Jill Ellis is out. Who's coming in? New GM, New Coach

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Jul 30, 2019.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Would anyone like to guess the timing of these two hires?

GM (Kate Markgraf) to assume her role ... September 1, October 1, Novemeber 1 ...

Our new coach, __________ _______________, to assume her duties immediately, that is on September 1, October 1, November 1 ...

What's the hold up? Someone upstream called Ellis' decision to step down now (and not after the 2020 Olympics) as predictable. That possibility was certainly foreseeable.

I'm sure the wheels are turning, but why so slowly?

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Typical USSF. The men's side was ridiculously slow as well.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "Kate Markgraf will be announced Monday as the first general manager in the history of the World Cup champion United States women’s national team, multiple sources with knowledge of the hire told Yahoo Sports."

[​IMG]

"One of Markgraf’s first orders of business will be to find a successor for U.S. coach Jill Ellis, who stepped down after becoming just the second manager in soccer history, men’s or women’s, to win two World Cup titles when the U.S. defeated the Netherlands last month to repeat as champions.

“Who wouldn’t be interested in that position?” Markgraf, a mother of twins, responded when asked about the GM job last week by ESPN’s Sebastian Salazar."

Namdynamo, sitruc, lil_one and 2 others repped this.
  4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it will work out better than the guys the Men's team hired off the TV set...

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe, one of the reasons Jill Ellis quit was because she did not want to work for a GM. Maybe she wanted full control of the team and with a GM that won't happen anymore.

On that note, how many established Coaches are going to want this job knowing they have a GM to answer to and may not have full control over player personnel, etc?

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The search for a new coach must be well along, even if we don't hear the results for a while yet - maybe at the end of the Victory Tour.

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    do they answer to the GM ?

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a description of the General Manager position. It's primarily about the General Manager for the men's side, which was the first thing to take care of since at that time the men's coaching position was vacant, but it also applies to the women's side. To me, the role sounds quite undefined and, if the GM's power is at the maximum of what's described, I don't see anything in Markgraf's background that indicates she's qualified. But, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. It may be that her primary function will be fending off player complaints about the coach. Based on what I'm reading in Caitlin Murray's new book, The National Team: The Inside Story of the Women Who Changed Soccer (Abrams Press 2019), revolts against coaches by some players has been a pretty regular occurrence throughout the history of the Women's National Team. I'm guessing that's true of the Men's team too, but that's purely a guess.

By the way, I highly recommend Murray's book, it has lots of detailed information I haven't seen before.

The Job Description

Above all else, the MNT General Manager will be tasked with overseeing the process to hire a new head coach, which will culminate in a recommendation to the Board of Directors, who will again have to approve any new hire.

Once a new MNT head coach is in place, that person and their coaching staff will report directly to the GM, who will in turn report directly to Flynn [CEO of the USSF]. The same structure will be in place for WNT head coach Jill Ellis once that program’s General Manager is hired. Additionally, the General Managers on both sides will also have the authority to fire their respective head coaches and staff.

While both roles will be primarily focused on their respective senior teams, Mooney indicated working with the Youth National Teams will also be a component of the role.

“Having integration and alignment will be critical,” Mooney said. “Obviously there are different demands at the level with the senior teams, but having both the GMs be part of our internal think tank on the technical side with Nico [Romeijn] is certainly what we are envisioning at this moment. So, they'll certainly be an influence, but less so on the day-to-day.

It was made clear that the roles are focused and neither will be seen as Technical Directors. Youth National Team Technical Directors Tab Ramos and April Heinrichs will continue to oversee the process of evaluation and hiring of YNT head coaches.

Ultimately, the new GMs and their respective head coaches will work closely, but it will be on the GM to manage things like the overall player pool, environment, scouting and other big-picture aspects of their programs – a process that Mooney said has been taking place in other aspects of the Federation.

“They can be more of a strategist, more of a thinker, more of a leader and manager of a framework and have a system,” Mooney said. “This falls in line with that approach that we've adopted in many other areas on the soccer side.”​

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Is there any such thing as an "established coach" who isn't already working with a GM or an AD? Generally speaking the job of coach is made easier by a GM, not harder.

lil_one, jnielsen and JanBalk repped this.
  10. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sounds to me as if it’s more of a role to keep the players in check. No more of this, players vs the coach..and ultimately the players making decisions. I’m typically not one to be an advocate of adding more cooks to the kitchen, but in this instance, I think it’s necessary. How well she actually performs at the job, who knows...The benefit for her is that she doesn’t have anyone to be compared to.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Of course it seems that way to you.

When the only thing you see is a nail, the only tool that is useful is...

12. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems that way? Lol. It’s absolutely the reason why! Of course there are peripheral reasons other than this, but let’s be real here...

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Aren't you a bit out of practice for that?

blissett and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both GM roles are to immunize the higher ups from bad results.

That way the future Gulati's of this world don't get fired when we don't qualify for a World Cup!

So, who is the first journalist to ask if Kate is getting paid the same as Ernie was?;)

Sawedoff, jnielsen, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So who will be the new coach?

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    upload_2019-9-16_18-33-4.png

jnielsen and Mojo Jambo repped this.
  18. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't blame any coach for saying no thanks right now. Who on earth would want to follow a coach who won 2 WC without a single loss in either tournament?

Mills repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor on one of the recent broadcasts was that the frontrunner is Vlatko.

Whoever it is, the new coach will likely have Sweden for the first game, with the caveat that I guess the new coach might not be hired until after the November games, and there will have an interim. Regardless, its right into the deep end.

Namdynamo repped this.
  21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be the deep end but the USWNT is the equivalent of SEAL Team Six.

22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I heard the team want a male coach.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why? Except it is said for it to be easier for females to fool males but that has not been my experience in coaching. Of course it does seem to be true in other areas. :ROFLMAO:;):devilish::unsure:

24. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Dunno FoF..
    That’s what I read on The Athletic.