Jesse Marsch out at Leeds, rumored for Southampton job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by truefan420, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Mindful of Bradley and Wagner's recent experiences, I still think this has to be the biggest club an American has ever coached at.

One that reached the Europa League semi-finals last year, with a pretty good shot of playing in the Champions League group stages next year.

LouisianaViking07/09, Marko72 and TOAzer repped this.
  3. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Good for him. We need it as it is becoming more and more apparent that not only do our players need to train with the best overseas, so do our coaches.

adam tash, USSoccerNova, Guinho and 3 others repped this.
  4. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always liked Marsch. Glad to see him gets his shot

Marko72, TOAzer and adam tash repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Boring league, but it's a solid opportunity. He just has to win the league by March to keep his job by April and all is fine. If he can somehow guide them to a CL knockout round, he'd be a HIT.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they locked up UCL next year?

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're right. They have the play-off match

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #7 KALM, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Here's what a BBC article from today says:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48218727

On the other hand, some other sources I've seen seem to suggest that as long as Tottenham manage to hold onto 4th place in the Premier League and don't blow an 8 goal differential advantage this weekend, RB Salzburg will go straight into the group stages regardless.

skim172 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    So there's an earlier version of that same BBC article (written by the same author). And they basically seem to contradict.

The winning team of UCL and Europa automatically get a place in the next year's UCL group stage - and if they've already qualified for a place in the group stage via their league position, then their auto-berth will go to the next team in their league who has to go into the UCL playoffs.England doesn't have any playoff spots, so the berth then goes another playoff team in the next highest-ranked league.

That means either (1) the top playoff team in the highest-ranked league with playoff spaces (the 3rd-place team in 5th-ranked French Ligue 1), or (2) the champion of the highest-ranked league that doesn't auto-qualify for the group stage (11th-ranked Austrian Bundesliga).

However, the two articles contradict each other over which final (UCL or UEL) affects which of those two teams. In other words, Liverpool/Spurs winning Champions League and Chelsea winning Europa League will advance RB Salzburg and the 3rd team in France (probably Lyon) - but it's not clear which result will advance which team.

So, I guess I'm rooting for Chelsea, just to be safe.

Come On, You Pensioners!! (I think that's right) :unsure:

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I love that the guy who was the definition of an MLS lifer has gone on to do some of the most interesting frontiers in American soccer.

Nothing will ever top him giving Beckham as "welcome to the league" kick to the stomach while only receiving a yellow, but managing in the Champions League will easily come a close second.

Marko72, CyphaPSU, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Got a link to that?

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jesse Marsch named one of the top 20 coaches of the decade by the IFFHS (not a pro-US voting body).
    A reminder that not only our player pool is building; but our coaching fraternity is too.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    of 2020 maybe, but of recent decade?

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm sure there's a formula.

But he managed an expansion Impact to 11th out of 19 MLS teams. He had four years in NY; win the Shield twice, finished 1st in his conference a third time.

Went to Salzburg and while it was bumpy, won the league and did well in UCL.

From an anti-playoffs perspective, he's won 3 league titles in 6 years of head coaching. And he's never had a bad year.

SamsArmySam and Marko72 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That might be a top 30 manager. I'd like to see the reasoning from those experts.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    To be clear, I have no good idea to rate managers. I mean, personnel is so important and is so inequitably distributed in many leagues, the best managers may not be the winningest. And even more likely, the best manager for a talented team may not be the best manager for an untalented one.

Marsch is good. No idea how you actually rank them.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they are using some advanced metrics or opinions of respected experts I have no idea how a manager of the biggest Austrian team gets ranked that high no matter how well he does in a couple of years there. Hard to believe MLS played any part.

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #18 KALM, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    I'm reading the description of how they selected these names, and I think I've figured out what's going on here but it's a little silly.

https://www.iffhs.de/posts/894

Essentially they went through their year end rankings from the past 10 years. Anyone who finished first in one of those would receive 20 points. 2nd would get 19 points. And so on until 20th would get 1 point. They did this for all 10 years and then added up each manager's point total.

So Marsch ended up with 22 points because he was tied for 3rd in 2020 (worth 18 points) and 17th in 2019 (worth 4 points). However, Marsch's 3rd place finish in 2020 was tied with a handful of other managers with only 5 votes, while the top 2 picks Hansi Flick and Jurgen Klopp dominated the voting with roughly 400 votes between them. Yet, Marsch was credited with 18 points for his 5 votes that year while Klopp was credited with 19 points for his 125 votes. (Klopp got 20 points the year before with 369 votes.)

Additionally, sometimes only a handful of managers were credited with points in a year if a few managers thoroughly dominated in the voting. In other years, 20 different managers were credited with points if votes were more spread out.

The upshot of all of this is that Marsch ended in the top 20 of a best managers of the decade list while only getting 6 votes combined in the entire decade.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hmmm, I don't know.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um ... do they think Bremen is well coached?

Marko72 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The first half of this equation came to pass.........................

Marko72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Of course you did.

And well done.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neil Lennon is out at Celtic. While I personally think Marsch can do better in the form of a Bundesliga side (perhaps Monchengladbach??) or even a Premier League side like Crystal Palace should Hodgson move on after this season (I believe his contract is expiring without any imminent talk of an extension), It wouldn't be surprising to me to hear Marsch's name come up in the names of replacements.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55130253

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  26. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For me, Salzburg to Celtic is a downward move in 2021. There's no real reason to do that.

Marko72, TxEx and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.