Jermaine Jones rips into Jordan Morris for his decision to stay in MLS

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 13, 2017.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Jermaine Jones stated today in an Instagram Live video that he talked to Jordan Morris (in early 2016, presumably) about deciding between a transfer to Seattle Sounders or Werder Bremen. Jones stated that he wanted Morris to transfer to Bremen and use the opportunity to advance his career. According to Jones, Morris stated that he wanted to stay home in Seattle, and Jones was not impressed with this decision.

I spotted this on Reddit and don't have a direct link.

Jones is of course right and wrong. I don't think it's necessary to explain the obvious reasons why Jones is right that top young US players should challenge themselves at the highest level of the game. Jones is also wrong because most American players don't have it as easy as he did, as Jones had the luxury of staying home with his family and friends until his transfer to Blackburn at the age of 29, and also the luxury of falling into a 2nd choice national team.

deuteronomy, kennytt, ShortyMac and 3 others repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'd have went after a couple years of establishing himself as a pro. If he chose Bremen he may have been playing in the reserves initially. Instead he started for Seattle and helped them win MLS Cup.

In MLS he's suddenly developed a passable left foot. His most recent appearances with the national team he was helping the US win the Gold Cup and get a result in Honduras. He wasn't available for the fateful camp. He's the last guy I could imagine loafing it in T&T. If it's one thing that dude does is play with desire.

I wanted him to go to Bremen initially, but he's such a bad scapegoat for this American generation being soft and leading to this failure.

Jermaine Jones is such an arse. Went to bat for Klinsmann too after the US didn't qualify, ignoring he dug the hole, and put together the squad that conservative Bruce was drawing from. Wish he'd never been part of the program. Up and down play, totally toxic figure, and he + Bradley were coach's pets who they built around, kept away from true competition in the most important part of the field. End result was ultimately losing it time and again. He was one of the culprits the first two camps of the hex.

3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

There is the full video. A lot in there. 14 minute rant.

Patrick167, HartwickFan, kennytt and 9 others repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Jones has the right to his opinions.

Morris, and only Morris, has the rights to choose what's best for his happiness. If he decided to quit playing soccer if that makes him happy, so be it.

However, those that fear to challenge themselves at the highest levels and climb the highest peaks can never lead and will forever remain in mediocrity. It is a waste of potentials in IMO.

Those that end up in the corner offices constantly challenge themselves, failed and learned in other to succeed and raise above all others.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Stop with this nonsensical b********t already.

Bruce has 10 months and 8 hex games to bring in other players, yet he consistently go to the craps that are Beaz, Zusi, Zardes, Gonzo, etc.

No one put a lock on him and told him these are the X, Y, and Z players he had to play.

Roldan was available, Rowe was available, so was Dwyer, Feilhaber, Miazga, Horvath, and many more.

Stop with the ignorance, and face the truth.

6. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Twitter:

FWIW, I really don't think Jones should be spouting off, but whatever. He is entitled to his opinion, that doesn't make him right.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're bringing the nonsensical bull***t. You act like a criticism of Klinsmann is a defense of Arena. I was among Arena's bigger critics too right before he was hired and then from Gold Cup on after I saw all the integration opportunities he was missing and tactical mistakes he was making. You're telling me that he should have moved much more quickly on Roldan!?!?

The reality is both can suck, and did suck. Jurgen was getting out-shot 21:6 by Haiti, losing at home to Jamaica, on the road to Guatemala, and was -5 goals off the first hex camp. He depleted the pool badly, his tactics were inept, and he alienated playres. Bruce didn't fix it because he's very conservative about who he trusts, also stunk tactically at this point, and he was creating built-in excuses in case he lost. I know the average guy would have fixed it. That's precisely my point. Neither were average coaches. But Jones argued that the US not qualifying somehow validated Jurgen. That's the complete opposite of the truth. You're being a tribalist here and blindly defending whoever speaks from a totally Euro-centric p.o.v., be it Jones or Klinsmann. They're wrong and so is Bruce. They are opposite extremes.

Dignan, Dirt McGirt, luftmensch and 11 others repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #9 ebbro, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I'd hardly call it a rant.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #10 schrutebuck, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Jones's opinions:

-Doesn't want an MLS coach as next US manager, as he wants a big name with a strong personality.
    -Compares the current generation of young players unfavorably to the group who mostly played in Europe when he joined the US in 2010 - he names Bocanegra, Howard, Bradley, Beasley, Donovan and his loan spells, and Cherundolo.
    -Wants players like Nagbe, "Keller" (I didn't understand this one - maybe Kellyn Acosta), Yedlin, and Brooks to play in Champions League.
    -Says that teams like Costa Rica, Honduras, and T&T gave respect to Pulisic that didn't carry over to the rest of the team since so many play in MLS.
    -Believes that national team managers should be able to call players into national team camps without having to spend time teaching, and that MLS doesn't do a good enough job preparing players. IMO, Jones seems to insinuate that Bradley, Klinsmann and Arena had to do too much teaching for his liking.
    -The opinion about Morris's decision to stay in MLS.
    -Most interestingly, Jones defends the players that returned to MLS on big-money deals after success in Europe (he specifically mentions Roma and Everton, so presumably Bradley and Howard).

11. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not trying to be a sick and no disrespect to you bro but do we seriously need to have a thread for every single thing?! I mean, some of these threads can be merged, I'm sure. You know what, nevermind... I am being dick and I apologize. This is a free country and to each his own. I should not even post this but I will just to remind myself of how much of a dick I can be sometimes. I guess I'm just frustrated of the whole thing and hope this is a bittersweet elimination that puts US (Men's) Soccer back on track to where we hoped back in 1994 it should've been by now in 2017. Again, my bad.

Starman*, 2in10 and Bajoro repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't seem like ripping to me.

Either way, I don't think the problem's Morris himself. I think the problem is Morris represents this kind of complacency and comfort which has plagued the generation we should be leaning on. They just seem soft to me. Not any one individual but its almost become a culture.

Previous generations would have seen guys jump at that type of opportunity. Probably why we were tougher back then.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I see a man in that video that spoke the truths, the hard truths.

If you don't have the guts to face the truths, you'll never get better.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He has a right to make Jurgen's case.for him. We are all standing on different ground than we were in March.

15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    He didn't really give an opinion on their decisions - he just said they had the good offers because they went abroad and earned respect.

juveeer and schrutebuck repped this.
  16. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Too many rich kids. Suburban soccer is not going to get it done.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Pay attention to the piece I quoted you on. You blamed Arena's roster selections on Klinsi, which is complete nonsense.

But I will agree with, neither Klinsi nor Arena were any good, and they both share the same blame for this extreme failure, so does Gulati.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he felt sorry for the boys, why has he scapegoated almost every player directly or indirectly the last year? That's what he's implying in that post that it was the players. Because the team was falling apart under Jurgen first and it continued under Bruce. He's always trying to make himself and his tribe look better.

Honore de Ballsac, Mahtzo1 and Geneva repped this.
  19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Nor to me. But he sure could've - I can't believe Morris would even tell Jones that one of his reasons was his girlfriend just got him a puppy.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pay attention. I called him "conservative Bruce". The point was that was Klinsmann's squad he was by and large drawing from because of his conservatism. So it's both their faults, about equally, in my opinion. Jermaine Junior is dead wrong that the U.S.' failure somehow validates Klinsmann. Quite the opposite is true. He's tied to it.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    The guy just want to stay home and play with his puppy, what's wrong with that?

;)

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, this just went viral.

I'm glad to see Jones speaking up. Exact type of thing our little bubble doesn't like and helped create this soft environment.

You don't have to agree with him. But enough of the biting your tongue because it might offend.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

He defended and agreed with Klinsi's believe to always push his players to test themselves at the highest level.

You disagree with?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris can cuddle with his puppy if he likes.

Problem is a guy like Chero at age 20 jumped head first into Germany and fought his way up to club captain, Mayor of Hannover.

That's the drive and ambition we're missing currently with so many. And frankly, Jones or not, I'm sure many others of that generation like Chero himself would not understand Morris' decision.

Boandlkramer, ShortyMac, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also ... Jones. :)