Pre-match: Jersey Cows v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Apr 13, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GUYS - we've won 2 in a row, Red Bull on Saturday, it's Thursday and no thread. Where's the interest?

Who: Red Bull New York Red Bulls v. D.C. United
    What: MLS Round 6
    When: Saturday April 15, 7:30 PM
    Where: Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ
    Why: ******** the Red Bulls

Standings (W-L-T)
    NJ - 7th in East, 12th in MLS, 2-3-1, 7 Pts., -4 GD
    DC - 8th in East, 13th in MLS - 2-2-1, 7 Pts., -4 GD

Form (Old to Recent)
    NJ - WLDLL
    DC - DLLWW

Injuries
    NJ - Unknown
    DC - Vincent, Mullins

Suspensions
    NJ - Unknown
    DC - None

Projected Lineup
    Hamid
    NDL Birnbaum Boswell Kemp
    Harkes Marcelo Acosta
    Sam Ortiz Nyarko

Bench: Worra, Franklin, Opare, Buescher, Jeffrey Neagle, Le Toux

ALso, I'm making the bus trip up there for the first time, very excited!

dadman, TowsonDad, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would start Jeffrey over Marcelo and Le Toux over Ortiz.

roadkit, yabo, QuietSide and 1 other person repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def agree with Jeffrey, 50/50 on Le Toux/Ortiz. Above is what I think will happen not necessarily what I want to happen.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way Le Toux combines with his teammates. I see Ortiz as more of a Lone Ranger. Le Toux may not be able to go 90', but even the younger Ortiz has been subbed off in the second half.

dadman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe next year I'll start going back to taking roadtrips to Jersey, been treated too badly there the last few I went (not by the bus participants by Jersey residents who work there).

Big game against a team higher than us int he standings (right now anyway) on the road after we figured out how to play together the last couple of home games.
    I would like to see the defense stay organized and not let themselves get stretched. Maybe some better control in midfield, especially deep midfield.

We should be able to do this. I plan to do my part by wearing my DeadBulls lounge pants and my Better Dead than Red(bull) t-shirt while drinking local craft beer watching on TV.

United: 2
    cancer-causing energy drink salespeople: 1

Obligatory baby Jersey cow pics:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do I need to watch out for? My GF is going with me also

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FIWW
    and in Richmond

fatbastard repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear they've gotten better - just don't expect to be treated like a human beings and you'll be fine :)

Our problems up there have been relatively minor, I wouldn't worry too much - but I'd keep an eye on folks coming toward you - security will stop you from gong anywhere near their fans but usually look the other way when a few come to cause trouble.

Let me know if they allow you more access to the stadium as a whole now rather than restricting you to a small area with crap beer/food vendors - I've heard they do better lately, which is nice.

Trying to convince my GF to ever go back is difficult, I may have to go recon myself next time to see if/how it's improved.

dadman, Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Keep in mind that in Joisey Highly Cultured means that you've been swabbed for STDs at least 10 times (this year) so why should you expect to be treated with the dignity due to everyone else on the planet who doesn't live there?

10. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    This is our biggest rival. Its a crucial game, a defining game. They are the scum, and we must win.

A win or even a tie and we're starting to gel. A bad loss and we eat shit knowing that they are the scum and we should by all that is holy crush them like bugs and wipe their crappy pitch with the guts.

They are the scum. The cheatin', no-snow-plowin', whinin', floppin', you got burned Johnny Walker, named after the nastiest tasting shit drink in the world, scum. MLS has been trying for YEARS to help them win. They finally have, what, a supporters shield I think?

I remember a road trip a few years back when we went up, busses of us. Bright and sunny afternoon. DCU losing by a goal until like the 80th minute. Tied late and won in stoppage as I recall. We walked out, flags waving, drums banging as their fans stood in line for their "meet the team day". The dejected, depleted, depressed looks on their scum faces made us feel, well, positively alive.

I am sad I can't go, but I can share my wish for those who can... that YOU have the pleasure, the joy, the unmitigated privilege of being there to watch another DC team stomp on the pathetic dreams of each and every scum fan... that you can follow in the proud tradition of the spit heard round the world.

We've had, both during and since this last election, more than enough of what New York has to offer DC thank you very much. No matter your party or creed, right is right. DC is our home, our team, and the beat downs need to start flowing north.

We made a good start with NYCFC. Time to take out the trash, and crush the scum.

garbaggio, Boloni86, dadman and 6 others repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw the Metros Down the Well...
    So My Country Can Be Free!
    You Must Grab Them by Their Horns...
    Then We Have a Big Party!

[​IMG]

dadman, TowsonDad, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  12. DublinJimmy

DublinJimmy New Member

Bohemian F.C.
    Republic of Ireland
    Apr 14, 2017
    Hi all,

Apologies in advance for probably asking some stupid questions, but I'm in DC for a few months and looking to get to a few games whilst I'm here...

Planning on going tomorrow and just wondering if there's any difficulty getting tickets at the ground? Also, are there any bars around there to go to?

I'm from Dublin and follow Bohemian F.C. so looking to get my live football (soccer) fix.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

13. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, Jimmy! AFAIK there should be tickets available at the gate. Just be sure to not sit with the New Jersey RedBalls. ;)
    There are not any bars close by, but the custom here is to party pre-game in the parking lots, especially Lot 8. We call it "tailgating."

Here's a link to GoogleMaps: http://www.dcunited.com/matchday/directions-and-parking

If there are any Screaming Eagles, Barra Brava, or District Ultras members lurking, I'll leave it to them to fill you in about the supporters groups tailgates. Generally speaking, you'll be welcome so long as you don't come in wearing a NJ RedBalls kit. :)

14. DublinJimmy

DublinJimmy New Member

Bohemian F.C.
    Republic of Ireland
    Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks very much Winoman, appreciate the info!

I purpousely didn't refer to 'them' directly by name, they're trying their best to ruin the game in Europe as I'm sure you know...

Also, their Austrian franchise knocked us out of the Champions League with a cruel late goal in 2009, so hate them on a number of fronts :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also a fan of VfB Stuttgart, so I hate the Austrian and Leipzig franchises of the cancer causing drink, as well. :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match is in New Jersey, if you haven't been alerted to that already. But welcome all the same!

17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Winoman, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    :oops: @DublinJimmy , my apologies. I wasn't thinking, and I blame all of the allergy meds I'm taking now. As a matter of fact, the next three weeks games are all away. So if you'll be around until Saturday, May 6th, you'll be able to see a home game at RFK Stadium.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, today's game is AWAY in Harrison, NJ - Hence all the New Joisie jokes. Maybe if you had posted Wed or Thurs you could have joined one of the supporters groups buses. Buses up to NJ and NYC are used all the time. Don't know about next weeks game in Boston. Organizers from these groups may post info in the thread for this game next week.

And sadly, yes. There are no bars near RFK stadium. Tailgating (and licensed food trucks) is rampant in Lot 8, which is an easy walk from the Metro stop if you're staying in DC or near a Metro line.

dadman repped this.
  19. DublinJimmy

DublinJimmy New Member

Bohemian F.C.
    Republic of Ireland
    Apr 14, 2017
    Ah don't know how I mixed that up Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully make it in a few weeks so. Best of luck tonight and enjoy the trip.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  21. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Crush the scum

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Here's the lineup : Hamid, Kemp, Boswell, Birnbaum, Franklin, De Leon, Jeffrey, Harkes, Acosta, Sam, Ortiz

Nyarko not even on the bench. Anyone have any clue what's up? I remember the last game he was subbed off he was holding his head and didn't look very good. I wonder if concussion symptoms kicked in.

I'm surprised though that Olsen's first option is to go to Franklin. I hope it works, but I'm skeptical. Let's face it, De Leon is not the brightest player in the world. His role needs to be kept simple for him to succeed. I don't get why we would move him around just as he was locking down that RB spot. We have the team's leading goal scorer from last year on the bench. Put Neagle out on the wing because he creates a lot more danger than De Leon.

On the bright side, by moving De Leon into midfield, it opened a spot for Odoi-Atsem to make the bench.

Winoman repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They said hamstring I believe for Nyarko. I caught Simpson saying she was heckled. She didn't say which fans.

caliban and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When Shep Messing says that NYRB should shut up and play rather than bitch at the referees -- which is usually 50 percent of his commentary -- maybe the scum could take a note?

Meh first half. Counter doesn't seem to work for us -- Ortiz is showing me very, very little. Would love to see LeToux at 60.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Pretty even first half. Stoica is calling this game very tight which favors us. All the stopping and starting is keeping RB from finding any rhythm and it's annoying their players. They've already picked up some frustration yellow cards.

Realistically I'd settle for the 0-0. We have very little going forward. De Leon will never produce offense. I have no clue why he got put into the attack again. Our system desperately needs a target striker to hold the ball up. That's just not Ortiz's skillset. This is the 2nd game in a row where he's being physically owned by the opposing CB.

I'd love to see Neagle for Franklin, moving NDL back to RB. And Le Toux for Ortiz.