those words, especially after who we've had as our Nat'l team coaches in the past. Look, I'd take either Harvey or Andonovski but you were pitching him like he was the second coming so I had to investigate further.

Yes honestly, having a female as our coach bodes well for the USWNT that are pushing for women's rights. Hiring a man won't shut off the issue of equal rights but it will allow criticism for USWNT's harshest critics. I can imagine headlines like

"Oh, if they are so interested in women's rights, why did they hire a male?"

It might make the players look like hypocrites or something. Just bad optics all around. Hire a qualified female like Harvey, there are lots of exceptional female coaches out there and they don't get an opportunity to coach men's soccer(YET) like the qualified males do, so allow the best females an opportunity to manage the greatest women's teams in the world.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At the highest level, I meant he played professional, and he was good at it.

I know former Yugoslavia soccer very well.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #217 MRAD12, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Why not have the best coach available? Why not have the best coach from your country's professional league? Why does hiring a Head Coach have to have political connotations?

Laura Harvey is NOT the best coach available in this country, in my opinion.

DoyleG, Mills, Mojo Jambo and 2 others repped this.
  18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not worth arguing with because you have nowhere near the amount of academic scholarship as I have on gender studies. So you want to come out on top and say I'm wrong, because you whine.. "waaaa waaaa male coaches need jobs too, they struggle soooo sooo much, they have little to no opportunities...female coaches have equal opportunities as men, the whole inequality stuff is just a myth, Donald Trump told me so in one of his most magnificent speeches in the 21st century last MAGA rally" Then fine. Strut your tail-feathers dude and say whatever the hell you want to say about female coaches. I didn't say Laura Harvey was the single best female coach in the entire country, I said she is fully qualified to coach the USWNT and has an excellent record. I have nothing against Andonovski, and if he got the job, then I would be okay with that. But, he has many other opportunities than many exceptional female coaches not because he's a better manager, but because he's also a white male. You want to call that a myth or some stupid SJW BS, then fine. Call it that way. I can't ignore those issues though, I have studied them for many years and been in school for many years discussing and presenting them. So I'm done arguing with someone that isn't even on my level enough to discuss this. Bye.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Meanwhile, some of us white male SJWs like the idea of a woman coach better because until we get a bit farther down the line and women are being hired to coach men almost as often as men to coach women, there's a certain argument to be made that the woman is likely to be the better coach just because it was harder to get to this point.

And it looks better.

And because "the best coach available" should be defined not by what they have done in the past, but by what they are about to do.

I have no objection to this man at all-- I like the idea. But I like the idea of Harvey even better, and I like the idea of someone I cannot name and know very little about, but is in the future Vince Lombardi/Tom Landry/ Red Auerbach/ Scotty Bowman/ George Stallings/Casey Stengel class even better.

Especially if she has big ovaries.

FanOfFutbol and McSkillz repped this.
  20. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    What’s Klinsmann doing ?

Just kidding.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All MRAD said is he thinks Vlatko is a better coach than Laura, and he thinks Laura is overrated. Knowing him as I do, I don't think that was a political statement. It's just his opinion based on his observations. So, I think the above attack on him is unfair. (He is not one of those posters who sometimes seem to want to attack all women coaches. He's simply an avid fan with soccer knowledge -- who sometimes gets a little emotional and over the top about the teams and people he's a fan of.)

There is a really good argument that the coach should be a female, and it's been made above. But, it would be made better without the personalized attack. -- Not everyone who disagrees is the enemy.:geek:

DoyleG, Namdynamo, Mills and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    “I think one of the best things about him [Vlatko A.] is his tactical flexibility and understanding of the game,” Reign FC and USWNT star Megan Rapinoe said.
    “He really is not just trying to play just one specific style and live or die by that. He wants to win games and be successful so he’s really good as assessing the team and who’s available and then putting a game plan together for the team to be successful against the other team.”

MRAD12 repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an only somewhat veiled dig towards Harvey who I and some others see as too attached to her preferred system. Its the exact reason I prefer Vlatko over Harvey while I see both as great coaches who are beloved by their players. While I frankly would prefer a woman over a man, I have an even stronger preference for a coach who is better suited for the US national team where the coach often has more control over changing a formation and system than significantly changing the roster. For that reason, Vlatko is a better fit, imo.

Namdynamo, taosjohn and Mills repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #224 MRAD12, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Didn't respond yesterday as I went to the Notre Dame vs. Pitt game in South Bend, IN. This was Randy Waldrum's return to the place he won two NCAA National Championships.
    This was my first ND game to watch this year and it reminded me of how many years I have been an avid supporter of the women's game going all the way back to 1995 watching Kate Sobrero (now Markgraf) and Shannon Boxx win the 1995 NCAA Championship at ND. I don't have time anymore and also mainly supporting the Red Stars but I used to go to every Notre Dame women's home game and many away games for many years.

So where were we? Oh yes, please chill with the anger issues when someone disagrees with you or has another view point or just wants a conversion.
    First of all you know nothing about me, my education level, soccer involvement/experience, nationality, color, etc. You only know I'm male. So instead of putting across a sound argument it's easier for you to personally attack the other arguing party.

I'm not a fan of Laura Harvey as a coach, and it has nothing with her being a woman. I am a fan of Vlatko Andonovski as a coach and it has nothing to do with him being a man.

I started with some bullet points of why I like Vlatko and you challanged me on those, I responded with reasons for my bullet points, you went off on a rage about gender equality. I did ask you whether you prefer to have a women coach and you went off on me telling me on not on your level. WTF? That's not a discussion.

A comparison for me between Harvey and Andonovski has nothing to do with gender, but soccer knowledge and coaching abilities. That's just the way I see it.

Vlatko was beating Harvey on a regular basis when he coached FCKC and she coached Seattle. They practically switched teams a couple of years ago. Vlatko took over Seattle and she took over what used to be FCKC in Utah and is beating her again. With her former players. In my opinion, Vlatko is the real deal and Harvey is a fraud. That's how I see it and it has nothing to do with gender.

No need to go into a gender equality rampage or personal attack. Come up with a counter-point to sway my opinion of why Harvey will be a better selection for the USWNT than Andonovski.

DoyleG and Namdynamo repped this.
  25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Having said all that, she may come into Chicago tomorrow night and make me eat my words. :)

Utah Royals at Chicago Red Stars, tomorrow 7:00 pm